Schumacher Injured

It did say a few days ago that he'd developed pneumonia, but according to Gary Hartstein this is the rule rather than the exception as the patient is unable to clear their throat in the automatic response that a conscious person would. I'm not sure the infection is too detrimental as it's treatable, but it is a complication.
The fact it's been a couple of weeks now off sedatives isn't terribly positive though.

It seems rather surreal that someone so well-known as Michael can be struck down like this so suddenly. I realise it happens all the time but some people are so familiar in the media and just get to a stage where they're part of the establishment that you almost think they're invincible. I guess Princess Diana was similar in that she was just in the media constantly (and annoyingly) but when she'd gone it was a huge shock to a lot of people.

Finally some sense on the matter in that, what I have been saying from the very beginning it was just a tragic accident there is no-one to blame apart from his own actions which is not to say I blame him, he is completely allowed to do and go where he wants to but when you put yourself at risk sometimes things go wrong, he has probably skied on that part of the mountain numerous times without incident.

I wish him a speedy and full recovery and a long life...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26225454

Last edited:
There appear to have been two quite separate investigations. The one quoted on the BBC has clearly been looking into whether any blame could have been directed at the managers of the ski resort and also whether Schumacher himself was responsible for his own accident. It's always unfortunate to ask a question like that but it does need to be asked in an attempt to prevent a similar tragedy in the future.
The other investigation appears to have focused on equipment, in other words his helmet. The obvious question they are asking is what caused his helmet to split. The helmet clearly saved his life and whether it split or not may prove to be irrelevant, his injuries may still have been just as serious. A cracked or split helmet has often done its job, but for all who ski or ride bikes finding the answer to its effectiveness would be invaluable. Whether the reports on his helmet are published in the Daily Mail or not doesn't really matter, as long as they are accurate and that depends on their source not the name of the paper.

Last edited:
Of course you don't, it is only us plebeians in the northern hemisphere who would be taken in by such shit reporting..

A simple search of the New Zealand tabloids brought up these news worthy headline by the Marlborough Express.

Dog Bites Picton Man!

Cow Killed by Train!

Roundabout Only Option!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express
You'll find headlines like these and any small-town newspaper anywhere in the world. They're of interest to locals, thats really the beginning and end of their significance even though they're likely to be true.

Every country have newspapers like that......especially where Rupert Murdoch tentacles can be found.
I don't believe you'll find evidence of Rupert Murdock tentacles reaching New Zealand. Occasionally our papers are criticized but for the most part we have every reason to feel proud of our press and journalistic standards.

Is there such a thing as New Zealand news though? All its media is run from Australia.

Anyways a quick look at the New Zealand Hearld shows it is owned by the APN Group who are in turn owned and run by the same people who run INP. A quick look at those people and you'll find many a story of big links to German arms dealers, Dodgy take overs of Airbus Canada and phoenixing companies to profit in about 1.3 Billion quid which should have been paid to various countries in tax.

So no Murdoch Kewee but plenty of corruption. You are aware you live in New Zealand and not Isengard aren't you? :)

The question is not whether the New Zealand press is boring, owned by Satan or whether the country is, on fact, Isengard. The question is whether the New Zealand press make stuff up.

I also am surprised at the fact people can't believe there could possibly be a better newspaper industry than ours; surely there must.

But don't tell my voicemail I said that!

Who owns the papers is not my concern. All our papers have their own journalists responsible for local news, to be clear 'local New Zealand news', not the type that may have escaped Australia by hop hop hopping onto a ship headed across the Tasman.ROFL The International news is sourced collectively through the normal reputable channels, BBC, CNN, Reuters, AP, UPI, a less dominant player now. It then becomes the various papers decision which stories make it to print or onto our screens. Generally they do a decent job. New Zealanders are considered to be some of the most well travelled and well informed people on the planet thanks to our news services and our curiosity due to our being so far from the worlds major events. Many of us have travelled extensively. It never ceased to amaze me that none of the men I worked with in the West End, all of them very well educated and between the ages of 40 to 65 years had ever been to Paris. It was only a twelve pound bus ride away for crying out loud. One last point, tabloid refers to a papers size and shape as opposed to a broadsheet, tabloid doesn't refer to the quality of the content though clearly some tabloids in Britain leave more than a little to be desired.

Last edited:
So basically your updates on Schumacher (oooh hello topic!) are just as likely to be bumfluff as ours are because they come from the same sources? Earlier you said NZ sources were more reliable.

Oh and TBY - news is international in the western world. Your news comes from the same sources no matter which country you're in.

Back
Top Bottom