Grand Prix 2023 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

This week for alot of teams & drivers, Silverstone will feel like a homecoming. for so many. & its a race that almost always delivers on drama or Memorable moments since it was permanently the British gp circuit in 1987.

1987, the great battle of Mansell hunting down & overtaking Piquet
british 4.gif

1991 - Mansell giving Senna a lift back to the pits
british 91.jpg

1992- mansell mania at its height
british 2.jpg

1994 - schumacher getting black flagged for failure to take a stop go penalty
1995 - Schumacher & hill colliding, Herbert taking his maiden victory
british 95 2.jpg
british 95.jpg

1998 - Schumacher winning it in the pitlane, in 1 of the wettest british GP's on easter sunday

1999 - Schumacher breaking his leg at stowe,
2003 - the mad priest invading the circuit on hangar Straight

2007 - the roar of the crowd when Lewis Hamilton took the 1st pole for British driver at a British GP for 11 years
2008 - maybe Hamilton greatest drive where in horrendous conditions, he outclassed the field by winning by over minute & lapping all but those on the podium
british 2008.jpg

2010 - 1 of the most famous radio messages, webber saying not bad for a number 2 driver, that in hindsight was where Vettel & webber relationship has become intolerable
2013 - the controversy of pirelli's exploding tyres
british 2013.jpg

2014 - where lewis Hamilton won his 2nd home race with 3 drivers on the podium, who had started 6th, 14th & 8th.
2020 - Hamilton winning the british gp on 3 wheels as he had tyre failure on the final lap
british 5.jpg

2021 - the image that still has the ability to start a war & arguably did start 1. but is often forgotten how good leclerc drove that day & wouldve won the british gp any other year v any other driver. but he just ended up trying to fend an inspired Hamilton who was on a mission to deliver for the fans. hunted leclerc down
1688559484784.png

who could forget last year which did prove the 2023 catchphrase "it wouldve been a great race without Verstappen" as he had big car issues that took him out of contention . we had the start of Zhou, Russell bravely going straight to his aide, the late safety car, Ferrari strategy cock up, "through goes Hamilton" moment. 3 teams fighting for the win in the late contention & Sainz taking his maiden & to this day only victory

british 1.jpg
british 3.jpg
1688560036912.png

so who knows there is hope yet that red bull domination may end & we will get a great race like last year, but as irritating as it is to admit, having ago at verstappen is the wrong target, it is mercedes & ferraris fault for this monotonous season. 1 got the rules dreadfully wrong & 1 got them spot on, but with no idea of how to make it quicker. but there is hope yet Aston Martin, McLaren, Mercedes, Ferrari & Alpine are all bringing upgrades. are all so close together, so we have got our hopes like normal on 1 team leading the fight anyone number of those 5 teams could still be fighting after the summer break & potentially next season

Last edited:
not again Perez, out Q1 for 5th race in a row, despite driving potentially the most dominant car that could break the all the records McLaren set in 1988. the last he made Q2 he took pole in Miami, but maybe this is on the team. in drying conditions you always need to be the last person over the line. yet they made him sit there for 9 mins to be 1st

& norris again, the future with Russell & Norris looks brighter than i can remember if Hamilton ever goes. as they are easily 2 potential world champions. given the right machinery

what a lap from Lando im going to say those McLaren upgrades have worked. i so excited for a Norris pole, until the merchant of doom came in & imposed reality on us all LOL

but as i was saying on the regulations thread for 1st time in such a long time i cant remember. without red bull, nobody would know what car is the best currently. you never know from 1 race to the next who would be quicker. it would depend on the strengths & weaknesses of a circuit. as we would have potentially 4 different winners of the last 4 races
Spain - Mercedes
Canada - Aston Martin
Austria - Ferrari
Britain - McLaren

not again Perez, out Q1 for 5th race in a row, despite driving potentially the most dominant car that could break the all the records McLaren set in 1988. the last he made Q2 he took pole in Miami, but maybe this is on the team. in drying conditions you always need to be the last person over the line. yet they made him sit there for 9 mins to be 1st

& norris again, the future with Russell & Norris looks brighter than i can remember if Hamilton ever goes. as they are easily 2 potential world champions. given the right machinery

Is this all on him or the team 5 races in a row is getting ridiculous

what a lap from Lando im going to say those McLaren upgrades have worked. i so excited for a Norris pole, until the merchant of doom came in & imposed reality on us all LOL

but as i was saying on the regulations thread for 1st time in such a long time i cant remember. without red bull, nobody would know what car is the best currently. you never know from 1 race to the next who would be quicker. it would depend on the strengths & weaknesses of a circuit. as we would have potentially 4 different winners of the last 4 races
Spain - Mercedes
Canada - Aston Martin
Austria - Ferrari
Britain - McLaren
Mercedes were poor but the weather can mix things up

Is this all on him or the team 5 races in a row is getting ridiculous
i think its on the teams. its the basics again. everyone knows that in drying conditions you always need to be the last person over the line. yet they made him sit there for 9 mins to be 1st on track. while it has stopped raining

It could be an absolutely fascinating race tomorrow... We could be seeing racing like 2021 between Verstappen and Norris (replace with Hamilton for 21
strange as i talked about that in the introduction. the clip that could start a war , lets hope it goes better than 2 years ago LOL where both drivers shouldve given way. but considering lewis with home support & max being his stubborn self he wouldn't given way if that was jos. which contributes to his talent. it was never going to happen.

martin brundle insightful as ever when he talked about how max & lando seem really good friends & we will see how long that lasts when their fighting for the win. as show me 2 F1 friends, ill show 2 drivers who arent of equal talent or are in midfield machinery

No chance, Red Bull have over twice as many points as the team in second.

Max isn't under any pressure from his teammate so all is well in the Verstappen household.

It's all sunshine and lollipops.

i hope the flash flooding weather in sheffield hasnt turned up in Northampton. otherwise campers will be swimming out of their tents in the morning LOL

i hope the flash flooding weather in sheffield hasnt turned up in Northampton. otherwise campers will be swimming out of their tents in the morning LOL
I don't mind if it moves from Leeds where the cricket is to Silverstone so we can see Verstappen crash into the pitwall

What money on Danny Ric being in the second Red Bull at the next race?
Given how ill Perez was in Austria, I was amazed that Ricciardo wasn't in the seat there - it would have been a good excuse for the team to see whether the problem was that Perez is just not up to speed, or whether there's something wrong with his car, or...

However, I suspect that Perez knows that, if he has to miss a race, he probably won't see that seat ever again

Given how ill Perez was in Austria, I was amazed that Ricciardo wasn't in the seat there - it would have been a good excuse for the team to see whether the problem was that Perez is just not up to speed, or whether there's something wrong with his car, or...

However, I suspect that Perez knows that, if he has to miss a race, he probably won't see that seat ever again
I don't think DR is capable of replacing Checo. He's been out of the game for too long. The Renault and McLarren stints just ruined his confidence. He's there because people love him and it's good for PR.

Personally we aint going to see the DR of 2014 which is the version we want and if its that version then team Verstappen will hold him back and remind him that he has been given a lifeline when no one else gave him one

The Perez situation....everyone is after him for the blunder but has anyone at Red Bull come out and said we were caught out by the red flag and should not have put him at the front of the queue ! It seems like he is copping a lot of flak without team support

Last edited:
I don't think DR is capable of replacing Checo. He's been out of the game for too long. The Renault and McLarren stints just ruined his confidence. He's there because people love him and it's good for PR.
he's 1 of the nicest men in F1 & brilliant personality but if we can see red bull 2014 or even renault 2020. then maybe but if we get mclaren riccardio then its just going to ruin whats left of repuation because its horrible to say but we all know that if he was performing Riccardio would still be in that mclaren

but its the same problems with the red bulls, they have got nobody in their academy to fill in,

Last edited:
well Bottas is at the back of the grid and Perez must be seething about that given it was Bottas who denied him Q2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom