Giedo van der Garde

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Josh, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Do the rules stipulate that there can only be one person in the car?

Mephistopheles likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Banned Contributor

No riding on the side pods..

4. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    OMG

Think of the precedent this sets. Someone has actually decreed that a Formula 1 contract really means something!

Tacitus, Titch, Jen and 2 others like this.
  5. Mephistopheles

And won't somebody please think of the children!!!!

6. marksawatsky

marksawatsky Points Scorer Contributor

I can't imagine what Sauber will do. If they put him in the car, they can't just abandon any chance at points but the thought of them trying to help him on the track seems not likely, either. They should just give him some money and send him on his way.

7. Mephistopheles

Apple smoked cheddar cheese, yum bloody lovely...

8. soccerman17

soccerman17 Race Winner

It totally won't be suspicious when Giedo is found dead Friday night...

Titch and RasputinLives like this.
  9. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Sauber don't have any money! Thats why they signed two other drivers in the first place. Paying him off could be the difference between the team making it through the season and doing a Caterham.

Surely though an F1 driving contract has a clause in about the team being able to drop a driver if he's not good enough though right? Couldn't they just run him for one session and drop him for being slow?

10. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    This pleases me greatly.

:popcorn::snacks:

Titch likes this.
  11. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Is the vdG decision binding worldwide, or does he have to individually sue Sauber in every country that they visit?

That would be a bizarre and distracting interlude.

12. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    I can't blame the guy for taking them to court.
    If he had a contract then Sauber should honour it or come to some sort of agreement with him.

13. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Totally agree. If contracts aren't honoured, then why bother with them.

If there was no contracts, drivers could go self employed renting their services to teams on a race by race basis.

Back to the days of team hopping like Fangio used to do.

14. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I'm not sure teabagyokel. I would have thought that, given Sauber is a Swiss registered company he would have had to have taken the case to a court there.

There is one precedent that I can think of which is when Lotus tried to get the ban on the Lotus 88 running. They lodged their case in the US after the car was black flagged from free practice at Long Beach. The US Courts rule the car legal and that it should run. (the courts decision was announced after the race). FISA stated that the ruling only applied to races on US soil as that was the jurisdiction of the court. So, based on that case, VDG would have to take the case to each national court.

15. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    How much is Giedo's contract worth ? Surely nothing compared to $15m or so both Ericsson and Nasir bought to the team. All Sauber might as well pay him off and put him on garden leave .

Would be acceptable that Sauber just give him runs in the practice sessions .. there is no stipulation that he must be one of the drivers on race day

16. marksawatsky

marksawatsky Points Scorer Contributor

This is some great drama. It doesn't impact a team most of us care about but definitely adds to the excitement of the weekend

17. KekeTheKing

KekeTheKing Banned Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I must say I find this whole thing ridiculous. And I cant help but think the Australian courts were all too aware of the drama and intrigue this story would add to the event that Mark referred to above. If this ruling had come down a month ago then fine, but to throw a team into disarray just days before the season opener is a little too much. It's not like this is unheard of in F1, and is this really going to have any affect on the Teams' conduct going forward?

18. Incubus

Incubus Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Well, yeah but it's not the job of the australian courts to take the starting date of the F1 season into account. Like any trade dispute anywhere, legal proceedings take as long as they take.

19. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/what-now-for-sauber-after-court-loss

More speculation, and one that I never thought about.

20. Road of Bones

Road of Bones MTC Mole Premium Contributor

21. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Giedo has what he believes is a contract of employment signed and agreed which Sauber must honour.

The weird situation is he is bringing the money in rather than being paid by Sauber which would make it straight forward case of simply paying off

but how do find you Sauber liable if he is not on their payroll and bringing in money?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice