Pre-Season 2018-2019 Winter testing and car launches

I cannot find any Q/A to and from Ferrari whether they identified and corrected root cause for yesterday's equipment malfunction. Surely it could be only temporary fix for this weeks and validation of its effectiveness is probably being executed this morning, yet still, one would expect at least a few words about it. I don't think Le Clerc would want the same accident happen to him.
"Ferrari has offered an update on Vettel's crash yesterday afternoon, which it says was caused by a rim issue. It reckons the rim was damaged "a few seconds before by an impact with a foreign object"."

I am still lacking understanding of physical process which caused Ferrari to veer off. Tire was getting loose in least convenient moment an Vettel could not steer the car or what actually happened?

What is "rim issue"? I am aware lack of public information on this subject, but can someone speculate describe some scenarios in plausible terms, please.

Often it's a foreign object, lik a stone/piece of metal, caught between the wheel and the brake system cowlings, it's an unlikely occurance, and the gaps are tiny but can happen.

When it does, usually the object gets worn down enough to fall out and other than some marking and parts needing replaced for the next session everything is fine, but in some cases the object is harder than the brake cowling/wheel, so when it gets trapped it wears the wheel/cowling away rather than the other way round, this results in catastrophic failure of the wheel/brake.

"Hamilton now leading..
The Mercedes driver goes quicker still on his next flying lap, now dropping the benchmark to 1:18.097.

We pondered this earlier - so is the day Mercedes reveal their true pace?"
Ominous, as it's on the C2 tyre
Same tyre..
Leclerc first flying lap is enough for him to find time.
He shoots to third with a 1m17.253s lap as Gasly pits.

Often it's a foreign object, lik a stone/piece of metal, caught between the wheel and the brake system cowlings, it's an unlikely occurance, and the gaps are tiny but can happen.

When it does, usually the object gets worn down enough to fall out and other than some marking and parts needing replaced for the next session everything is fine, but in some cases the object is harder than the brake cowling/wheel, so when it gets trapped it wears the wheel/cowling away rather than the other way round, this results in catastrophic failure of the wheel/brake.
Plausible as you described. I gather investigation did not required Pirelli to get involved, therefore it is probably external element, thus for now I place it into "one of those things" column.

Ferrari spokesperson said, “After thorough checks we found that Seb’s off yesterday was due to a rim issue. The rim had been damaged a few seconds before by an impact with a foreign object.”

Last edited:
Ferrari into the 1:16s

That Ferrari has certainly been motoring in the last half an hour
Leclerc takes over from Albon at the top with a new benchmark of 1:16.658 on the C4 tyres.
That's within half a second of last year's Spanish GP pole time.

But it's that earlier 1:17.2 time on the harder compound which continues to stand out.

Leclerc doing qualy sims.. Merc is doing tomorrow, based on Bottas interview earlier...

"13:47 There it is - another fastest lap from the Ferrari driver. 1m16.361s is Leclerc's new benchmark.

13:57 It's another marginal improvement for Leclerc, who gets down to a 1m16.231s. That again looked as though it was on the C5."

Has RBR done some bluffing, and manipulated true markings (and their ID) of tires on their car, and then wash them off? Is this actually permissible?

As we go green again in Barcelona for the afternoon session, some highlights from Charles Leclerc's media session.

- He says Ferrari weren't going flat-out this morning and can go faster

- Not sure if Mercedes and Red Bull are flat-out but admits, if he were a betting man, he'd go for Ferrari

- Ferrari will start race simulations this afternoon which should give them better idea of pecking order

Where did u read that?

Or some insinuations?
I saw this on Twitter GP247 was running. Clip displayed 2 men washing tires, and brushing sides. I am not sure what was that all about, which is why I asked here. Maybe commentators were joking...
D0fVUTuX0AARxMQ.jpg

SPY: And with just a little help from the jetwash, the C2 magically turned into a C1… #RBspy
1f575-fe0f-200d-2642-fe0f.png
#F1Testing

Last edited:
Red Bull even went as far as to disguise their mechanics as Mercedes staff! Disgusting! LOL
Darn you are right. They had RBR written below the picture, and it is only now when I look closer, mechanics on their back have something which could read Petronas. So it was a joke after all.

Back
Top Bottom