Grand Prix 2023 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

For some reason my brain has blanked the 2022 Belgian GP from my mind, I'm not sure why. Having just read the Wiki page for the race it appears that Max Verstappen was fastest in Qualifying, but should have started last due to various power unit penalties. However, he ended up 14th on the grid as seven other drivers also took either PU or gearbox penalties at the race as well.

Come the race, mobile chicane Nicolas Latifi nurfed Valterri Bottas off bringing out the safety car after only two laps and by this time Verstappen was already 8th. After the safety car it only took another 10 laps for Max to pass the rest of the cars in front, winning the race by nearly 18 seconds from his team mate, Sergio Perez.

Now here's the kicker for this weekend, it is supposed to rain for all three days. As we know from 2021 the FIA does not like to let the cars even try and race in the rain at Spa so assuming we have some sort of qualifying session getting your car on Pole with be an absolute imperative as you will then be able to follow Bernd Maylander round for 3 laps and be declared the winner. This might be the opportunity for a team other than Red Bull to win a race in 2023, but I wouldn't hold you breath on that.

Spa in the sunshine looks a beautiful place. Spa in the rain, when the clouds get trapped on top of the hills, looks dank, dark and miserable. Let's hope that there is some sort of race this weekend. Perhaps F1 might consider having the option to race on a Monday should the Sunday be a wash out. But then how could we squeeze all the races Liberty Media now demand in to the calendar if the teams lose even one day from their stupidly tight logistics schedule.

For you enjoyment, here is a much more interesting article than I could ever write from Motorsport Magazine about the FIA's attempts to allow cars to race in the rain, and the development of "mudguards" (rain or spray guards surely?) - F1's new 'mudguards' fail to reduce spray – but wet weather solution still needed

It also give you a little bit of history on the soul searching F1 teams and drivers have done over the years when it comes to protecting drivers in a wet race. The drivers choose to drive these cars and are rewarded handsomely, but have we reached a point where without significant changes in car design they shouldn't race in the wet? My POV is that as the teams will spend tens of millions trying to get an extra 10th of a second of performance from the car it should be down to them work on how they can reduce the problems of spray and come up with something quick and simple to install on the car in a racing pit stop. It will be the responsibility of the track officials to tell the teams when these must be fitted and when they can be removed, otherwise we know one team or driver will try to gain an advantage by not using the spray guards.

This is supposed to be the pinnacle of motor sport, the teams should be able to design a car which can race in conditions which are foreseeable over the course of a racing season.

The Spa race is 44 laps of a 4.35 mile circuit, enjoy. There is also a sprint race, which I won't enjoy.

The FIA are aware these exist yes?

1690627096908.png

The FIA are aware these exist yes?

View attachment 16578
during that filling during the delay. glad brundle & crofty are as annoyed as most fans with pointlessness of bringing full wet tyres, but delaying sessions until its ready for inters

brundle saying something like do they realise we have blue tyres & crofty replied, on no they are only used for doing 3 laps behind the safety car

but i find it frustrating pirelli been in F1 as long as Bridgestone were & yet we still dont have a viable Full Wet tyre. for when it exceeds inters

i wish i knew the race was delayed i couldve taken my time. as i ran about half a mile from far end of waltzers to the onsite sports bar to watch the Sprint. in what i thought was 8 mins. but i had 35 mins it seems 😄
work running GIF

cracking race eventually even with the inevitable outcome but some great drama & great bravery mostly decent driving. did really enjoy the sprint. the format is slowly growing on me

that 5 sec pen is ludicrous, what happened to let them race. or have racing incidents gone the same way as the full wet tyres, he was side by side had the inside line. if anything its perez stupid fault for fighting a losing battle. has to take his share of the blame

Screenshot_20230729_172059_Twitter.jpg

Last edited:
I was more concerned by the weave Perez had at Sainz and le Clerc as they went past. He nearly put Sainz in the wall and le Clerc off the track.
I did feel that Perez wasn't driving fairly after he collided with Hamilton. However it wouldn't be the first time. :(. Personally, I thought he should have been banned for the second of these collisions:

Last edited:
What a,load of 💩 this weekend has been so far you might as well call it the Red Bull Grsnd Prix every FIA decision seems to favour Red Bull

The starting grid rule
The safety careading more laps than anyone else until lap 7 so we ended with just over 10 laps if racing
Hamilton's penalty - someone needs to go to sort savers thinking it was Verstappen bring hit

The inconvenient truth from that sprint race will be, that the penalty that Hamilton got, will be the excuse Sergio Perez needed to once again hide from the fact, that in that RedBull rocket, he was once again miles of the pace.

What a,load of 💩 this weekend has been so far you might as well call it the Red Bull Grsnd Prix every FIA decision seems to favour Red Bull

The starting grid rule
The safety careading more laps than anyone else until lap 7 so we ended with just over 10 laps if racing
Hamilton's penalty - someone needs to go to sort savers thinking it was Verstappen bring hit
I meant leading more laps than Verstappen
Who was on the incomplete stewards this weekend they need to go spec savers

Am I bias or was that penalty for Hamilton a total disgrace? To quote a much revered former race director “its called motor racing”.
Also what’s the logic in the penalty for a gearbox change applying only for the race when advantage will be gained in the sprint (hence makes sense to change ina sprint weekend).

The inconvenient truth from that sprint race will be, that the penalty that Hamilton got, will be the excuse Sergio Perez needed to once again hide from the fact, that in that RedBull rocket, he was once again miles of the pace.

nearly 9 tenths off in race qualifying & in the sprint. Lewis, Sainz & Leclerc were queuing up to overtake Perez. before any of the incident. it was looking as if he wouldve been lucky to stay in the top 10. perez certainly needs a reset this summer break

Hamberg it was ridiculous. racing wheel to wheel its always a possibility. but id defend anyone in this, because what are we tuning in for. if it isnt for these battles i dont want a processional F1 where drivers are too terrified to overtake. in case they are penalised. like grosjean in hungary, i want to 2013? made the overtake of the season at fast kink of T4. but got penalised for having 1 wheel off the track

Guess who is on the stewards this week ? Derek Warwick as the driver's rep but who are the other clowns who think it is ?

As for the spray this is become ridiculous if Pirelli cannot produce a good enough wet tyre to disperse the water and we are in a situation that we are denied being shown driver skills and having to watch 10 laps wasted watching a parade

Back
Top Bottom