Kamui Kobayashi

Of all the drivers in the Formula One fraternity, Kamui Kobayashi (小林 可夢偉) seems to be one of the most difficult to work out.

Formula One fans love watching him, and he's famed for overtaking, but he does less overtaking than many drivers out on the field. He's rarely been defensively punchy other than his début in Brazil in 2009.

His GP2 record is less than exceptional. He would never have got into Formula One if he was a different nationality.

I think Kobayashi must be praised, but not for the usual reasons. What is outstanding is that given the opportunity, he picks up points. He did so at Abu Dhabi in 2009, for much of the latter half of 2010 and his run of points scores in 2011 (not counting his dsq in Australia) was longer than anyone's bar Button, Webber and Vettel. Excellent strategic decisions from his advisors in Spa and Valencia in 2010 and in Monaco and Canada in 2011 have seen excellent finishes.

Martin Brundle's favourite word when referring to Kobayashi is the typical "banzai", which refers to punchy Japanese drivers. I would argue that Kobayashi is less banzai than some of his less than illustrious predecessors, and thus more able to finish Grands Prix, and well placed to become the best driver that Grand Prix racing Japan has ever produced.

Happy Birthday Kamui :D

yakudoshi.jpg

Only 1 points finish in last 7 races for Kamui and a great deal of support lost from the Hamilton incident. Has been suggested that he is 'currently in the middle of a wobble' - anyone got a view on that?

I think if you stand back and see that his team-mate has only scored points twice in the last 7 races. He had pretty good runs at GB and Italy without finishing and in general I think the step up of the Force India and Torro Rosso teams have left Sauber with less oppotunity for points finishes. Have been a few mistakes in Quali by him of late though it has to be said.

Whilst I'm sure he's glad he renewed his contract back in July I'm not losing faith in Kamui yet. Amy thoughts?

Yes he's seemed to have a dip, I think qualifying's his weakness, he was not bad in qualifying last year, but this year maybe it could be the DRS and KERS combination hampering him?

Force India have brought a lot of upgrades, Toro Rosso's last one was at Spa where they could have scored a handful of points until both drivers got rammed off...but other than that Toro Rosso has dropped back a bit, Williams has improved a little making the midfield quite tighter than normal.

He seemed really good in the first half of the season, don't know what's happened recently, it could be the car slipping back, could be others doing a better job, or Sauber's cheesy strategies.

Yes he's seemed to have a dip, I think qualifying's his weakness, he was not bad in qualifying last year, but this year maybe it could be the DRS and KERS combination hampering him?

Force India have brought a lot of upgrades, Toro Rosso's last one was at Spa where they could have scored a handful of points until both drivers got rammed off...but other than that Toro Rosso has dropped back a bit, Williams has improved a little making the midfield quite tighter than normal.

He seemed really good in the first half of the season, don't know what's happened recently, it could be the car slipping back, could be others doing a better job, or Sauber's cheesy strategies.

The past couple of Races Koby as qualifed badly, but you look at the results between Perez and Koby then really i personally conclude some of the critism has been a little harsh. It seems to me the problem of old.....Sauber always seem to fall back in the devlopment race.

What has happened to Kobayashi?

Once again beaten by his rookie team mate in qualifying and didn't even make it out of Q1.

What has happened to Kobayashi?

Once again beaten by his rookie team mate in qualifying and didn't even make it out of Q1.

Sauber lacking the money to keep up with the progress of the rest of the pack?

Perez a better driver than he was expected to be?

Kobayashi being a rather flashy driver who catches the eye but doesn't really deliver the goods?

The pace of the car was certainly good enough for Q2, I was convinced about it and I also think our race performance should be alright. However, in qualifying it took me a lot of time to warm up the tyres, and then in the end I was unlucky. I had just started my final flying lap when Felipe (Massa) came out of the pit lane in front of me. Although there wasn’t enough time left in the session for him to do another run he didn’t give room. I am disappointed with today, but I will keep myself together and have a positive approach to the race. At least I have some fresh tyres left and this circuit offers opportunities for overtaking.”

Kamui's excuse for not making Q2 - wonder why Sauber FERRARI didn't make a complaint about Massa? :twisted:

So he still has double the points of his highly praised young team-mate but there is no doubting the second half of the season has not been Kobi's finest point of his career. He broke his duck with a tasty 10th place this weekend but has Kamui lost his magic? What do you reckon?

So he still has double the points of his highly praised young team-mate but there is no doubting the second half of the season has not been Kobi's finest point of his career. He broke his duck with a tasty 10th place this weekend but has Kamui lost his magic? What do you reckon?

Well considering that Perez was out for two races where Kobayashi scored his best finishes, then I can't really put the points in to perspective. His first half of the season was amazing, consistency at it's best, the second half, well you can blame the car, but Perez since Silverstone has scored 12 points Kobayashi only 3, Kobayashi was in the points in Silverstone until he got tagged by Schumacher.

He's been doing not bad, the second half the season must feel like a let down though.

Old interview with Kobayashi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbNrMgB0ptk

I thought it was pretty interesting, it's not really about the season but more about him. They visit the Sauber briefing room at the end which I found pretty interesting. And they made him drive a forklift(!!!). That's the best part, really (at 07:11).

Back
Top Bottom