BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sold my house this summer, which was beautifully-served by Virgin Media. Mrs Bones & I have just exchanged contracts on our ideal home, and we move next week, but sadly it's not in a cable area (no TiVo! :disappointed:), so I'll be having a Sky+ HD box supplied through Virgin Media, as they'll be doing my phone & broadband again - it works out at half-price for the first 6 months too, as I've been such a long-term VM customer (£26pm, going up to £52pm for all services).

Having said all that, my mate who's a Virgin fitter says they're looking into supplying cable to the whole country via the phone network anyway (much like they do in the US), so eventually Sky will become redundant, providing you have a phone-line...

Even then, from the streetside box to the house, it will still be twisted pair.

Unless it's end-to-end fibre/co-ax, it's not going to be possible.

A couple of commentator-related Twitter goings on.

Martin Brundle and Georgie Thompson are now following each other.
Jake Humphrey, Ben Edwards and Ben Gallop are following each other.

Reactions: mjo
To be honest, sky have a much better pretty looking presenter on Sky Sports news, her name is Natalie something. Would like it if she presents F1 :embarrassed:

Well done Beeb, that's the way to build up anticipation for the forthcoming season, don't show the first two GP's live. (I don't believe the fact that they are early morning GP's has much relevence because part of the fun is getting up for them).

At least they've got some of the classic Tilke tracks anyway, can't wait for live coverage of Valencia, Korea and Abu Dhabi !!!!

On a plus note, at least they've got Belgium but no Canada :(

I'm hoping this free to Sky/Virgin customers channel is correct otherwise, I'm sure like most people (and my stance has softend some what) all I'll do is find out online if it sounded like a good race before watching the highlights. Another year of "storming driver by Vettel who ran away at the start and didn't look back" and I'll be getting most of my F1 coverage from the periodicals.

You can see F1 going the way of cricket and boxing in that it always been a minority sport but becomes marginalised even more if you can't watch it for free. Me, going to upgrade my Sky subscription and hope James Murdoch get's given the boot. F1 Digital was excellent, as soon as the race finished you could watch the whole thing again including the interactive stuff.

I'll be catching it when I can next year then. I'm not paying $ky a single ****ing penny. My stance has not softended somewhat! There is still 6 months to go though, I guess. :dunno:

Reactions: mjo
I'm afraid i'm heading Skywards, chums. The mem sahib has said "we'll have to have it, just based on the advert" so thumbs up all round, the PS3 is cuddled up under the xmas tree and a Sky HD subscription for my birthday in march.
Just need the lazyboy and my cardiac arrest will schedule itself!!

Just received a mailshot from Sky.

Hello Mr Brogan,

In March 2012, we're launching Sky Sports F1™ to bring you all the action like never before. We will take you under the skin of the sport with a depth of coverage previously unseen. And best of all, as a Sky HD or Sky Sports 1&2 customer, you'll receive this new, dedicated channel for free. You'll be able to enjoy:

- All next season's races live, uninterrupted and available in HD
- Every practise session live
- Behind the scenes news and coverage
- Expert Formula 1™ presentation team led by Martin Brundle

And so you don't miss any of the action, Sky Sports F1™ will also be available to watch on your laptop, mobile and iPad with Sky Go.

For those who don't currently have Sky, the cheapest option is "Sky TV with HD £30.25".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom