Schumacher Injured

Plutus I think the news is breaking across all the American networks.

I trust CNN. They are quoting doctors that are close to the family. This really is very sad news but in many ways we probably should have expected it considering the length of time he's been in a coma.

Someone can stay in a coma for a very long time if it's a result of illness but it's far more serious if it's the result of a brain injury as is the case with Schumacher.

Last edited:
Or the telegraph?

But it seems very odd... Earlier today, there was news that MSc was breathing on his own, now 'only a miracle' will save him. Gary Hartstein's blog makes better reading here though!

The Artist..... CNN made it clear that the news they were receiving from doctors close to the family, was far more grave than other reports that were being published. As I said CNN is generally very reliable.
I'm not convinced or encouraged by Gary Hartstein's most recent article. He only states he doesn't know whether Schumacher is breathing on his own or not. He doesn't have enough information to form any meaningful opinion. What he has said in past articles is the longer Michael is in a coma the less likely he would be able to make a reasonable recovery. In his words, " We are unlikely to see the Michael we once knew.

Last edited:
Gary is right in that any self-respecting 'doctor' would never describe a 'miracle' being needed for Michael to recover. That story from yesterday is very irresponsible.

teabagyokel

It's less a case of a doctor with religious faith, but more what is medically responsible. If doctors have said this, it could be taken in many ways, rather than actually giving real, hard advice. There are two major questions- what constitutes a miracle and what constitutes recovery? Both of these are uncertain terms, and doctors, ethically, are meant to avoid statements to patients which are interpretable in multiple ways.

If a doctor has said this to a journalist, based on having treated MSc, then I would hope that doctor is struck off and fined massively.

When an article has to write "reportedly" more than 3 or 4 times in a few paragraphs, it is probably better to not write the article- or if you're a reader, not to believe it, or at least not to take it as gospel.

It seems bizarre that the daily mail/telegraph are focussing in on a negative story, when there was a positive story (probably with as much truth in it) yesterday, and a neutral story (no change), which is probably closest to the truth!

I don't think "breathing on his own" is any kind of benchmark. A person can be in a complete vegetative state (brain dead), yet the body carries on breathing.

This is just extremely sad news.

Even though I don't think he meant it in any negative way, I think it's a quite nonsensical statement. Michaels family would probably not see it that way...

It is a stupid thing to say nonetheless. It is a bit like saying you believe same-sex marriage is causing floods over Britain that is also in line with some peoples Christian view.

Back
Top Bottom