First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Manor Motorsport

When F3 team Manor Motorsport were given a place on the F1 grid in 2010 they commissioned Wirth Research to build them a car. Brawn sponsor Virgin became title sponsor and Virgin Racing was born

Virgin Racing

With Cosworth engines, Xtrac gearboxes and drivers Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing embarked on their first F1 season. The VR01 chassis was the first ever F1 designed entirely using CFD, with designer Nick Wirth believing computer simulations were sufficient to not need expensive wind tunnel testing.

Inevitably the team had reliability issues early on and they also discovered the fuel tank on the car wasn't sufficiently large enough to allow the team to complete full race distance. Wirth Research got a dispensation from the FIA to homologate a new chassis and by Spain both cars finished the race.

The team regularly finished races but barely troubled the mid-field. By seasons end the team were placed 12th and last in the Constructors Championship based on a count back of minor placing’s having managed a highest finish of 14th.

Russian carmaker Marussia have taken a controlling interest in the team for 2011 and Belgian Jerome d’Ambrosio replaces Lucas di Grassi. With the VR02 chassis Virgin will be hoping to move further up the grid in 2011.

you forget Ford powered cars has over 150 grand prix wins and it is still a big brand

The Jaguar project was a disaster because they tried to run things from a corporate office rather than race track. It would be nice if they returned to F1

If Wurz is team principal then it wouldn't surprise me if Lucas Auer became at least the third driver then.

Wurz and Gerhard and pretty tight and Auer is pretty handy.

Wurz did not deny he was offered the role just that he wished it was not made public

Dave Ryan is a good signing for Manor using his Mclaren experience

Wurz rejects offer to be team principal

Martin Whitmarsh apparently has said he is not interested in being team principal of an F1 team having been linked to the job

Apparently Jordan King and Rio Hiryanto will have test drives with Manor after Abu Dhani so you can guess Jordan is down to his Dad willing to throw more money whilst Rio apparently can bring Maldonado esque like sponsorship from Indonesia

Manor have just nicked Ferraris chief designer. Very tasty.

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 10.14.07.png

It does seem that Manor are on the verge of finally catching up with the rest of the pack doesn't it? Although its slightly puzzling still that the two main guys behind the team should leave at this time (I still think that is because the team wouldn't sell to Toto).

It would be great F1 story if Manor were mixing it up with Sauber and the Toro Rosso's next year and nicking the odd point. I suspect but for the financial issues in 2014 they may have done that last year.

Of course they'll go straight to the back again when the new rules come in for 2017 because they simply won't have the budget to keep up with the others. But that modern F1 for you.

i think is a great coup & ive thought for a while, that i wouldnt be surpised to see them in Q3 next year maybe even on podium. just the biggest shame is that graeme lowdon & john booth wont be able to savour the success after the trials & tribulations of the last 5 years

I love the way it says "Nikolas needs no introduction" before going on in the very next paragraph to do just that.

I also find it odd that Lowden and Booth would walk away after everything just at the moment when it looked like it was all going to work out. It's odder still that they haven't fully explained why themselves.

You forget that Bob Bell left Manor and has gone back to team so whilst on paper the team are making the right noises in hiring experienced and proven people in F1. The fall out has been unexplained and no one has said a thing

Are you sure they havent hited Nick Fry by mistake? I mean, it wouldnt be the first time a team hired the wrong person with the right surname!

Well can Manor attract top drivers then because the technical team looks good and experience , the engine can;t be worse than a Honda or Renault and it all depends on the chassis?

Surely they should go for a decent driver?

Back
Top Bottom