Pirelli 2013 F1 tyre range

Going back two or three years, Michelin consistently said they weren't in the least interested in a single supplier situation; they wanted someone to beat. But I suppose there may have been a change of position on that.

The V-6T has its own overtaking multiplier built in -- the mega-CURSE -- so both DRS and disinte-Pirellis could be/should be made redundant. Even at Monaco, there won't be enough enough petrol on board simply to reach the finish (at anything resembling race pace) without significant contribution from the ERS. 2014's mega-CURSE theoretically can produce 10x the per-lap output the 2013 CURSE, but that is a gargantuan increase from a device that has yet to show stellar reliability. Cooling always has been the CURSE's Achilles' heel, principally because aerodynamicists are so reluctant to relinquish airflow to cool the electric motor when it could be being used to improve downforce. So I shouldn't expect to see any team running ERS to the full potential as allowed in the TR for some time ...if ever.

Consequently, the teams with the best ERS should dominate. Unless, of course, the teams en masse elect to forgo the 2014 formula mega-CURSE and default instead to incremental upgrades to the 2013 formula CURSE. In which case 2014 will devolve into a fuel economy contest with drivers once again "lapping to the Delta," except that ∆elta will be determined by fuel economy, not tyre life.

In any case, there is no reason not to return to proper spec racing tyres for 2014.

Good news for those who developed their cars in a way which makes best use of the tyres they were given as opposed to those teams who designed their cars and then demanded that the tyres be modified for use with their cars.

Slyboogy - I wouldn't be so sure, Monaco is notoriously low deg, and Vettel had won it by turn 3 in Canada. What is interesting is that Webber was beaten by Alonso...!

Admittedly, the relative levels of talent may go some way to explaining that, but at Silverstone they may not have Mercedes and Williams between them and Alonso.

That may be true.

The Red Bull car just looks consistent in all aspects, as did the Ferrari, but the latters slipped a bit and is lacking in qualifying.

Red Bull's (Vettel) have maximised its results, and the others have faltered, by the time the rest catch (if they do) Red Bull will have sorted their problems.

Anyway, dunno where I've taken this topic :s

I think we had the soft and the supersoft in Hungary two years ago. Then last year the soft and medium, now the medium and the hard. I can see Lotus' point. Red Bull win again because Horner threw a strop.

I thought that the grades were all one step softer this season? so in effect, the tyre choice is actually the same as last year.

Well, if I remember correctly, last year's race was godawful, so I guess some softer tyres wouldn't hurt... :D

In this week's Autosport magazine (p.11), Gary Anderson notes that Red Bull ran a new wing at Barcelona, with vanes added specifically "to catch or divert the [clag] away from the splitters inside the slot gaps."

By the third race of the 2011 season, Paul Hembery already was promising to look into the clag problem. That was more than two years ago, in case anyone's counting. Yet here Red Bull are with a new anti-clag front wing.

I was just talking to Sh4dow about the degredation of the tyres at Le Mans. If the F1 pirelli's were being used the cars would have to be equipped with snow ploughs in order to cut through the marbles off line while overtaking.

Back
Top Bottom