Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

I know what you mean.........hopefully it won't nag at back of mind so to speak...........also I have somehow managed to happily like comments, after finding the like button staring at me, but, guess what, not sure what happened but I did like your response ie to say gotcha type of thing but then it seemed to go and when I liked it again it came up unlike.............I'll shut up now.........:givemestrength:

RasputinLives .... Just to cover the points in the BBC article
Montezemolo did offer Alonso a contract extension to 2019 prior to leaving his position as team principle, Alonso said no as he lacked confidence and knowledge of the new personal coming into the team and didn't believe Ferrari could bring him a third title.
Believing he can win a third title is crucial to any former champion, so is fair comment.
Regarding the much published sabbatical. This was one of numerous ideas suggested if McLaren's problems dragged on. Its probably fair to use the word suggested rather than discussed and Alonso made it clear this was not an option for him. It was obvious from Ron Dennis and Alonso's comments there was no detailed discussion regarding a sabbatical. It was obvious the press were reading far more into this than was stated by either Alonso or Dennis.

Hmm. I think it was obvious Ferrari didn't want Alonso and he ended up at Mclaren, a team he has said multiple times he actively disliked, after sniffing around at Red Bull and Mercedes because it was the only place left for him to go. Trying to convince us otherwise just suggests to me that he thinks the public is stupid.

It could be the article of course.

RasputinLives .... The situation at Ferrari got nasty, no doubt. Alonso gave them five of his best years as a driver including some great wins, it was time for him to move on. Regarding Ferrari, why blame the team for failing to deliver when you can blame an ex-driver.

I think Fernando was as much a part of the problem at Ferrari as any of the management and technical people. He may be a very good driver but when things don't go his way he does get nasty.

More from Fernichael Alonbon:

Amid intense discussions over the summer of 2014 about his future at the Maranello team, there had been speculation that Alonso was trying to open a door for a switch to Mercedes.

One idea that surfaced at the time was for a straight driver swap with Hamilton, who would be moved to Ferrari for last season.

However, the idea never got very far and, after feeling that he could not continue giving his all for Ferrari, in the end his contract was cancelled and he decided to join McLaren.

Speaking to Spanish radio station Cadena Ser about the idea of a swap with Hamilton, Alonso said: "Yes, that offer was there.

"The circumstances meant that it came up, but Ferrari didn't want it at that point. They were in talks with me to renew until 2019, but Ferrari's offer did not convince me and I went to McLaren-Honda.

"I don't know if Hamilton knew about it."
Motorsport.com

After blasting him for talking spin nonesense the other day I agree with what he says in this article

Fernando Alonso 'saddened' by F1's qualifying confusion

He is right and the one lap system was the best system for both the race and the sport. Qualifying is qualifying and not the race so I don't know why there seems to be the appetite to make it so amazingly exciting to watch. One lap meant we got to see every driver (bonus for TV time for smaller teams as well) and see how they perform. The fact it was one lap meant the pressure was on and more often than not someone would mess up and be down the grid.

I think F1 needs to realise you can't rule change your way into exciting races. Its almost getting a little script like. Will F1 become WWE? who knows

well its true i can see more & more problems coming for f1, because not only are the people not listening to the fans they are seemingly ignoring the drivers as well which is a stupid thing to do & only some of the idiots in charge of formula 1 could ignore 2 of the most important people

the only problem with that is that reverse grid order is that it would be ever anti climatic as after lewis nico or vettel gone we have 19 drivers who have no chance of pole

By the way, look how many sponsors were on the 2004 Minardi as opposed to, say, the Manor.

Stoddart could go to a sponsor and say "you'll be in the telly every week!" Manor can't say they'll be on free-to-air television before autumn with any confidence.

It wasn't an exciting qualifying, but it financially safeguarded the teams.

RasputinLives .... I wrote a similar posting the last time this topic came up. Ive always loved the purity of one lap qualifying. For me watching the worlds best drivers, unimpeded by traffic, striving for the perfect lap, trying to remain mistake free at ten tenths has always been one of the truly great spectacles in motorsport. The bonus of course is having cameras recording the entire lap. Wonderful. As you said Ras, the race is on Sunday, why the hell try to turn qualifying into another race. Even with the current format we never see any drivers entire lap. I've always hated it for that reason and I'll hate the new format even more I fear. A possible compromise would be having two drop out sessions and then have a one lap session for the top ten cars in Q3. They do that in some other series, the V8 supercars for an example. They run a qualifying session to establish the field and then a top 10 shootout which is run as one timed lap for each of the top ten qualifiers which establishes the grid positions for the ten fastest qualifiers. Great to watch!!!!! Too many people in positions of power in F1 don't appear to have any appreciation of the sports purity and history, that applies to the constant threat some of the great tracks are under also. Sadly money rules and they'll do anything to attempt to attract a bigger audience regardless of how ill conceived their ideas. Sadly often the opposite occurs and people turn off.

I actually like Formula E's format where they have 4 groups randomly picked who got at separate times and then the fastest 5 go to a one lap shoot out.

Thanks for the Formula E info FB.

Yes I would like to see Alonso racing F1 in 2017. My initial thought was 2015 would be a development year for McLaren/Honda and Alonso's first chance of a third title would come in 2016 or 2017. After their shocker in 2015 any hopes of a third title are now set back a year. If Alonso has a good year this season I wouldn't be surprised to see a contract extension through to the end of 2018. That may be his only chance for a third title and I think he'll still be on top of his game. This year should answer any questions regarding his competitiveness.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom