First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Manor Motorsport

When F3 team Manor Motorsport were given a place on the F1 grid in 2010 they commissioned Wirth Research to build them a car. Brawn sponsor Virgin became title sponsor and Virgin Racing was born

Virgin Racing

With Cosworth engines, Xtrac gearboxes and drivers Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing embarked on their first F1 season. The VR01 chassis was the first ever F1 designed entirely using CFD, with designer Nick Wirth believing computer simulations were sufficient to not need expensive wind tunnel testing.

Inevitably the team had reliability issues early on and they also discovered the fuel tank on the car wasn't sufficiently large enough to allow the team to complete full race distance. Wirth Research got a dispensation from the FIA to homologate a new chassis and by Spain both cars finished the race.

The team regularly finished races but barely troubled the mid-field. By seasons end the team were placed 12th and last in the Constructors Championship based on a count back of minor placing’s having managed a highest finish of 14th.

Russian carmaker Marussia have taken a controlling interest in the team for 2011 and Belgian Jerome d’Ambrosio replaces Lucas di Grassi. With the VR02 chassis Virgin will be hoping to move further up the grid in 2011.

If anyone wondered why Manor decided to put Rossi in for the (most of the) rest of the season I'll just point out how much more screen time they got on the FOM feed over the Singapore weekend. Not just because they were being lapped either.

Got to be a little draw for sponsors hasn't it?

I was thinking before that. Rossi was talked about in the commentary and we even followed him round in the race for half a lap about 3 laps in.

Timing is impeccable considering they will heading for the US so more coverage with a US driver and sponsors on board

One or two Americans were interested in buying the team allegedly

Its worth noting neither Merc or Manor have confirmed this deal yet and its just Lauda spouting off when asked about why they weren't supplying Red Bull.

I'm sure its in the works though.

its amazing how Manor will get a discount on the Merc engine if they place Wehrlein as well whilst Force India were not given that option (not tempting enough) to part with Perez's and his sponsorship

Sauber and Toro Rosso are getting Honda engines!?!? Wheres that one come from! Not heard that from anywhere at all.

It is good news for Manor and will jump them into the mix hopefully which is pretty unbelievable when you think where they were this time last year.

Incidently on the back of the news that they will be using Merc engines and Williams gearboxes, do we know if Toto Wolff has bought shares in the team? ;)

I meant Toro Rosso getting Honda engines.

I failed to see the Toto connection until you pointed it out so it looks like Werhlein might get a 3 step phase into Mercedes from Manor to Williams and then Merc seems to be the plan

But what if Rossi thrashes him then ? I just looked at Werhlein's performance in DTm because he's is leading cos he's most consistent despite only 5 podiums

Honda have said they will not be supplying anyone else and Red Bull have said that Torro Rosso will not remain in the sport unless they do so I think the Honda thing ain't got basis in fact.

Werhlein is a possibility but Wolff was talking recently that it was a certainty and they wouldn't reduce the engine costs for it. With the waves being made by Verstappen this season I wonder if Ocon can clinch the GP3 title whether he'd end up in the seat

I did see that Wolff has stated that giving Merc engines does not guarantee Werhlein being parachuted into F1

I think Ocon is going to be signed up by Force India because they really rate him and one way to appease Merc. Its very difficult to gage Wehrlein ability until he does single seater racing. I

Back
Top Bottom