BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lacks imagination to me - wonder if the Beeb will use the pit lane feed from Kravitz and Pinkham or if their current pit woman (what's her name again?) will carry on. Maybe JL will be back in the commentary box on 5Live?

Woohoo Georgie Thompson.

georgie-Thompson.jpg

Looks like the BBC have lost Anthony Davidson, in my opinion he's the best broadcaster on F1 right now.

That leaves them looking for 3 commentators to bundle in with the awful DC.

While I'll never get Sky, right now, the BBC's "coverage" is incredibly unappealing to the point where I'm not sure whether F1 is worth my time any more.

I personally like DC. Often he's quite informative, especially in areas regarding recent technology and procedures that Brundle doesn't have experience of as he retired earlier. The only gripe I have of him is that everytime he's asked to make a prediction it always a Red Bull driver (I do realise RB have dominated the last 2 years...), regardless of who's in-form and who isn't. Overall I like him I think a Brundle-DC combination would be better than a Brundle-Croft combo.

I honestly don't know how I'm going to watch F1 next year, I guess I'll just have to avoid sites like this until I've had time to watch the defferred broadcasts. Do we know how much time will have elapsed after the event before the defferred broadcasts are shown?

Reactions: mjo
LOL just found out Georgie Thompson is Decs Ex (from off Ant n Dec) and that she was done for drink driving in September this year and given a driving ban. :dizzy: :sick: :oops:

Even though I shouldn't, it does make me very angry. It's such a waste of money and people's time. Screwed the fans. Haven't kept ahold of their key talent. Still spending way over the odds for what they're getting in return. It's endemic of what the BBC is right now ; a gross wastage of resources and taxpayer's money while trying to compete with other broadcasters who are in a market of their own.

Brundle said:
Second half of the grid are aching for Sky because finally they'll get some coverage

Ted Kravitz has confirmed the drivers' parade will also be shown live on Sky.

Actually that's one of the things that worries me most about the actual BBC coverage next year - with an hour's long highlights how much of the midfield battle and below are we going to miss out on? I really don't trust them to provide balance.

If there are two things Sky can do it's invest time and money.

I have to agree, it's not something that's ever interested me.
Some seem to like it though, but then some seem to like the BBC Forum too...

I did see the news today that Sky also have the rights to GP2 next season.
I wonder if they'll be showing those races on the F1 channel.
I presume not.

I presume not.

It really makes sense that they would, I mean what the hell are they going to show for 24 hours of F1?

I have to agree, it's not something that's ever interested me.
Some seem to like it though, but then some seem to like the BBC Forum too...
It might not be interesting but without wanting to sound like a Sky lover, it's that kind of little detail that could just generally improve the coverage.

Agree about the forum - if Sky are going to do something similar I hope for other people's sake it isn't the 'let's all have a jolly at Red Bull while completely ignoring the race' the BBC's ended up being.

I presume not.
I knew the BBC had them in 2009, and subsequently sold them on to Eurosport. They still had rights to show highlights of the GP2 races, but they decided not to, despite the fact that there was an existing commentary team on the 'world feed' that they could've used at no extra expense. Logic? The BBC have none.

That's a good move for Sky - again another way they can use their time and resources.

The more I read about Sky's coverage plans, the better I like it - they appear to be building on what was best about the BBC coverage, and cutting out some of the chaff (which is, of course, precisely what the BBC did to ITV, as ITV did to them beforehand).
Given that I've had to sign up to Sky this week anyway, I'm not desperately unhappy about the deal now. I'm still not totally comfortable with buying into Murdoch's heinous empire however - but given that Sky are really making an effort to cater for me as an F1 fan, it seems churlish not to at least give them the benefit of the doubt for the first year!
Plus, the BBC effort seems to be so weak and diluted now, I really don't see much value in it - I grew less and less interested in EJ's opinions and Jake's wandering up and down the pitlane during the forum as this season progressed anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom