Grand Prix 2018 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So after an exciting British GP we move on to Germany. The Hockenheimring, where hopefully the excitement will continue.
It really is the home race of Mercedes, as the original circuit was used by Mercedes Benz to test their cars, but that was a very long time ago and the circuit then was nothing like the current, and in my opinion, strangely shaped circuit of today. Seen from the air it's a sort of square shape with a protuberance shaped like" Pinnochio's nose" coming off one side. Much has changed since the large triangular circuit that Mercedes Benz used. At one point the circuit became a large oval shape and ran through the forrest, and the race could be dry in the Stadium section and wet through the trees, which was always an interesting situation. However Herman Tilk got his hands on the place, and now the circuit is 4.75Km long and the forrest section is gone for ever.
It 's not a track with a lot of fast corners and it's quite slow through the twisty stadium section which is one of the original parts of the track that remains, and, where they have built a large number of grandstands. Obviously a good place to watch the race from.
The last race here was in 2016, and it was won by Lewis Hamilton in ... A Mercedes...But they haven't had it all their own way. Ferrari have had the most wins at Hockenheim over the years, so both teams will be going there with Huge expectations. I'm not about to pretend that I have any idea which car will be well suited to the track, or indeed which tyres should do well, the tyre choices are, I believe, Soft, Ultrasoft and Medium. But our CTA tyre expert will reveal all, I'm sure.

Qualifying at Hockenheim is quite important, as in, you qualify well, you do well. Although some of our younger drivers may not have got that point, I'm Sure Max will give it a go wherever he qualifies. Vettel now has 171 points to Hamilton's 163. Raikkonen is on 116 and Bottas is on 104. Obviously Ferrari are ahead, 287 to 267. Red Bull are doing their best but on 199 points total they are really going to have to hope for a miracle. The race is between the top two teams at the moment, and for once it really is a race. Lets hope it remains exciting in Germany. Lets hope Romain has a weekend where he doesn't hit anything or anyone. And lets hope for a miracle for McLaren as well as for Red Bull.
For anyone who is going to the race, if you walk through the old forrest section you will find a wooden cross a memorial to Jim Clark. There is a plaque behind turn 2 of todays circuit for him, but it's only there because the forrest section is no longer part of the circuit. One of the F1 greats.

Last edited:
but yes Bill Boddy i thought it was strange as much i want to defend Hamilton he has been erratic. Rosberg who you would've assumed that would know the working of the Mercedes very well. said that its almost guaranteed that it caused damage with the battering its taken & lets say the steering was pulling but nowhere he explains why he kept his foot on the accelerator. also like a lot of you even i am shocked he seemingly got off scot free for jumping out of his car on a live track. because it 1 of most dangerous things ive seen on a track. because as i said at the time its a near 90 degree corner that they are taking at 150mph

if Mercedes leave in 2021 for me its could be great news for long term of F1. because Liberty Media should take a leaf out of Bernie's book. money has spiralled way out of control, say these are the rules this is the budget cap dont like it. theres the door. because i really dislike teams only thinking of themselves & not of the sport. because a better product benefits everyone

Last edited:
Could be the first wet race of this year apparently. That should liven things up some if it happens. I have to wait until this evening for highlights though so no one tell me what's happening once it starts :no:

F1Brits_90 If Liberty Media can stand their ground and take absolute no :censored: from Mercedes and Ferrari then that is a good sign for the future of F1

I am sure we will hear Ferrari will quit threat again

Looking forward to this race, could Bottas shake things up in corner 1, what do mean I went straight on in to the gravel trap Seb, do you want a lift out of the car, as you ain't pushing that back on the track

40% chance of rain. Hope it's a good race.

Oh forgot to say 200mph through the trees, Tilke you %+=&&@#&

Have I mentioned previously how much I despise Tilke's act of vandalism at this circuit, how I will never be persuaded that it was needed and......

What's that?

I have, almost every year I've been a member? (Exactly 10 years today by the way !!!!).

Ok, I'll shut up then. :p

We have been on holiday. Just back today, in time for the race. :)

It’s quite difficult to watch the race and chat as my iPad screen is smashed and looks like crazy glass. But it seems to be working underneath that.

Looking forward to this race, could Bottas shake things up in corner 1, what do mean I went straight on in to the gravel trap Seb, do you want a lift out of the car, as you ain't pushing that back on the track

40% chance of rain. Hope it's a good race.

Looks like Bottas wasn't needed for Seb to get in the Kitty Litter.

Cracking race, though think Bottas could have won it, had he had the chance.

I don't think that Hamilton will be punished, the pit wall changed their instructions to him and that will be enough for the stewards, rules and precedents are irrelevant in the brave new world of Liberty

I'm surprised by Vettel's mistake, it shouldn't really happen. I also think that the situation highlights another strategic mistake by Vettel: the fact that he doesn't want a team mate that can be close to him, he's always fighting against 2 Mercs on his own and he always ends up in a difficult situation (and as a consequence he makes too many mistakes). given how close the fight is between Mercedes and Ferrari IMHO Vettel will never win the WDC unless Ferrari hires someone that can give him a hand (Kimi is a great guy but it doesn't really seem as if his motivation is the same of his glory days)

That decision is absolutely pathetic and should be a warning to anyone who laughably calls this a sport.

It’s a slam-dunk, thoroughly bottled.

Back
Top Bottom