Kamui Kobayashi

Of all the drivers in the Formula One fraternity, Kamui Kobayashi (小林 可夢偉) seems to be one of the most difficult to work out.

Formula One fans love watching him, and he's famed for overtaking, but he does less overtaking than many drivers out on the field. He's rarely been defensively punchy other than his début in Brazil in 2009.

His GP2 record is less than exceptional. He would never have got into Formula One if he was a different nationality.

I think Kobayashi must be praised, but not for the usual reasons. What is outstanding is that given the opportunity, he picks up points. He did so at Abu Dhabi in 2009, for much of the latter half of 2010 and his run of points scores in 2011 (not counting his dsq in Australia) was longer than anyone's bar Button, Webber and Vettel. Excellent strategic decisions from his advisors in Spa and Valencia in 2010 and in Monaco and Canada in 2011 have seen excellent finishes.

Martin Brundle's favourite word when referring to Kobayashi is the typical "banzai", which refers to punchy Japanese drivers. I would argue that Kobayashi is less banzai than some of his less than illustrious predecessors, and thus more able to finish Grands Prix, and well placed to become the best driver that Grand Prix racing Japan has ever produced.

It's been a while this season where he's been caught up in an incident, and he's been driving superbly this season and he's made less reckless moves unlike last year, he seems more controlled, I find it hard say that he's went back to his 2009 to early 2010 form just over one incident.

...and suddenly everyone changes their minds...

....upon reflection of his actual ability.

Has anyone ever had more praise heaped upon them for accomplishing so little?

Ok yeah, he battled Jenson tooth and nail at Brazil 09 in the Toyota and by the time Abu Dhabi was run he had been anointed the "Official F1 Overtaking King". Legard continued this meme throughout 2010 even though the statistics did not bear this out at all. After DC stepped in the booth his reputation was well and truly cemented as an overtaking master that would also defend his ground as if he was in combat on Iwo Jima.

And here's one more thing that has always bugged me. His overtake on Alonso last year in Valencia wasn't really that spectacular. Fernando outbraked himself. For some reason, every time that race or that move is brought up, the announcer or commentator feels obligated to mention the breathtaking pass that Kobayashi made on the Ferrari. Watch it again and tell me that was a difficult pass.

Needless to say I believe Kobayashi's reputation has been inflated without merit. Apparently I was not immune to getting swept up in it a bit as well.

My post seems to have been killed on the subject but Lauda - in the BBC post race - said the tangle with Lewis into Les Combes wasn't Kobayashi's fault.

Having said that, I've already stated elsewhere that Kobayashi's qualifying performances against Journeymen Number 2s (Trulli, Heidfeld and de la Rosa) and a rookie (Perez) are a sign that he's not at the level which would warrent a plum ride. Yes, his points haul is good...but he's not fast enough in qually, IMO.

For a man that's accomplished little in junior category's and to be able to score consistent points in races has got to be some achievement. Not many drivers can jump into a car with no testing whatsoever and get into the points in a very competitive field.

I too think he is a a bit over-rated but he deserves credit where it's due.. In 2010 he lead the Sauber, and he is doing that this year aswell, and has only missed out being in the points I think 3 times this year and one of them being DQ.

As for the "best overtake" on the grid, that changes all the time every year, in 2009 the were giving Button this title...

Having said that, I've already stated elsewhere that Kobayashi's qualifying performances against Journeymen Number 2s (Trulli, Heidfeld and de la Rosa) and a rookie (Perez) are a sign that he's not at the level which would warrent a plum ride. Yes, his points haul is good...but he's not fast enough in qually, IMO.

So scoring points consistently doesn't warrant a plum ride?

So scoring points consistently doesn't warrant a plum ride?

Possibly. But there's a question mark when your rookie teammate is out-qualifying you. At this stage, for instance, Perez is more likely to get Massa's seat than Kobayashi is. One reason would be because he's faster in Qualifying. There may be other reasons, but that's one reason.

Look at Heidfeld. No one wants him eventhough he was the 8th highest points scorer at the break. His qually was poor. I'm not saying Koba is poor in qually, i'm just saying Perez is faster.

I see Britains love affair with Kobi is over. Hasn't Lewis said he was 100% to blame? I wouldn't have done if I were Lewis.

Just thinking about some of the comments that he's been involved in a few incidents on overtaking and now he's meance and someone should have a quiet work with him. Can't help but think I've heard all that said about another driver on the grid. Now who do I mean?

My post seems to have been killed on the subject but Lauda - in the BBC post race - said the tangle with Lewis into Les Combes wasn't Kobayashi's fault. .... .

Lauda has vision problems. In his interview he says that Kamui was alongside Lewis. He wasn't. Just another indication that old racing drivers are no less fallible than the next man. Nothing more nothing less.

Quite agree with the rest of the post.

Sorry, Spesh', hadn't got to your post before this reply.

Lauda has vision problems.

I don't want to comment about that because he had his skin burned around his eyes about 35 years ago...

I do know that Lauda's been critical of Hamilton's "stupid" moves in the past (meaning he's not exactly 100 percent behind him)...but even Hamilton has, basically, absolved Koba of any blatent wrong-doing/error.

He was being "nice". If he was being honest he would have added ".... Kamui's an idiot, I should have seen that coming".:)

Edit: and by the way, as Spesh' reminds us, that discussion is elsewhere as are my thoughts on that incident.

....upon reflection of his actual ability.

Has anyone ever had more praise heaped upon them for accomplishing so little?

Ok yeah, he battled Jenson tooth and nail at Brazil 09 in the Toyota and by the time Abu Dhabi was run he had been anointed the "Official F1 Overtaking King". Legard continued this meme throughout 2010 even though the statistics did not bear this out at all. After DC stepped in the booth his reputation was well and truly cemented as an overtaking master that would also defend his ground as if he was in combat on Iwo Jima.

And here's one more thing that has always bugged me. His overtake on Alonso last year in Valencia wasn't really that spectacular. Fernando outbraked himself. For some reason, every time that race or that move is brought up, the announcer or commentator feels obligated to mention the breathtaking pass that Kobayashi made on the Ferrari. Watch it again and tell me that was a difficult pass.

This was near the end of the GP when Nando's tyres had...had it.
Martin Brundle commenting...he could not believe that the FERRARI works car.... had been passed by the Sauber of KOBI ........with a Ferrari engine.
Have Sauber still got Ferrari engines or was the contract withdrawn because of KK daring move?

Back
Top Bottom