Pirelli 2013 F1 tyre range

Blog Zbod

You're missing my point - i'm not saying that Button is superior in managing his tyres, just that there are 2 ways of dealing with the tyres - one leads to the tyres going off after 5 laps, the other allows the tyres to last for longer, and still have pace left in them at the end....

Actually I just thought, I do have a complaint about Pirelli tires, maybe. Is it the fact that we have a lot less wet running or are the Pirelli tires absolutely crap in the wet compared to Bridgestones?

I know Pirelli said they think Hamilton's tyre failure was caused by metal debris on the track but considering Massa's two tyre failures today is that plausible? I've been wondering whether the failures could be caused by running over bits of discarded rubber? We've seen that some pretty big chunks can be lying around on the circuit. Could these be shaped in such a way to be sharp enough to damage a tyre if run over?

Worth reading: http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/8652062/Paul-Hembery-Q-A-F1-s-tyre-debate

Apparently 8 of the teams don't want anything to change.
In my view, Hembery only ever speaks in ambiguities, couched phrases, equivocations, ad hominems and weasel words. Even if true, even if it was eight team principals who expressed this (he is deliberately obtuse), that by no means is any indication they are happy with the performance of the tyres. To the contrary, it is quite likely they know a better tyre will not materially improve their WCC result, which means they won't win more prize money as the result of a change, which means they will see limited (or no) return on the investment from scrapping the current setup and developing the chassis to suit the new tyre. And spending to accommodate a new, better 2013 tyre depletes resources that could be being applied to the development of the completely new 2014 car, made an all the more heartening prospect because F1 might be Pirelli-free next season.

Hembery, as usual, frames this information as if it is incontrovertible proof the disinte-Pirellis are ace.

There seems to be some confusion on the web regarding a 5 year contract (from 2014) that Pirelli wants with F1. Apparently Ecclestone was asked about it last weekend and denied reports that it was signed and sealed. Other sources are saying that it is Pirelli holding out because they want to be able to supply the "right" tyres.

The truth as ever lies somewhere in between. I suspect that Pirelli are at last becoming concerned about being asked to provide lower quality performance products than they are capable of making. Pirelli's concern will be that Joe and Jane Ordinary Public don't necessarily understand the demands being made of them in F1 and that the public image of their road tyres is, or may be, tarnished by association.

All about the tyres.png

This made made chuckle though:

Quote " Pirelli had originally planned to repaint the car in their black and yellow colours and use it for promotional purposes at dealerships and company events, however it seems no one is interested in taking it on.

The company’s motorsport director Paul Hembery said: 'There doesn’t seem to be a lot of enthusiasm, it’s a bit of a shame really. Our marketing department said nobody seems to want to use it. So I said let’s put it on eBay for charity. Now we are trying to find a category on eBay for an F1 car.’ " End quote

What it I was muttering about a few posts ago? :thinking: Methinks their own dealers aren't too keen on Pirellii's current association with F1.:chuffed:

Back
Top Bottom