Pirelli 2013 F1 tyre range

The thinking now and a lot to do with the kerbs:

Analysis: British Grand Prix Pirelli tyre failure causes

1372675556.jpg
I guess that could do some damage.

The main problem is the steel belts though. They changed to steel to save money (per Sky post race), and its costing them big time.

I believe it was Brundle who quite flatly stated in Sky post race coverage that the change from Kevlar to Steel was largely an economic decision.

Here's an idea, why don't the teams run the tyres at the manufacturers recommended pressures and the drivers keep the ****ing car inside the limits of the track. If either driver or team chooses to ignore such advice then on their own head be it. Or am I just being too simplistic?

That piece of rough kerb on hangar straight isn't a new feature so why would it be causing punctures? The new section of Silverstone isn't brand new so why didn't we get these failures when the track was 1st changed.

The issue is the tyres, anyone blaming kerbs or the track is just looking for reasons not to put the blame with Pirelli.

Hwhy don't the teams run the tyres at the manufacturers recommended pressures and the drivers keep the ****ing car inside the limits of the track.

Not to mention that they're running the tires on the opposite side they're intended for. I haven't a clue on how this affects their stability. I wonder if Pirelli even knows.

The tyres will be changed this weekend to have Kevlar belts and then they will use the 2012 tyres from Hungary onwards.

Here's an idea, why don't the teams run the tyres at the manufacturers recommended pressures and the drivers keep the ****ing car inside the limits of the track. If either driver or team chooses to ignore such advice then on their own head be it. Or am I just being too simplistic?

Echoing the words of several commentators and Alonso this weekend, I don't think you're ever going to get the drivers not pushing it to the limits, trying to shave off what they can on the track, which includes going to the extremes and often beyond the limits of the track itself.

Well, that's a bit of an about-face.... Still, we might see McLaren win a race now they're moving back to the 2012 tyres!

Unlikely. The main issue is the front suspension pull rod system has completely screwed with the entire flow over the car (according to Mr. Kravitz). I'm not sure changing the tyres will really change that. The McLaren still has a major downforce issue that won't be resolved for a good part, if not the rest of this season.

Porceliamone - I can't help but agree with you, but if there's anlything that can help McLaren at the moment is if they get the old tyres back.... It obviously won't fix any aero problems, but it may fix their mechanical grip problem!

According to a piece by Gary Anderson, that may well be the best way to sort the car for last years tyres. they would need to change the front wing, rear floor and many other parts to account for the different shape of the tyres, and suspension settings to account for different structures. It was a rather large undertaking by all accounts.

From what I remember the drive towards less durable tyres started began after the 2010 Canadian GP, a race viewed by many as the the best Grand Prix of that season. It became soon obvious during that week-end that Bridgestone's choice of compounds would be ill-suited for a Grand Prix distance, particularly in view of the heavy graining incurred on the super-softs. Heavy rain overnight washed away whatever rubber had been laid onto the track and reduced grip even further. As a result the race turned out to be quite exciting, with the top runners being confronted with very little grip during the race.

Maybe what we are seeing today is basically a case of "Be-careful-what-you-wish-for"?

Brogan where did you read that? I can't find it anywhere on the normal F1 websites.
If true, it would just confirm that this season is rapidly descending into farce.

What would be the point of the FIA changing the rules to allow the current drivers to test the tyres in order to help find a solution to the failures, only to render all of that effort irrelevant and obsolete by stating beforehand that they will return to last year's tyres, which will adversely affect just about everyone and cost shed loads more money to deal with?

Well, there is no doubt Pirelli have produced a tyre which can't last a Grand Prix distance...

It's alright Brogan, I've just read the BBC report by Andrew Benson, where he states that Pirelli have decided on these changes and are expected to announce them later today.

Only the rear tyres are being changed for the German Grand Prix according to Benson. Also, it's not entirely clear from the article whether Pirelli intend to reintroduce the 2012 spec tyres from Hungary onwards, or just for Hungary, as an interim measure.

Back
Top Bottom