Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

Weekend plans?
TEN CAN.png

One question that I do ask is why Alonso seems to be more affected by accidents than other drivers; after all, he has now had two accidents in the last two seasons, that have left him having to miss races. Is it possible that his physical fitness is a little less than, say, Button's, for example- or is it just bad luck?

I just think it may be down to luck. We've no real idea about how much force his body was subjected to in either crash but we've seen and become accustomed to drivers walking away from similar crashes on a number of occasions so we assume a driver would walk away unharmed on every occasion.

I think it's just luck rather than his conditioning The fact that his seat cracked during the Melbourne incident suggests it was a lot more intense than your average crash.

The BBC live reporting page for Bahrain Practice 1 has the following set of questions:

If you were Fernando Alonso would you.....

Continue to fight for that quite frankly non-existent third world title

Quit now and enjoy the money

See out the season then save the ageing body.

When you couple that with the article they wrote on their main F1 page titled: The fall and fall of Fernando Alonso, it seems that some people at the Beeb may not be a 'Nando fans.

I think it's just luck rather than his conditioning The fact that his seat cracked during the Melbourne incident suggests it was a lot more intense than your average crash.

You've also got to remember how he lucky he was when Kimi tried to drive over him at I think Austria, Kimi's car a little more to the right & I believe we may have had 2 death's last year in F1.

Just think he's broken a mirror recently myself.

This thread's been turned around quite a bit over the past few days. Last week it was all "what's all the fuss about, he's OK isn't ihe?"

Now we know he's injured it's all gone "actually come to think of it he's had quite a few narrow escapes over the years Fernando has"... :)

In defence of Alonso, yes FB, you know I have to defend him don't you. :D Of course he's arrogant, always has been and not a very pleasant trait either. Seriously though, the comment Herbert made regarding Alonso not pushing hard enough to overturn the decision not allowing him to race probably got right up Alonso's nose.
Ron Dennis had pushed the FIA to try and have the decision overturned and it's very safe to assume he wouldn't have been doing that in isolation. He and Alonso would have discussed it and agreed to try to get him in the car for Bahrain. Based on that one remark alone I think Herbert got what he deserved. In all honesty, considering Alonso shook his hand before having a swipe at him I'm not convinced there wasn't a degree of off-hand humour involved anyway.

Even if it wasn't in a humorous way I think you can understand Alonso being pissed off with him.

On the other hand, all these attempts by McLaren/Ron Dennis/Alonso to try to make the FIA let him race really don't sit well with me. The doctors have said it's not safe and so just suck it up and sit it out, it's not even like there's a championship, win or podium at stake at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom