Pirelli 2013 F1 tyre range

Pirelli are required as part of their contract to provide the teams full details and specifications of the tyres for the following season on 1st September the previous year. The teams would have known the details of this seasons tyres by 1/9/12 so would have been able to use this information in the design. Testing would simply tell them how successful they have been.

The issues this weekend have been concerning, and safety is paramount, hence changes should be made, and can be made without the unanimous approval of the teams.

That said, Pirelli adressed the delamination issue as best they could with no unanimous backing from the teams, and this weeks issues seem to me at least to be largely unrelated. The piece by Gary Anderson at turn 4 post the race would indicate that there is more at play at least at this rate, and there are other avenues of investigation which need to be pursued.

Couple that with the teams pushing the boundaries on tyre pressures and cambers, which was also mentioned this weekend, and you have a potential perfect storm.

I am no expert on tyres and high speed racecar dynamics, however, running a tyre at low pressure on a high speed, high-ish downforce track with corners like Beckets, Stowe and Copse is going to cause seriously excessive sidewall movement. Add in a razor edged curb to weaken the tread of the tyre, then you have an issue.

I know that Pirelli have become the popular enemy recently, and this last race has done little to alleviate that, however, they have proposed changes, which were not allowed, they have tried to test, and make improvements, which backfired, and they take the ire of the fans when they are attempting to fulfil a brief given to them.

And they still seem set to continue next season.

If I were in charge of Pirelli, I would suggest F1 tries its luck with a new supplier next season.

I have mixed views. Whilst the British GP was entertaining, exciting, it was manipulated by exploding tyres. Nine I believe throughout the weekend, if you take explosions and near explosions. I don't think you can blame curbs for that. It may have contributed, but if a tyre can't ride a curb it really isn't fit for purpose. Curbs are always ridden. I feel a little sorry for Pirelli who Ar having terrible negative press but those tyres are dangerous and that GP was lose to being red flagged. Surely they have the responsibility and integrity to say ' Im sorry, we can't make a tyre like that its dangerous' . You can't make an unfit for purpose and unsafe product just because a client asks you to.

Massa had issues with the Kerbs in India, and I do not recall too many people suggesting that Ferrari should change their suspension.

The tyres have also proven that they can ride kerbs, as it is only well in to the season that these things have come to light. If it was simply the tyres (which it may be, I do not know myself) then surely something would have happened of a similar nature somewhere else, Canada for example?

The FIA appear to have put a no-win brief in front of Pirelli. They've been manufacturing very good tyres for over 90 years and I can't help wondering how damaging it's relationship with Formula One has become. I think if I were Pirelli I'd make a carefully worded public statement while privately telling the FIA to get stuffed.

At least, there have been no changes to the kerbs as I understood had been suggested.

It does look like a perfect storm of many factors, rather than simply "Shit tyres"

As an ex-gardener, I would like to suggest that things change - especially when they are built on earth and last year was one of the wettest and most destructive. Just because the kerbs have not been changed, doesn't mean they haven't altered, i. e. sunk.

And then he comes out with this little gem:

""We have had them checked by the FIA and they conform fully with the FIA. I think the problem is that we had the secret three-day test for Mercedes a few weeks ago - that test was to build a tyre that was strong enough for the British GP."

Was it? And was the aim of the 'test' spoken about in the Tribunal?

It's the tyres, as far as I'm concerned. Blaming the kerbs or the track temperature are red herrings in my view (as an onlooker, admittedly). The Silverstone kerbs and those like them around the world have been around, and far higher track temperatures than we had on Sunday have been coped with perfectly well, for yonks.

But, as one who has been very critical of Pirelli ever since the first catastrophic delaminations, I don't blame them entirely. I do believe some of the teams also need to shoulder some of the responsibility for not getting the issue resolved before now, through their various objections to changing the tyre construction for fear of the loss of their perceived performance advantages.

In fact the general reluctance of anyone involved, the FIA included, to consider the seriousness of the safety issue above their own vested interests until now, shows them all (with the possible exception of Mercedes ;)) in a very poor light.

After the race on the "SkyPad", Anthony Davidson showed that there appears to have been some serious changes to the tire construction this year already. When the delaminations first appeared this season, the steel belt of the tire was visible, and the tire remained largely intact. Eventually they evolved into complete destruction of the belts as well. It's been said that the adhesive is the only thing that's changed, but I'm not sure that can explain the drastic evolution in delaminations/blowouts.

Sky-Eau-Rouge-1994.jpg

Back
Top Bottom