Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

Fernando Alonso has now come out and said Mclaren will be his last team and he does not know if he will drive beyond 2017:thinking:

Seeing how articles about him suggesting he wanted the Merc drive and still after it he's now firmly quashed those rumours although were Hamilton and Rosberg have another tiff then I am sure he will put his name at the front of the queue if Mclaren fail this season

-------------

As for Alonso given a contract until 2019 ? Wow:o Drivers don;t hang around that long at Ferrari unless you're M Schumacher because usually they are sacked or leave under a real cloud.because the politics usually destroys them

Alonso had lost faith in the Ferrari team long before that and he could see neither Luca or Domenicali was able to change things and got disillusioned and started to vent his frustrations more loudly

It would be a travesty if he does not win a 3rd world title but then he did burn his bridges with Mclaren (Ron Dennis) in 2007. It might well be something he will regret when he retires

Why would it be a travesty? There are a number of world champions who could have had another and for one reason or another didn't. There are also many who should have won a title and never did.

Titch but he should be a 5 times world champion by now not a 2 time world champion

He could have well won the 2008 world championship in the Mclaren if he did not decide to leave and he probably would have won 2010 as well

Its a travesty because he has been the best driver for the last 10 years or so . 2 world titles does not show his true caliber.

Alonso is up there with Prost and Senna as all time greats

Titch

He could have well won the 2008 world championship in the Mclaren if he did not decide to leave and he probably would have won 2010 as well

With McLaren?

That was one of the best seasons Lewis Hamilton drove in and I am no fan, he was consistent and on the pace with only a couple of errors unlike Alonso who had several that season. McLaren fell away in the latter half of that season until the last race, but McLaren, both Button and Hamilton made the most of Red Bull's misfortunes early to mid-season.

Slyboogy Yes I meant had he stayed with Mclaren he probably would have won 2010 title... I should point out Hamilton made crucial errors that cost him the title towards the run in

Monza, Singapore, Korea and Brazil

Monza was his error I agree, Singapore was Webber doing his usual, Korea he outbraked himself but didn't have the pace to match Alonso and Vettel as the car had dipped then, so end result wasn't going to change. Brazil the same again as Korea so net result was the same as achieved.

Meanwhile, Alonso got himself in a needless incident in Australia, China he had a jump start, Monaco he crashed the car in FP3 and had to start at the back in the race. Silverstone, overtook Kubica illegally and didn't give the position back and then was out of the points after. In Spa he crashed out.

Alonso's second half of the season may have been flawless but first half was littered with mistakes.

Slyboogy Singapore - Lewis would not have gone for the move but he felt he had to atone for his error at Monza. Whilst Brazil and Korea he outbraked himself I'd very much Alonso could pass him if he had track position

I agree with Alonso's mistake at Australia which meant he was behind Massa and lost points, China he still managed 4th after all those penalties. Monaco was a race he could have won and Silverstone he was asking for trouble after clearly passing with 4 wheels on the grass

Alonso in his time at Ferrari I think finished ahead of Mclaren drivers bar 2011 every season

FB He believes he deserves more especially most of his frustrations and swiping is aimed at Vettel who has noticed " He must really hate me !" for lapping him last season at Abu Dhabi

So Alonso has had two lucky escapes from crashes in the Mclaren two years running. I don't care what anyone says its got to make him stop and ponder whether its all worth it just a little.

Especially running around with the hope of snatching a point or two.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Let's say he does pull stumps at the end of the year, where do you think a driver like Alonso would go? The US? Formula E? WEC? I can't think which series would be a best fit for him.

The Pits ...... You probably know that the article on Fernando starting a cycling team is 2 years old. It came to nothing that time when he couldn't secure Contador, but Im sure he'll try again when he finishes F1. He's always been a bike fan.

Back
Top Bottom