Pirelli 2013 F1 tyre range

Apparently the problem is a metal ring in the shoulder which, when it overheats, could melt the tread.

A decision will be made next week as to whether there will be new tyres by the British GP.

Where is this debris coming from? That's the question. I'm still wondering whether the debris causing issues is discarded rubber from the tyres but otherwise I don't see how debris on the track could have got much worse. It might just be random though, we usually see a few punctures in a season so maybe they've just all happened at once this year.

snowy I think the tyres are made in Taiwan:D

:thinking:sushifiesta I think rubber debris is softish. Most debris other than the marbles is likely to be carbon fibre shards from damaged bodywork and wings following crashes and gravel dragged onto the track by cars running wide.

Brogan I think you must have a better "Pirelli excuse alert system" than me since you are finding more Pirelli explanations faster than mine does.LOL

"Don't worry chaps, it's just the increased debris coming off our tyres and rather awkwardly lying around on the track that is doing further damage to the tyres, causing the tread to come off the carcass. No problem, not dangerous, but we'll sort it out anyway (by doing nothing). But isn't it leading to great racing?"

Well... no, actually.

The FIA are simply missing the basics.

Remove the top 10 start on what they qualified on rule, along with the mandatory pitstop and with racing on both compounds.

Remove that factor, and Pirelli bringing tyres that are a little more durable, we'll get some racing and some strategy.

I would also reduce the stress on the tyres by limiting front and rear wings to one simple element and insisting on no carbon fibre or similar brakes.

I wonder why Pirelli felt it necessary to make such drastic construction changes for the 2013 tires. Weren't just about all parties happy with the balance they had struck with their 2012 P Zero's. Anyway, looks like they're heading back in that direction.

Will Buxton said at the end of the NBCsports broadcast that Ferrari proved today that drivers can push on these tires. Yes, they had 4 stops, but Alonso and Massa were on it all day and were VERY fun to watch...I'm fine with changing the tires for next season, but I hope it's not too drastic when the changes go through at Silverstone.

Back
Top Bottom