Grand Prix 2018 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So after an exciting British GP we move on to Germany. The Hockenheimring, where hopefully the excitement will continue.
It really is the home race of Mercedes, as the original circuit was used by Mercedes Benz to test their cars, but that was a very long time ago and the circuit then was nothing like the current, and in my opinion, strangely shaped circuit of today. Seen from the air it's a sort of square shape with a protuberance shaped like" Pinnochio's nose" coming off one side. Much has changed since the large triangular circuit that Mercedes Benz used. At one point the circuit became a large oval shape and ran through the forrest, and the race could be dry in the Stadium section and wet through the trees, which was always an interesting situation. However Herman Tilk got his hands on the place, and now the circuit is 4.75Km long and the forrest section is gone for ever.
It 's not a track with a lot of fast corners and it's quite slow through the twisty stadium section which is one of the original parts of the track that remains, and, where they have built a large number of grandstands. Obviously a good place to watch the race from.
The last race here was in 2016, and it was won by Lewis Hamilton in ... A Mercedes...But they haven't had it all their own way. Ferrari have had the most wins at Hockenheim over the years, so both teams will be going there with Huge expectations. I'm not about to pretend that I have any idea which car will be well suited to the track, or indeed which tyres should do well, the tyre choices are, I believe, Soft, Ultrasoft and Medium. But our CTA tyre expert will reveal all, I'm sure.

Qualifying at Hockenheim is quite important, as in, you qualify well, you do well. Although some of our younger drivers may not have got that point, I'm Sure Max will give it a go wherever he qualifies. Vettel now has 171 points to Hamilton's 163. Raikkonen is on 116 and Bottas is on 104. Obviously Ferrari are ahead, 287 to 267. Red Bull are doing their best but on 199 points total they are really going to have to hope for a miracle. The race is between the top two teams at the moment, and for once it really is a race. Lets hope it remains exciting in Germany. Lets hope Romain has a weekend where he doesn't hit anything or anyone. And lets hope for a miracle for McLaren as well as for Red Bull.
For anyone who is going to the race, if you walk through the old forrest section you will find a wooden cross a memorial to Jim Clark. There is a plaque behind turn 2 of todays circuit for him, but it's only there because the forrest section is no longer part of the circuit. One of the F1 greats.

Last edited:
Based on Vettel's time suggestion is that Ferrari might have the race pace because he did his time on the soft compared to ultra soft of Riccardo and Hamilton

The most noticeable gap Vandoorne in a Mclaren 2.6 seconds behind Riccardo with the same engine although tyres difference is given away 0.5 seconds per lap so over 2 seconds slower which is what Alonso is to Riccardo

and compare to Renault who are 1.8 seconds down on Red Bull using Hulkenberg as a benchmark. That is a lot of difference in the chassis performance between the 3 cars on what is a relatively short track by modern F1 standards

Last edited:
Given all the engine penalties Ricciardo is picking up this weekend it's a real shame for him. He's looking really fast but will be starting at the back of the grid. I'm sure he's just thrilled about that.

Thanks olegg.

For some reason, I get the sense that this is sort of the make or break race of the season. The thin tires are no longer in use, the teams mid-season changes and engines have been installed, and now we are going to see their speed for the second half of the season. I gather Red Bull is actually out of it for the season, even though they are topping the charts for FP1. I think there are four main stories here:

1. Does Mercedes have the edge this weekend? If so, then does this mean that they (Hamilton) are favored for the championship?
2. Does Ferrari have the edge this weekend? If so, then does this mean that they (Vettel) are favored for the championship?
3. Are we going to see a rejuvenated and competitive McLaren?
4. Are we going to see Williams move up from the back of the pack?

Hard to tell much from FP1. Ferrari only ran soft tires, so not sure how they compare to Mercedes. McLaren and Williams fastest car only ran a better time than both Toro Rosso cars, so hard to tell much from that. Haas maintains its best of the rest status (with Grosjean over Magnussen) while Leclerc continues to impress.

Dijj9iwWkAEOCIf.jpg

Thanks olegg.

1. Does Mercedes have the edge this weekend? If so, then does this mean that they (Hamilton) are favored for the championship?

2. Does Ferrari have the edge this weekend? If so, then does this mean that they (Vettel) are favored for the championship?

3. Are we going to see a rejuvenated and competitive McLaren?

4. Are we going to see Williams move up from the back of the pack?

1 & 2 - i believe its a 2 horse race barring unreliability. Bottas is unlucky not to be in contention. But Hamilton & vettel are just a cut above in the 2 best teams

3- Probally they are in a bad way. As we finding out that last 3 years were terrible because honda reliability & mclaren car is so draggy it will always struggle

4 - i really worry for them. Williams they really are in disarray. Its sad to seem they hit rock bottom. I remember watching teds monaco qualifying notebook & impromptu Patrick head interview. He said that Williams thought they had update worth around 1.5 - 2 secs. But Fp1 didnt bode well with the 2 tone aero paint that ted said that is sure fire way to know that their dont trust windtunnel

Well, Red Bull mysteriously stays on top in FP2. It appears that:

1. Mercedes has the edge. We shall see what tomorrow brings.
2. McLaren and Williams have not turned the corner for the rest of the season.

Well, Red Bull mysteriously stays on top in FP2.

Why mysteriously? Have I missed something? I expect them to be quick this weekend, as they will be in Hungary and Singapore. It's a very good car that just struggles to qualify well, and finish races in the required quantity.

Why mysteriously? Have I missed something? I expect them to be quick this weekend, as they will be in Hungary and Singapore. It's a very good car that just struggles to qualify well, and finish races in the required quantity.
Hey, even Verstappen, with his age and wisdom, was saying today that Red Bull is not in the running.

The article I saw says:

Red Bull's title chances dwindling - Verstappen
2018-07-20
Jul.20 (GMM) Max Verstappen admits Red Bull has taken a step backwards in its outside bid for the 2018 title.​

And he says the main reason is not the car, but the Renault engine.​

"The difference is now greater than it was at the beginning of the season," said the Dutchman.​

"In Canada we were only 0.15 behind them, but at Silverstone it was much bigger. 1.1 seconds."​

Verstappen said Red Bull's claim about having the best chassis in formula one is still correct.​

"We can continue to develop it, but the others don't stand still either," he said. "I wish we had more power. But it's just like that.​

"Only if a lot of crazy things happen do we have an outside chance of winning the title. To become champion, you have to be competitive on every circuit," he added.​

Interesting news. Their is a chance a that we could have george russell in a mercedes this weekend. Lewis is feeling unwell & has been actly very unusually. But the talk is that they are still expecting lewis to start in qualifying

Last edited:
Ruslan My mistake; of course they're not going to win the title. Max is rather responsible for that.

They might win the German Grand Prix, though.

Hammy's Championship efforts given a bit of a kick in Q1 with a hydraulic failure. Best start he can hope for now is 14th but something for us fans to watch as he comes back through the field in the race (at least).

its 2014 again as lewis which bad luck in qualifying when his disc brake snapped, but this was bad luck but of his making as look a bit desperate & not thinking straight. as he did kept his foot in when he should have lifted off & came back on smoother. causing a potential gearbox fault. then on a live track jumping out & trying to push, when there were cars on flying laps doing 145mph at T10 :o

Last edited:
I'd suggest that Hamilton should face a penalty for pushing his car like that - the track was live, and either he could have compromised other people's laps, but worse, he was putting himself in danger by pushing the car...

I'd suggest that Hamilton should face a penalty for pushing his car like that - the track was live, and either he could have compromised other people's laps, but worse, he was putting himself in danger by pushing the car...

as much i support & defend Hamilton. i couldn't believe my eyes as i said T10 their were cars unsighted doing 150mph post apex. incredibly dangerous. i would assume he would have to give a penalty

also just a point Leclerc outqualified ericcsson again by 8 tenths

Ruslan My mistake; of course they're not going to win the title. Max is rather responsible for that.

They might win the German Grand Prix, though.
Well, they really didn't look to be in reach during qualifying. I think they are already looking towards Hungary.

It was nice to a see a driver out there pushing his car. Brings back memories.

Back
Top Bottom