Races Entered 107
Race Wins 15
Pole Positions 20
Fastest Laps 12
Driver World Championships 1
Constructor World Championships 1

Team History

Before Red Bull

In 1997 Paul Stewart, aided by his father Jackie and the Ford Motor Company, made the leap from F3000 to F1 as an entrant. Jonny Herbert won 1 race for the Stewart team before it was sold off to Ford who re-branded the cars as Jaguar.

Ford stuck with it through thick and thin (mainly thin) through to the end of 2004 before selling the team to Dietrich Mateschitz, who owns the Red Bull drinks brand, for $1 on the understanding he invested $400 million over 3 years

Red Bull Racing

With Christian Horner installed as team principal, McLaren refugee David Coulthard and Christian Klien as the drivers Red Bull went racing. Their first season was certainly more successful than Jaguar had managed, even with the same Cosworth power plant, with Coulthard managing a 4th place at the European Grand Prix and the team finishing 7th in the Constructors Championship.

Adrian Newey joined from McLaren as chief designer for 2006 and Red Bull swapped to Ferrari engines. Coulthard managed a podium at his "home" race in Monaco prompting Christian Horner to jump naked, other than wearing a red cape, into a swimming pool.

Christian Klien, who shared the car with Vitantonio Liuzzi in 2005 and Robert Doornbos in 2006, departed the team for 2007 and was replaced by Mark Webber. The RB3 was the first full "Newey" car and was coupled with a Renault motor. The car was very unreliable, suffering from a variety of different problems but Webber managed a podium at the European Grand Prix and the team finished 5th in the WCC.

Retaining the same engine and drivers for 2008 Red Bull slipped back to 7th in the WCC and again only managed a single podium, for Coulthard in Canada, but the reliability issues which plagued the car the previous season were mainly resolved.

2009 was Red Bull's break through year. With Coulthard having retired Webber was joined by Red Bull junior driver Sebastien Vettel. The new rules allowed Newey to design a car which challenged for both the Drivers and Constructors Championship. Webber won 2 races, Vettel 4 and the team climbed to 2nd in WCC taking 3 pole positions en-route.

In 2010 Red Bull justified Mateschitz's investment winning the Constructors title and Vettel the Drivers Championship. They won 9 races through the season, 5 for Vettel and 4 for Webber and took 10 poles. Webber led the title race for much of the season but it was the 23 year old Vettel who stole the title in the last race of the season and became the youngest Champion as a result.

2011 sees the team retain the same driver line up as 2010 and continue with Renault engine power in the new RB7 car.

Red Bull is an aggressive marketing company that associates with extreme sports and youthfulness

They are not well liked for taking over a local Austrian football team and plastering everything with Red Bull. F1 is a big marketing tool for them due to the Tv coverage

For them to build their own engine they will need to hire extra engineers and set up and engine building division. I suggest they consider speaking to Ilmor who have history of building powerful Merc engines in the past unless they get another manufacturer involved
---------------------------------------------

Back to current situation they have backed themselves into a corner .

Arrivabene is being mischievous that Ferrari welcome competition between factory teams and customer teams . History shows there has only been 1 victory for a customer team powered by a Ferrari engine plus Haas are adamant they will be not be treated as a Ferrari B team and get access to the Ferrari windtunnel which should be interesting

Enough else remember on of McLaren's sponsors paid Porsche to develop an engine for them and we had the incredible Tag Turbo. Perhaps Red Bull will ask Audi or Porsche to do the same thing, taking Ferrari engines as a stop gap for 2016.

Red Bull is an aggressive marketing company that associates with extreme sports and youthfulness

They are not well liked for taking over a local Austrian football team and plastering everything with Red Bull. F1 is a big marketing tool for them due to the Tv coverage

For them to build their own engine they will need to hire extra engineers and set up and engine building division. I suggest they consider speaking to Ilmor who have history of building powerful Merc engines in the past unless they get another manufacturer involved
---------------------------------------------

Back to current situation they have backed themselves into a corner .

Arrivabene is being mischievous that Ferrari welcome competition between factory teams and customer teams . History shows there has only been 1 victory for a customer team powered by a Ferrari engine plus Haas are adamant they will be not be treated as a Ferrari B team and get access to the Ferrari windtunnel which should be interesting

The Ilmor that had the history of building great engines for Mercedes, was bought by Mercedes and is now called Mercedes High Performance Engines (the engine division of Mercedes-AMG F1). The new Ilmor was setup by Mario Ilien and Roger Penske and has a history of making Honda engines for Indy racing.

Batman That is why I think Red Bull would be interested in them building engines. The old Ilmor became a victim of corporate Mercedes after Paul Morgan died and lead to future problems with the Merc engines at Mclaren ( I might add possibly the disastrous Daimler Chrysler might also be a factor)

Greenlantern101

I thought it was the Ferrari windtunnel Haas will have access to and he has made it quite clear .

Red Bull are caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment

Greenlantern101 I found this article:Haas F1 Team, Ferrari reportedly cleared of wind-tunnel wrongdoing

It might be that the Haas wind tunnel is one of the best but it won't have been developed with F1 in mind, in particular the restriction that you can only use models not full scale cars. Plus the people running the wind tunnel won't have experience with F1 like the Ferrari guys do. I also found a few articles confirming that many of the F1 wind tunnels also have rolling roads, which seems to be the main advantage mentioned in the Wiki article about the Haas tunnel.

SPEEDWEEK Formel 1 - Dr. Helmut Marko (Red Bull): Keine Tiefe mit Mercedes
"
There is also some talk that Red Bull had received in Monza by Mercedes for the supply of engines a rejection. If so - what grounds Mercedes says no?

The Mercedes-discussions have come to an end, we were still not in depth. Since there were certain conditions, but we are never even come close to to discuss this in detail. Now let's see, with which engine we will go. Perhaps we beat them so yes. Then it would be more unpleasant than if it would have happened with a Mercedes engine."

Helmut is a really bitter that Red Bull did not get Mercedes and hopes which ever engine he gets they will stuff Mercedes
I think I only have two words to say them to Helmit and Red Bull " F U " you arrogant :censored: they have lost even more respect this season with their constant bitching

Who wants to partner with a team that blames the engine because it aint winning

Last edited:
RasputinLives I have not seen such castigation about an engine partner like the one Red Bull have done with Renault

Now I know engine partners and teams have fall outs like Williams and BMW and Prost and Peugeot but not such relentless public humiliation like Red Bull have done with Renault

I am surprised Renault have not gone on strike to teach Red Bull a lesson

Q. If Toro Rosso with the same engine and less money are on the pace of the A team. What does this say about Horner's leadership skills compared with Franz Tost's ? Assuming that the drivers in each team are about the same ability

Now Helmut is bitter about Mercedes not giving them engines

But lets go back to my original point.

You throw criticism for coming out and saying its the engines fault but at the same time you also have a rant about Mclaren and Honda not admitting its the engine thats the issue.

Mixed messages.

Its the way Red Bull are doing it which asks the question who wants to be their engine partner ? Openly savaging their partner and then blaming everyone else and acting like bad losers
- " If you don't change the rules we will quit F1!"

With Mclaren - Honda the only difference I see is Mclaren trying to reach out to Arai san and make him understand the urgency of the matter more persuasively and he seems to not realise how difficult things are. Last week at Monza was the first sign of serious tension between Mclaren and HOnda.

Arai san makes bold predictions and then when the performance is nowhere near that then it is a cause for embarassment

Last edited:
I guess no other team has ever threaterned to quit F1 unless they get what they want only.....all of them.

You do make some very good points about them sometimes but unfortunately I can't escape the feeling the Marko and Red Bull could pay for a luxury island to be constructed to house all the fleeing refugees across Europe and you'd still.say he was a dick for doing it. What that means is Injust take everything with a pinch of salt.

RasputinLives I will add up and until recently then if you offer a comparison between Toro Rosso and Red Bull

How long ago is recently? If you go back to Malaysia they were on a par but since then they've be way behind. Kvyat and Ricciardo have 8 points finishes each with Verstappen and Sainz having 4 each. To be honest if you take away Verstappens big finish in Hungary, which happened only recently, Torro Rosso are being hammered.

I'll leave the refugees comment out as he would be an unlikely saviour if he did do that ...they need a Moses and he aint it he's more like the Dark Lord/ Emperor Palpatine

Renault has confirmed it is renegotiating its contract with Red Bull after making clear it is no longer willing to be an engine supplier, and questioning the Formula 1 team's sportsmanship

Don't really want to see Renault quit F1 - they always get it right in the end - they have a history in pulling it off

Have you got an article where they question the teams sportsmanship? Be interested to read that. Only seen them talking about not being willing to be an engine supplier.

Back
Top Bottom