Current Sergio Pérez

Sergio Perez Mendoza also known as 'Checo'. 21 years of age and 12 Grand Prix under his belt. Already has a contract for Sauber for next year, is part of the Ferrari driving acadamy, current favourite to replace Massa but what he didn't have was his own thread on Clip the Apex so I thought I'd sort him one out.

Won British Formula 3 at 18. Finished 12 in GP2 at 19. Finished runner-up in GP2 at 20. Made his GP debut at 21 and finished in the points only to be DQ'd later due to both Saubers breaking car regs. Had a big accident at Monoco and even chose to pull out of the Candian GP after realising he wasn't back to 100%. Has had 2 points finishes so far this season with his highest being a 7th place at Silverstone. Has been quite highly placed at both Spa and Monza in last couple of weeks but due to a tangle and a mechnical faiure didn't capitalise on it.

Has been beating his Team-mate Kobyashi reg in qualifying but has had difficulty translating that to the races. Sometimes you wonder if Perez suffers from Sauber tendency to try and make him do something different on the tyre strategy and whether he'd much rather just go for it and race with the pack. Having said that he has proved he has a head for strategy which could stand him in goodstead for the future.

Already impressed enough to get a second year with Sauber and is currently dueling with Paul Di Resta for the 'Rookie of the Year' award. What do you guys think of him? Star of the future or constant midfield runner?

SP: Hey Martin lets talk about my contract extension

MW: Ok. After practice Checo

*Smash, bang, wallop*

MW: (over sound of angry mechanics rebuilding) Bet you're not going to ask me about that contract extension for a bit now are you Sergio?

*Sergio walks off down the pit lane to see if Sauber still like him*

Bye-bye-male-smiley-smiley-emoticon-000155-large.gif

Hmmmmmm! Not sure about this decision!

1) McLaren have, in most opinions, produced one of their all-time shittiest cars for 2013.

2) Perez was a new driver, having to get used to something that was bad a different way every race.

3) Button has beaten him for points this year but is, himself, going to score about a third of 2012 points, currently 60 vs 188!.

4) When Perez came into F1 (2011) he scored only 14 points, but then got 66 the following year.

5) Similarly, his first season in GP2 (2009) netted only 22 points while 2010 was 5 wins, 2nd overall and 71 points.

I think there has to be a bit of passing-the-buck here by McLaren.

http://m.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/303283/perez-did-not-integrate-claims-ramirez/

So according to this it was his attitude not his driving that got him the boot. Interesting. I did say it couldn't have been driving alone.

Well good luck to McLaren if they don't want arrogant drivers anymore. Goes a way to explain why Hamilton left, Alonso won't go back, Hulk and Kimi don't appear to be interested and that Jenson's non points finish was described as a "brilliant drive".

http://m.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/303283/perez-did-not-integrate-claims-ramirez/

So according to this it was his attitude not his driving that got him the boot. Interesting. I did say it couldn't have been driving alone.

Well good luck to McLaren if they don't want arrogant drivers anymore. Goes a way to explain why Hamilton left, Alonso won't go back, Hulk and Kimi don't appear to be interested and that Jenson's non points finish was described as a "brilliant drive".

You really do have a chip on your shoulder about this? The entire quote was that "Jenson drove brilliantly to make his tyres last 44 laps. It's just a shame he couldn't do that from the beginning". You see, just by putting in the entire quote makes a whole world of difference.

Perez has not had his contract renewed. He has not lit up the world, and his sponsors haven't (allegedly) been paying the bills. I see nothing wrong with this; especially given the speed with which some would replace team principals around here!

Even news reports have said Whitmarsh deliberately praised Button at the same time being critical of Perez.

Even Button said Perez driving has improved this year and Magnusson is a risk.

Even Perez said he had signed and returned his part of the contract so it was a total shock.

And no, I'm not providing links as I can't be arsed.

Good for you that you don't see a problem with it, plenty of others do, EVEN on here but you guys carry on just commenting on/slagging off my posts.

Last edited:
It's a shame Perez didn't listen to the Don as he's potentially ruined his F1 career or getting a seat in a top team.

I feel bad for Perez. McLaren should have let him know that this was on the cards so he could prepare. He's a great talent and he hasn't been able to prove it this year. I hope he has a chance to get another drive and stay in the sport as he is a good driver.

Back
Top Bottom