Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

It would also be a very hollow victory for Rosberg. He would take it, but never during his life would he feel as though he deserved it, which would be sad for Rosberg also.

Not so sure about that comment, he may be well pleased with himself in a hare versus tortoise kind of way. After all did James Hunt feel he did not deserve the title in 76 and did Schumi ever regret punting Damon off course in 94???? (NB I am not comparing the situations in terms of worth or in any value terms but just in terms of "did the winner ever regret winning")

Well one thing has been decided this season already and that is Nico takes the pole position trophy, congrats to him I wouldn't have put money on that at the beginning of the season but still 1-0 to Nico..

Two things have been decided....Its actually 1-1 since, before Nico got the most poles award, Lewis had secured the most wins award in Russia....

Yeah I guess the official "Pole Position" trophy is still up for grabs, but Rosberg has won the 2014 Quali battle, not without a fair share of asterisks mind you.

Brundle made an interesting observation in the US Buildup show. Teams always run brand new brakes in Qualifying so that they'll have as much meat left as possible for the race. For some reason Lewis has had some problems bringing those new discs in for the final runs. Over a race distance he has much more time to get those brakes into the sweet spot though.

Hamilton's style of braking very late and very hard on new discs is possibly (part of) the reason why he is being out-qualified.

Once the discs have bedded in, he seems to be a bit quicker, which we have evidenced during the races.

It's Sunday that matters though and with ten wins to Rosberg's four it would be a travesty if Hamilton lost the title due to Bernie's absurd double points rule. Wasn't it blindingly obvious to him that all the races are of equal importance, or certainly should be. One silly little old mans rule could make Formula one an embarrassing laughing stock in the eyes of the rest of the motorsport world.

KekeTheKing and Brogan Nico's side of the garage had the same glazing problem with the brakes in free practice three, they analysed and cured the problem. Lewis' side encountered or recognised the problem for the first time in qualifying and were obviously left out of the loop as to how to cure it.

Last edited:
If there was another team capable of challenging the Mercs in qualifying and race pace then the Mercedes performance on Saturday would make some difference. The performance differential between the Mercs and the rest of the field this season has been huge and when you factor in the performance of the drivers and it's goodnight vienna for everyone else.

I read a Niki Lauda quote recently though where he said "Thank God Alonso isn't in a Williams this season".

Last edited:
Nico and Lewis are both able to extract very competitive lap times out of the Mercedes. Both are exceedingly quick and competent, what is confusing people is the "concepts" they and the media have of them and the deviation from reality. Lewis has recently been tagged with being exceptionally quick over one lap, hard on his tyres, reckless and driven by emotion. None of these tags were, or could have been attributed to him in his junior career or first season in F1. It was Lewis's studious, focused and very deliberate race performances that threw Fernando Alonso's world into a cocked hat.

In respect to Lewis being quick over one lap, he is nothing like Ayrton Senna, he has his moments but that is not his strength. If there is anyone (and Jenson Button might be one) who believes that it is, they are seriously underestimating Lewis. Nico has also been seriously underestimated but in contrast to Lewis, fighting for an F1 championship is totally new to him and there is without doubt a learning curve. Lewis is still learning, even Fernando Alonso is still learning, Nico will undoubtedly learn and people should use their tags advisedly as labelling, underestimating and writing people off is fraught with danger.

Last edited:
.....driven by emotion. None of these tags were, or could have been attributed to him in his junior career or first season in F1.

An interesting precis and much to agree with however I disagree with the statement quoted above, I feel that Hamilton has very much been driven by emotion througout his F1 career, including his first season. The public cracks at McLaren started to appear in his response to his perception of not being allowed to challenge Alonso at Monaco. In a recent article in Motorsport, Nigel Robuck commented on Hamilton's abillity to play the vicitim and I can't remember which race it was but there was one a season or two ago where he'd got on the front row and then appeared at the prress conference all sullen and moody. Obviously it is a public perception but it's one a lot of people seem to share.

Last edited:
I think it is a case of who his team-mate is that defines which aspect he's going to be stronger at...

In respect to Lewis being quick over one lap, he is nothing like Ayrton Senna, he has his moments but that is not his strength. If there is anyone (and Jenson Button might be one) who believes that it is, they are seriously underestimating Lewis.

Lewis Hamilton is faster than Jenson Button over a qualifying lap. He does not, however, show the level of racecraft, tactical awareness and consistency, even if he is more often faster over the whole race distance. Lewis Hamilton is slower than Nico Rosberg, however, over a qualifying lap. He does, however, show a greater level of racecraft, tactical awareness, consistency and overtaking ability, which is crucial since he is more often faster over the whole race distance.

Fernando Alonso, meanwhile, lost his head in 2007 because Hamilton was too close in all aspects; as snowy says, he threatened Alonso in both speed and craft - Alonso had had a speedy team-mate (Trulli) but the latter had never been tested.

Back
Top Bottom