First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Manor Motorsport

When F3 team Manor Motorsport were given a place on the F1 grid in 2010 they commissioned Wirth Research to build them a car. Brawn sponsor Virgin became title sponsor and Virgin Racing was born

Virgin Racing

With Cosworth engines, Xtrac gearboxes and drivers Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing embarked on their first F1 season. The VR01 chassis was the first ever F1 designed entirely using CFD, with designer Nick Wirth believing computer simulations were sufficient to not need expensive wind tunnel testing.

Inevitably the team had reliability issues early on and they also discovered the fuel tank on the car wasn't sufficiently large enough to allow the team to complete full race distance. Wirth Research got a dispensation from the FIA to homologate a new chassis and by Spain both cars finished the race.

The team regularly finished races but barely troubled the mid-field. By seasons end the team were placed 12th and last in the Constructors Championship based on a count back of minor placing’s having managed a highest finish of 14th.

Russian carmaker Marussia have taken a controlling interest in the team for 2011 and Belgian Jerome d’Ambrosio replaces Lucas di Grassi. With the VR02 chassis Virgin will be hoping to move further up the grid in 2011.

The thing is that up until this weekend you have to say they've been running it quite successfully. They kept the team afloat, brought in new staff, new sponsors, got a great new engine deal and already have the 2016 car ready to go.

Something has obviously changed in the last week or so and my head says its to do with Merc. Maybe they've decided they would rather run a team that fails than run a team that could only ever achieve second best.

That's not how it comes across to me. From the way Toto is talking he seems genuinely sad that they are leaving. As to what happens now we will all have to wait and see, although I would love to hear Graham and John's reasons from their mouths.

I didn't say he wasn't genuinely sad I was just saying that the fact that three close associates of Wollf/Mercedes have all walked out of Manor due to the owners 'not accepting no investors'. I may be putting 2 + 2 together and making 5 but to me that suggests a rejection of a bigger involvement of Wollf/Merc in the team. Just speculation but one I thought worth making.

Edit - Welcome to the forum David Buckley

In reading about Booth and Lowdon's exit it is obviously due to clashes with the ownership, but one of the things that I read is that Fitzpatrick tried to secure Renault engines for the team in the middle of the season! Not trying to secure them for next season, but to use for the second half of this season!

soccerman17 That is the first I heard about Manor in using Renault engines. Ferrari were happy to give them engines because they had not paid fully for the engines so a compromise was reached

It seems a strange move by Fitzpatrick unless he was trying to persuade Renault to buy the team

"But we think you can run it respectably and not be in the red. I think you can fight for fifth."

He obviously does not understand F1.

I wonder if Ford would consider returning to F1 with Manor if they get more US backers

I don't see how it changes the equation. Just because Americans invest in it doesn't mean it will help garner audiences and car sales in the US.

I think the way Ford would look at this is with regards to how it helps sales outside the US - especially Europe and LatAm. And I think it clearly would help, but on the other hand it is expensive to win and Ford isn't exactly rolling in dough.

Within the US and in LatAm to some extent they get exposure from IndyCar racing and their Pickup Truck racing activities. Outside the US, they seem to be happy doing RallyCars and SportsCars with their new GT. They could also consider Touring Cars with the Mustang but have chosen not to so far.

I do think the kind of people who buy Mustangs and Camaros probably have never heard of F1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom