Current Sergio Pérez

Sergio Perez Mendoza also known as 'Checo'. 21 years of age and 12 Grand Prix under his belt. Already has a contract for Sauber for next year, is part of the Ferrari driving acadamy, current favourite to replace Massa but what he didn't have was his own thread on Clip the Apex so I thought I'd sort him one out.

Won British Formula 3 at 18. Finished 12 in GP2 at 19. Finished runner-up in GP2 at 20. Made his GP debut at 21 and finished in the points only to be DQ'd later due to both Saubers breaking car regs. Had a big accident at Monoco and even chose to pull out of the Candian GP after realising he wasn't back to 100%. Has had 2 points finishes so far this season with his highest being a 7th place at Silverstone. Has been quite highly placed at both Spa and Monza in last couple of weeks but due to a tangle and a mechnical faiure didn't capitalise on it.

Has been beating his Team-mate Kobyashi reg in qualifying but has had difficulty translating that to the races. Sometimes you wonder if Perez suffers from Sauber tendency to try and make him do something different on the tyre strategy and whether he'd much rather just go for it and race with the pack. Having said that he has proved he has a head for strategy which could stand him in goodstead for the future.

Already impressed enough to get a second year with Sauber and is currently dueling with Paul Di Resta for the 'Rookie of the Year' award. What do you guys think of him? Star of the future or constant midfield runner?

If I recall correctly Sergio was asked or told to pull his socks up quite early in the season. I doubt that his situation was as much of a surprise to him as it was to some of us. Not particularly surprised, personally, since he really hasn't shown he can get anything extra out of the car. Accepted it's a dog but ....

It's a dog makes a big difference I think. Sergio also seems to think so.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24952698

He expected to go to a team with a race winning car, they expected to get a race winning driver. Given they have a mature, very experienced race winning, championship winning driver that also can't get that rust bucket higher than fifth I think Perez has reason to be pissed off that they are calling HIM the let down and I hope the other teams recognise this.

At this point Button still hasn't scored as many points as Perez did last year.

He attempted to have a personality behind closed doors apparently Meph which is actually the performance part of his contract he did not improve on.

Section 6: Employee Conduct
6.3. - Employees of McLaren must NOT show any level of personality or animation except when performing VoiceOver duties in the teams 'official and permitted' animation 'tooned' whereby employees MUST follow the script and direction precisely
6.3.1 - Employees of McLaren MUST attend 170 minutes per week (including mandatory factory shut down period) media training and coaching undertaken by Sam Michael

I think it's because he such a lousy voice actor. Tooned wasn't anything special this season. Maybe it needs to be axed unless they've already tested Magnussen's ability in the sound booth before awarding him a contract.

Outqualifies his team mate again and puts the car immediately behind two world champions who's teams are fighting it out for second in the constructors.

Another good showing from Perez. Glad he isn't doing a Maldonado.

Aren't McLaren still up against Force India for the WCC place? And Isn't Perez trying to secure a seat for 2014? It matters now for both the WCC and especially his career more than ever!

Team standings:

1 Red Bull Racing-Renault ...513
2 Mercedes ..........................334
3 Ferrari ...............................323
4 Lotus-Renault ................... 297
5 McLaren-Mercedes ............. 95
6 Force India-Mercedes ..........77
7 Sauber-Ferrari .....................45
8 STR-Ferrari ......................... 32
9 Williams-Renault .....................1
10 Marussia-Cosworth ...............0
11 Caterham-Renault .................0

So mathematically Macca hanging onto 5th from Force India for the moment. A three way battle for second although it's looking tough for Lotus now. Can Torro Rosso get back on terms with Sauber and will Williams get another point or two to consolidate 9th? I suspect a couple of those questions will be answered this evening.:)

Outqualifies his team mate again and puts the car immediately behind two world champions who's teams are fighting it out for second in the constructors.

Thing is though Hamberg Mclaren believe Magnussen would have put itnin front of those world champions.

From hearing the press stuff I've come to thr conclusion that Mclaren don't think Perez is a bad driver. They just think Magnusen is better.

Back
Top Bottom