Giedo van der Garde

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Josh, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    He agreed an out of court settlement today, apparently.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Banned Contributor

Because his backers already paid Sauber a substantial amount of money up front, so I guess they want that money back...

4. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Mephistopheles Ahh I see which brings me back to a similar situation that bought down Arrows when Tom Walkinshaw had agreed Jos Verstappen was one of his drivers to please Orange who wanted a Dutch driver. Then he sacked Verstappen and replaced him with Frentzen when Prost went bust which infuriated Orange to the point they withdrew sponsorship. Needless to say Arrows did not last long after that

5. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Are Orange not French?

6. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    teabagyokel I always had the impression Orange were a Dutch company but just checked it is French.but it must have been the Dutch branch who were backing Verstappen
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos_Verstappen

My boss was actually responsible for starting up the group that was to become Orange.

7. rufus_mcdufus

rufus_mcdufus Champion Elect

8. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Good for him.

That will teach teams to sign more contracts then they have seats available.

I'm sure he would have far rather driven in F1 though.

9. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I reckon that's a 50/50 split between him and his backers. His backers get their money back and he gets a tidy sum to cover expenses.

It's all worked out then.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  10. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

How much do Sauber spend a year? This must make quite a hole in their budget, just when they produce a car which looks like it can earn points. And we all know what points make, don't we Brucie.

11. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Bugger all in F1 if you're a poor team. Ask Marussia

Road of Bones likes this.
  12. rufus_mcdufus

rufus_mcdufus Champion Elect

Yep, that's got to hurt. At least they appear to have a semi-decent car this year and have won some points already.

13. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Sam Bird just tweeted

'Dear Sauber, can I have a few million not to drive for you too?'

Cheeky monkey.

14. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Not the sort of tweet you want to make if you are looking for a drive in F1.

15. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    I don't think Sam Bird is under any illusion that he doesn't have the cash to get an F1 drive.

16. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Sam Bird must be gutted he will probably never get an F1 drive.....

Back to Giedo..now he's got some money do you think he will now go to Marussia and demand a drive

17. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Corrected for accuracy

F1ang-o, Brogan and Il_leone like this.
  18. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    A statement from vdG.

“I would like to direct a few words to the teams, drivers, future drivers, their managers and the Formula One governing bodies,” said Van der Garde. “I sincerely hope that what has happened to me will start a movement aimed at setting new standards and bringing about new regulations to help protect the rights of drivers. I would like to think that the values and business ethics that apply in any other business should be equally applicable in Formula One.

“I am lucky to have had Marcel and Jeroen on my side. Both of them have extensive backgrounds in business and bring a lot of expertise to the table when it comes to resolving complicated business affairs. Without them, I would have remained empty-handed in the wake of this extraordinary affair.

“There are numerous examples of talented drivers with good intentions but without the sort of professional support that I have had, who have been broken by Formula One and who have seen their careers destroyed. I therefore hope that my unprecedented case which was heard last week by the Supreme Court of Victoria at Melbourne will serve as an example to illustrate what should change, and that new regulations will be implemented to help protect driver rights.”

http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/03/18/van-der-garde-case-should-wake-up-call-for-f1-business-ethics/

19. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    I was with him until "talented drivers" and then he lost me :D

teabagyokel, no-FIAt-please and FB like this.
  20. Rutherford

Rutherford Podium Finisher

Just scroll through his posts and enjoy LOL:
    Giedo van der Garde (@GvanderGarde) on Twitter

No wonder people call him Giedo Banter Garde.

FB likes this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice