Races Entered 107
Race Wins 15
Pole Positions 20
Fastest Laps 12
Driver World Championships 1
Constructor World Championships 1

Team History

Before Red Bull

In 1997 Paul Stewart, aided by his father Jackie and the Ford Motor Company, made the leap from F3000 to F1 as an entrant. Jonny Herbert won 1 race for the Stewart team before it was sold off to Ford who re-branded the cars as Jaguar.

Ford stuck with it through thick and thin (mainly thin) through to the end of 2004 before selling the team to Dietrich Mateschitz, who owns the Red Bull drinks brand, for $1 on the understanding he invested $400 million over 3 years

Red Bull Racing

With Christian Horner installed as team principal, McLaren refugee David Coulthard and Christian Klien as the drivers Red Bull went racing. Their first season was certainly more successful than Jaguar had managed, even with the same Cosworth power plant, with Coulthard managing a 4th place at the European Grand Prix and the team finishing 7th in the Constructors Championship.

Adrian Newey joined from McLaren as chief designer for 2006 and Red Bull swapped to Ferrari engines. Coulthard managed a podium at his "home" race in Monaco prompting Christian Horner to jump naked, other than wearing a red cape, into a swimming pool.

Christian Klien, who shared the car with Vitantonio Liuzzi in 2005 and Robert Doornbos in 2006, departed the team for 2007 and was replaced by Mark Webber. The RB3 was the first full "Newey" car and was coupled with a Renault motor. The car was very unreliable, suffering from a variety of different problems but Webber managed a podium at the European Grand Prix and the team finished 5th in the WCC.

Retaining the same engine and drivers for 2008 Red Bull slipped back to 7th in the WCC and again only managed a single podium, for Coulthard in Canada, but the reliability issues which plagued the car the previous season were mainly resolved.

2009 was Red Bull's break through year. With Coulthard having retired Webber was joined by Red Bull junior driver Sebastien Vettel. The new rules allowed Newey to design a car which challenged for both the Drivers and Constructors Championship. Webber won 2 races, Vettel 4 and the team climbed to 2nd in WCC taking 3 pole positions en-route.

In 2010 Red Bull justified Mateschitz's investment winning the Constructors title and Vettel the Drivers Championship. They won 9 races through the season, 5 for Vettel and 4 for Webber and took 10 poles. Webber led the title race for much of the season but it was the 23 year old Vettel who stole the title in the last race of the season and became the youngest Champion as a result.

2011 sees the team retain the same driver line up as 2010 and continue with Renault engine power in the new RB7 car.

Good on Mercedes if true because Red Bull just want to piggy back on their hard work

I told you The Empire ( Dark Lord Helmut Marko and Grand Moff Horner ) should have kept their mouths shut. How many times will people put up with " We're not winning because our engine is :censored:" they've been doing that to Ferrari, Renault and surely Mercedes would worry about brand damage

Its about time someone put them in their place... I feel sorry for the young drivers and the hard working Red Bull engineers that are caught in a limbo

RasputinLives really? Merc, Ferrari and Renualt 'Works Teams'. Williams back on form and Haas joining next year. Ok we will be 2 cars down. But so what. I won't miss them and F1 will be just fine without them as well.

The latest rumours are leaning towards both Red Bull and Toro Rosso moving to Ferrari engines for next season. And Manor will probably then move to Mercedes engines, or possibly Sauber but there are no rumours about them as far as I know. Seems a pretty big gamble from Ferrari if it does happen, what if Red Bull start beating the works team?!

Greenlantern101 Red Bull do a lot for F1 and Motorsport up and down the grid with investment and development.

On top of all that the 'works' teams are the exact reason we need a team like Red Bull who are actual going to challenge and push them because, lets face it, all the other teams will roll over and play lap dog for the manufacturer teams (most of them are already including Williams).

People may not like Red Bull because they dominated and are fronted by people like Horner and Helmet who are instantly dislikable but they invest in the sport and its drivers. They would be sorely missed.

Last edited:
Ferrari don't want either because they have Vettel.

Of course Red Bull and Ferrari have teamed up before and even took a race win.

The consensus seems to be Verstappen is the target should Red Bull decide to leave F1 . Ferrari would rather have guaranteed money for their engines which they are still owed money from Sauber and Manor

With Red Bull the money is guaranteed and Ferrari probably don't want to be chasing teams for missing payments and rather have guaranteed income

off course Ferrari could give Red Bull :censored: engines so they leave the sport and they can pick off the drivers ... the conspiracy theory begins

Ferrari don't want Red Bulls drivers. They wanted one of Red Bulls drivers and they got him. They are quite happy with what they have right now as seen by the resigning of a pretty useless Kimi.

Ferrari have got bargaining power of supplier so I wonder how much they would tease Red Bull that they have first options on Ricciardo or Verstappen for a cheaper engine deal

Look, they aren't leaving. Here is how I see the engine scenario playing out for 2016.

Mercedes: Mercedes, Williams, Force India
Ferrari: Ferrari, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Haas
Renault: Lotus/Renault, Sauber
Honda: McLaren, Manor

Sauber to Renault is a little out of left field but other than that and Manor (I think they'll stay Ferrari or go Merc) I think you're probably about spot on.

Is everyone totally discounting the notion that Red Bull could eventually take the extremely costly step of developping their own engine? I think that remains a possibilty.

I know, I was actually thinking more in terms of Red Bull temporarily leaving F1 in order to concentrate on developing their own engine. I know it's a long shot but Red Bull are not an ordinary team. I mean whenever I switch the telly on to watch a sports program there always seems to be some sort of Red Bull presence sponsoring this and that. They just seem to be absolutely everybleedin' where. When you consider that they put themselves in a position where a Ferrari engine is their only realistic prospect of remaining in F1 in the short-term they're clearly working on something behind the scenes, whateve that is. If you put two and two together with them you don't quite know what kind of number you end up with.

Back
Top Bottom