Kamui Kobayashi

Of all the drivers in the Formula One fraternity, Kamui Kobayashi (小林 可夢偉) seems to be one of the most difficult to work out.

Formula One fans love watching him, and he's famed for overtaking, but he does less overtaking than many drivers out on the field. He's rarely been defensively punchy other than his début in Brazil in 2009.

His GP2 record is less than exceptional. He would never have got into Formula One if he was a different nationality.

I think Kobayashi must be praised, but not for the usual reasons. What is outstanding is that given the opportunity, he picks up points. He did so at Abu Dhabi in 2009, for much of the latter half of 2010 and his run of points scores in 2011 (not counting his dsq in Australia) was longer than anyone's bar Button, Webber and Vettel. Excellent strategic decisions from his advisors in Spa and Valencia in 2010 and in Monaco and Canada in 2011 have seen excellent finishes.

Martin Brundle's favourite word when referring to Kobayashi is the typical "banzai", which refers to punchy Japanese drivers. I would argue that Kobayashi is less banzai than some of his less than illustrious predecessors, and thus more able to finish Grands Prix, and well placed to become the best driver that Grand Prix racing Japan has ever produced.

He keeps getting them results - are you watching over there in Maranello?

If Kubica doesn't comeback, then I hope it's a battle between Kobayashi and Perez for the Ferrari seat, rather than just Perez in contention, but Perez would probably get it anyway, he's younger, backed by Ferrari, plus has a big sponsor in the bag, above all that he's impressive.

If Kubica doesn't comeback, then I hope it's a battle between Kobayashi and Perez for the Ferrari seat, rather than just Perez in contention, but Perez would probably get it anyway, he's younger, backed by Ferrari, plus has a big sponsor in the bag, above all that he's impressive.

My head says Kobi won't get a shot with the big teams but my heart so wants him too. I reckon he'd grab it with both hands.

Alonso and Kobayashi at Ferrari :o What a partnership that would be and could turn out to be as good a line up as Hamilton and Button.

Im convinced Koba is the real deal and would at least give Alonso a run for his money. :cheer:Sign him Ferrari! :)

With all the praise going rightly to his team-mate after his great race at Sepang, it is worth noting Kobayashi's superb qualifying performance today. The only times a Sauber (as distinct from BMW-Sauber) has qualified ahead of 4th position was when there were rain-affected qualifying sessions.

The Sauber battle is the most interesting team-mate battle with the most promising two drivers in the cars - hopefully they'll keep pushing each other in this manner.

Due to this post:
After Nico's win last weekend we now have a new holder of the Andre De Cessaris belt for most races without a win - Take a bow Pedro you've finally the best at something. 88 starts and no wins!

I wondered who held the Pierluigi Martini belt for most races without a podium. As you can guess by the presence of this post here in this thread, it is Kamui Kobayashi.

Quick word for Kobi. Despite his team-mate grabbing the glory headlines of a 2nd place in Malaysia Kamui is still the one pulling off the consistant results and has move to within 3 points of Sergio in the championship. He's also up 3-2 on race results.

I know Perez is a talent but would anyone else be far more excited to see Kobayashi in that Ferrari seat than Sergio?

No comment for Kamui? Oh.

Well I'll put it here - I'm delighted. I've been following Kamui closely since the moment he was announced as Glock's replacement in '09 and it's just wonderful to have finally seen him reach a podium that had to come sooner than later. Putting to one side any potential debates about his F1 future, it was a lovely moment when he went up to the podium amidst the fanatical Suzuka crowd. I thought he drove an excellent race, the only slight knock on it being that perhaps if he had got past Ricciardo in his first stint a lot earlier, he might not have been jumped by Massa and he would've perhaps gone on to 2nd, rather than 3rd. But still - very very happy and glad that he can finally show the world what he's made of.

Kamui is only 16 points behind Perez in the standings now. What price he pulls that back in the last few races?

Strange how one Sauber driver has just secured a big step up to one of the front team whilst the other is looking like he might not end up with a seat next year when I have to say I don't see a massive gap between the two of them.

Last year the biggest points gap between driver percentage wise was between Kobi and Perez - he scored more the 50% more than the young Mexican - now he's only just over a 3rd place behind him after scoring his 2 best results ever this season and he has no future? F1 is an odd sport.

Those last few laps on shot tyres, holding on for all he was worth to bring it home in third. That's the sort of story we long for every race. Was I alone in thinking as Button got closer, that passing using DRS really is rubbish.

Though it's not quite as simple as that, it's almost like Kobayashi's strong qualifying respective to his teammate has prevented him from having a great race until now.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103229
Monisha Kaltenborn said:
"You have to be careful in judging him as a driver because, if you look at most of the podiums we had, he had the better qualifying [than Perez].
"Through that, he has certain restraints on the tyres, on the strategy, and with the other car you can simply take a risk: and the risk worked out and paid off."

Really hope he's still racing next season with a decent team.

Am I the only one who thinks Kamui wouldn't have had a sniff of the podium had the Lotus drivers not made such a Horlicks of the start? I just can't see how he would have got past Alonso or Webber had they still been up the sharp end (and that goes for Jenson too, before anyone points it out)...

Back
Top Bottom