Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

In fact, if anyone is going to get their best victory ever, it is going to be Sebastian Vettel. I'm thinking a Monaco 1992 kind of thing. Hamilton, however, has his opportunity not to need a memorable win; just like his countrymen Mansell and Button, I suspect he'll win his dull races in his best car.

Strange that the people who are loving Mercs and Hamilton's dominance at the moment are the same people who hated RedBulls and Vettel's dominance in previous years..

I shall have to put my thinking cap on and wonder why that is...:thinking: Sorry no I can't figure it out dominance of any kind by anyone just dose not give me a Chubby...

Last edited:
Am I the only one who feels a sense of disappointment with Hamilton's career to date? I know he has won a World Title, and there aren't too many F1 drivers who have done that, but the level of expectation I had after his rookie season, for me at least, was so high and then through a combination of dodgy cars and external effects his career has stalled. I for one would have expected him to have won more than one title by now.

It would be great to see the Lewis Hamilton of 2007 re-emerge at Mercedes this year.

I am a bit late in answering this, but I think it boils down to: Vettel has turned every other racing driver's careers into a disappointment LOL

Strange that the people who are loving Mercs and Hamilton's dominance blah blah blah

At this point, comments like these are complete nonsense. We've had two GP. If Lewis and Nico win the next 7 races, then you can start to entertain comparisons with a Red Bull walkover. Until then, stop feigning amazement that a few Merc wins have been a welcome departure from the Vettel/RBR victory train to finish 2013.

KekeTheKing I think the point Mephistopheles is trying to make is that the style of the victories for Mercedes is the same as the style of the victories for Vettel in the second half of last year; Rosberg wasn't challenged in Melbourne and Hamilton wasn't challenged in Malaysia. What I think everyone wants to see in races is close racing, particularly at the sharp end; it doesn't matter if it's red bull, Mercedes, Williams, mclaren or Ferrari doing the walking over, we are never going to be entirely happy when one team is dominating!

I don't believe that was his goal. I saw it as yet another feeble attempt to belittle Hamilton fans who are rightly enthused by the start of this season. His inability to formulate a reply confirmed this for me.

The opinion that you have expressed is a valid one, and I think everybody enjoys a GP with an actual battle for the race win, but in actuality these occurrences are quite rare in Formula One. And 2 races is a very small sample.

Carrying on about Mercedes dominance right now is foolhardy. Especially when it's an open secret in the paddock that the Red Bull chassis is quite probably the fastest out there, and that if they get their software sorted and Renault can deliver a few horsepower, then they'll be right back at the front in no time.

At least if Red Bull get their act together we should see racing at the front. It will be interesting to see how Lewis and Nico go in the next few races and Ricciardo doesn't look like a slouch in the Red Bull so we might actually be in for an interesting season. And it only takes two cars to make a motor race.

Back to the topic, Lewis did look pleased with the result (as boring as the race was) so maybe we will see the exciting driver of 2007 again this season. The move from McLaren certainly seems to have done him some good and having a competitive car always make a racing driver happy.

Oh you're talking about Hamilton lovin his/Mercs dominance but hatin sebs/RBs dominance? Yeah got to agree. Hamilton is a total fanboy.

The opinion that you have expressed is a valid one, and I think everybody enjoys a GP with an actual battle for the race win, but in actuality these occurrences are quite rare in Formula One.

The last really good battle for a race win IMO, occurred when both Hamilton and Vettel fought from the beginning to the end, for an exciting finish, was the U.S. GP at Austin in 2012.

Red Bull wii undoubtedly close the gap to Mercedes, but I don't believe they will just steamroll them, with Vettel producing 9 consecutive wins as he did last year, because Mercedes is just too strong. I'm looking forward as others, for some great battles between Hamilton and Rosberg, and also Vettel and Ricciardo joining in those fights for race wins, while Red Bull's pace to Mercedes is expecting to close.

How do you know it didn't?

I think this whole tyre degredation band wagon has been played out now. Tyre degredation has been an issue in every single F1 race ever. Its because tyres are made of rubber ya know.

The extent of tyre degredation has changed through the years depending on the regs but every single racing driver ever has had to learn to manage it because its part of F1.

Just because its not talked about in the commentary doesn't mean its not happening and I"m sure it was just the same as had been all season at Texas. It was just at that point all the drivers and teams had learned to deal with it better.

I remember a race where Mansell came in from the lead of a race to change tyres this put him around 20 odd second behind his rival who did not stop but Mansell on the fresher tyres ,managed to overhaul this and win the race and so yes tyre deg has always played a part in motor racing it is just when it is extreme and artificially dictates a race that it becomes bollocks...

I remember a race...

87 British GP, pretty notable race. Ol Nige sold Piquet a dummy into Stowe. Silverstone went absolutely bonkers. Maybe Mansell's finest hour.

Tyre degredation has been an issue in every single F1 race ever.

Not really true. For decades the cars couldn't deliver sufficient downforce to really trash the tires and therefore pit stops were usually of an emergency nature and changing tires was extremely clumsy. And in the Bridgestone / Re-fueling era it was rarely tire degradation that dictated pit strategy, and so they could often pump in a string of qualifying laps without any regard for tire life. (Not to mention that the last iterations of the Potenza's were nearly bulletproof)

But that's really here nor there, as tire management is clearly paramount in the Pirelli era, and if Mercedes have finally solved their perennial wear issues then they'll be in extremely good shape going forward in 2014.

And Meph, thanks for posting that article, even though you couldn't pass up on an opportunity to have a swipe at some of your imaginary foes. If you're one thing, you're consistent.

Lewywo4 thats ok. I know the technical stuff is sometimes difficult ;)

Sorry. Bit of a rant. I just thing the whole thing about tyre deg got so overplayed last year because of the media. We heard more bitching and moaning about it than we did in 2005 when a set had to last the whole race! I think there were lots of reasons we didn't see battles for the lead last year and I don't think the main one was tyres.

Back
Top Bottom