Current Max Verstappen

2015 sees the arrival of the youngest driver ever to sit in an F1 car. Max Verstappen was born on 30th September 1997 and, assuming he makes the grid in Australia, will only be 17 years and 167 days, beating Jaime Alguersuaris' record by 1 year and 323 days (assuming my maths is correct).

How can such a young man be ready for F1? As the son of former F1 driver Jos Verstappen Max started racing karts at 4½ years old. In 2006 he won the Belgian Minimax Championship in the KF5 category and in 2007 he won both the Dutch and Belgian titles as well as the Belgian Cadet Championship.

In 2009 he won the KF5 Flemish Championship and moved up to International Karting. In 2010 Max finished 2nd in the KF3 World Cup, won the Euro Series and the WSK World Series. In 2011 he again won the WSK World Series and moved up the KF2 class winning the WSK Master Series and the South Garda Winter Cup in 2012. In 2013, at 15 years of age, Verstappen won the World KZ Championship, which is highest level of karting.

For 2014 Max moved up to European Formula 3. He finished 3rd in the Championship winning 10 of the 33 races, more than those who finished above him in the title race. Max was recruited into the Red Bull Young Driver Programme in August 2014 and only 6 days later was announced as one of the drivers for Toro Rosso in F1 for 2015. Apparently he was also being courted by Mercedes for their young driver programme so you have to wonder how much the pull of an F1 seat at Toro Rosso drove the decision to go with Red Bull.

Having already taken part in 3 Friday sessions as a test driver Max Verstappen is the youngest person ever to take part in a Grand Prix weekend. If he acquits himself well during 2015 many will say it is an inspired decision. If he turns into a mobile chicane or treats F1 like a destruction derby I'm sure many questions will be asked as to why someone not even old enough to qualify for a driving licence in his home country is allowed to get behind the wheel of a car at the pinnacle of motorsport.

Future Champion? One season (or even one race) wonder? 2015 will be very interesting for Max Verstappen.

Rutherford.....I'm quite sure that all drivers have experienced collisions with others, while entering or exiting a turn. But, a higher degree of danger exists when barreling down a straight at nearly 200mph, and it's at that speed all drivers want to avoid making any contact with other drivers, because any collision at those speeds could have catastrophic results.

Rutherford.....I'm quite sure that all drivers have experienced collisions with others, while entering or exiting a turn. But, a higher degree of danger exists when barreling down a straight at nearly 200mph, and it's at that speed all drivers want to avoid making any contact with other drivers, because any collision at those speeds could have catastrophic results.
Any collision at any speed can have a catastrophic result. The low speed incident between Schumacher and Sutil could have had Schumacher decapitated, do we want to speculate about what can happen or are we going talk about what did happen, if not Motorsport might as well be banned.

The thing to bear in mind is that if, through some driver error, a car careens into a crowd and kills a number of spectators, motorsport might well BE banned. Yet another reason to bring driver behavior into line.

A few points Rutherford, motorsport has been banned in Switzerland since the 1955 Le Mans disaster and with that ban we lost the great circuit at Berne, Moss's favourite.
Regarding weaving at the starts and blocking during the race with the one move rule. It was a driving tactic introduced in an aggressive form by Schumacher early in his career and due to the stewards acceptance of it, has continued for nearly two decades and is used now by almost every driver. I've said this before on this site so sorry if others get sick of reading the same again. If they banned blocking outright the racing would be safer and there would be far more overtaking, even without ERS, as drivers refined the art of drafting. Right through the 50's period of Fangio, Moss, Hawthorn and Brooks, through to the Stewart, Clark, Hill era, blocking was unheard of, the dangers were just far too high. Brook's stated in an interview a few years ago that Schumacher's seven titles were no where near as worthy as Fangio's five titles, he was damning of Schumacher's tactics and the style of racing they led to. Considering Brooks greatness was achieved during the sports most dangerous era he's worth listening to.
Verstappen's arrogance and approach to his racing has raised the danger to a whole new level.

My argument is always the same, just because the drivers now sit in a survival cell, doesn't mean there should have been a lowering of driving standards. There has been and F1 is worse off for it and if Verstappen continues with his present approach another Swiss tragedy may closer than we think.

Last edited:
Times change and in all aspects of life things progress. This does not exclude motorsports or any other sport.

The technical advances made in the automobile and aerospace industry have led to motorsport, particually Formula One, evolving from a sport with a high death ratio to sport with a close zero death ratio. This dramatic and important development has taken place in a little more than half a decade.

These technical advances have also led to motorsport changing in that sense that drivers can dare to take greater risks with a low potential of sustaining life threatening injuries. Thus, the art of defending against oppponents has also changed. When comparing this aspect of the sport the developments the sport has made must be taken into consideration which result in a different manner of driving.
Fangio, Moss, Stewart, Clark, Hill etc. would have all adopted the same mannerisms as Schumacher had they raced in his era and Schumacher would have taken less risk had he raced in their era.
Schumacher wasn't the only one who was prepared to take these risks there were others in eras before his, such as Villeneuve Senior, Senna, when the cars weren't merely as safe.
These three drivers were just as ignorant as Verstappen and incendently they were also extremely successful and in their careers they had to deal with a lot of critism, so have Vettel and Hamilton.

As I said before everyone is entitled to their opinion. I see no reason to belittle the success of Schumacher nor that of any other driver nor that I have to agree with Brooks, Hill, Brundle or any other current or former driver. I see no point in throwing these names as they don't add to this specific discussion.

I like Max, he's good fun and drives an F1 car like drivers of old. I get the feeling the older drivers are a bit intimidated that someone so young can be so good. He will find a level but I hope he doesn't stop trying to find spaces to overtake where others simply can't see one (as Hamilton used to do before he had a car which just ran away from everyone) and continues to defend aggressively. His defensive moves have been as much as a highlight of his driving as his overtaking moves have been.

This all looks perfectly legit to me. F1 would be far more exciting with more drivers like Max.

Rutherford ..... The fact drivers are able to take greater risks due to advances in safety was exactly what I was suggesting though my point was very different to yours. There's no way their greater safety should lead to a lack of respect or concern for other drivers safety. To suggest drivers such as Moss, Brooks, Stewart, Clark and Hill would have driven and behaved differently today than during their own era is an assumption with no foundation. These drivers were bought up in different times when respect played a major part in every aspect of their lives, not just on track. I also wasn't belittling Schumacher or any other driver of the modern era. The tragic situation Schumacher is now in and his driving style when he was an active driver are unrelated and doesn't change the fact he used very aggressive driving tactics when he was the World Champion. Considering his current situation I found it a little offensive you would suggest I was belittling his memory. I'm sure Sir Jackie would also feel offended at the suggestion he would be no different to drivers of the modern era were he driving today.

Last edited:
Rutherford ..... The fact drivers are able to take greater risks due to advances in safety was exactly what I was suggesting though my point was very different to yours. There's no way their greater safety should lead to a lack of respect or concern for other drivers safety.

I do not see a lack of respect, I see an outstanding young talented teenager with an amazing race craft making his mark in Formula One. The established racers Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen, Alonso and Button did the same, this is the reason why they have achieved their success and belong to this golden era of Formula One. A huge amount of F1 fans complained about those drivers, when they were starting out and now they are hailed as heros and taken on as role models.

To suggest drivers such as Moss, Brooks, Stewart, Clark and Hill would have driven and behaved differently today than during their own era is an assumption with no foundation.

No, it is not. It is like any other sport, you must adapt to be successful, you say this yourself.
he was damning of Schumacher's tactics and the style of racing they led to.

None of the current generation drivers race like those in the 60's or 70's - whereby blocking did become a heavily applied tactic in the 70's from the races I have seen, they would be out in no-man's-land. Whether it be the driving style in general, attacking or defending, the sport has changed. I think you should have witnessed this change yourself, as I assume you are in your 50's or 60's.

These drivers were bought up in different times when respect played a major part in every aspect of their lives, not just on track.
Their capabilities were limited due to a lack of modern safety standards and lack of safety features of their cars, such as carbon fibre monocoques, H.A.N.S., helmets etc..
They could have taken the same risks as drivers do these days but they would not have been around for long and many of them weren't without any fault of their own just due to mechanical components failing.
It was an era when the cars had to be dealt with a lot of care and foresight.

Therefore had they had the capability to race more aggressive, then they would have done so.

I also wasn't belittling Schumacher or any other driver of the modern era. The tragic situation Schumacher is now in and his driving style when he was an active driver are unrelated and doesn't change the fact he used very aggressive driving tactics when he was the World Champion.

You, if you agree with Brooks, are belittling his success.
Schumacher's seven titles were no where near as worthy as Fangio's five titles

Each era has to viewed separately, as each competitor of an era faced different challenges. Hereby, I am however not implying that they cannot be compared by these challenges must be taken into account.
Yes, Schumacher used very aggressive tactics, what this has to do with his current situation I cannot fathom. Apart from that Senna, Hamilton and others have used tactics that are just as aggressive and just as successful.

Considering his current situation I found it a little offensive you would suggest I was belittling his memory.
You find it offensive that I am calling you out on belittling someones success, which you are doing. That is an interesting way of trying to twist this part of the conversation.

I'm sure Sir Jackie would feel offended at the suggestion he would be no different to drivers of the modern era also.
If he heard what I have to say he might feel offended but that is up to him and I do not state my opinion to be a crowd-pleaser. He would not be different and if he were, he wouldn't even make it to Formula One. I will reiterate myself, like any other sport, you must adapt to be successful.

Last edited:
Any collision at any speed can have a catastrophic result. The low speed incident between Schumacher and Sutil could have had Schumacher decapitated, do we want to speculate about what can happen or are we going talk about what did happen.

Another example of a driver nearly being decapitated occurred in 2012 at Spa. When Grojean nearly lifted Alonso's head at La Source.

This did happen, and not speculation. At Monza I forget the year, a course worker was killed as a result of being hit by debris, because of a horrific crash. Paul Di Resta said, that Verstappen was too close to be driving like that in relation to the fans.

Last edited:
Another example of a driver nearly being decapitated occurred in 2012 at Spa. When Grojean nearly lifted Alonso's head at La Source.

This did happen, and not speculation. At Monza I forget the year, a course worker was killed as a result of being hit by debris, because of a horrific crash. Paul Di Resta said, that Verstappen was too close to be driving like that in relation to the fans.
Did you actually read and understand what I wrote?+

What happend in Belgium? Grosjean crashed with Alonso et al.. Alonso et al. escaped unharmed. The rest are thoughts of possible other outcomes being played out in your mental cinema. Thus, those are only speculations.

Last edited:
Verstappen is willing to take any opportunity to win. He pushes the limits of etiquette as he does the limits of performance. I doubt he sees that there is a problem.

He's a proper winner. He won't ever yield. I hope with maturity he gets an understanding of the places where a wrong move risks more than Championship points.

Rutherford ....... I'm two years short of 70 to be precise, I've seen the past greats from the 60's and 70's race over here in New Zealand. We're probably best to agree to disagree Rutherford as your implying meaning to my postings beyond there intended meaning.

What happend in Belgium? Grosjean crashed with Alonso et al.. Alonso et al. escaped unharmed. The rest are thoughts of possible other outcomes being played out in your mental cinema.

As a result of Grosjean's actions he received a one race suspension for the upcoming race at Monza, because as the FIA deemed his potential cause of injury to others. This suspension for Grosjean didn't come from my so called mental cinema.

And one thing hasn't changed in F1 at all over the years: they are still open-wheel racers. That means that any wheel-to-wheel contact can launch a car into the spectator areas with devastatingly horrendous consequences.

The more I see that move, the more I'm thinking that Räikkönen should just shut up and get on with it. He telegraphed the pass, Verstappen defended it, just within the rules.

Next time, sell him a dummy, cos once Verstappen moves back, then he's in trouble.

Doesn't quite work that easily sobriety, I'm assuming you realise they were doing 200mph on the Kemmel straight and Kimi was about to attempt a pass on an unpredictable 18 year old and at the same time had to judge his braking distance before the rapidly approaching chicane. ;)

As a result of Grosjean's actions he received a one race suspension for the upcoming race at Monza, because as the FIA deemed his potential cause of injury to others. This suspension for Grosjean didn't come from my so called mental cinema.
Grosjeans actions were more substantial than those of Verstappen. Throughout the season he was colliding with opponents and being penalised. It climaxed in Belgium when he was involved in a huge start accident and rightfully banned for a race, to reflect upon his actions.

Who and what are we comparing Verstappen with here?

Back
Top Bottom