Grand Prix 2014 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The races are now coming thick and fast and the Drivers Championship is warming up nicely after Nico Rosberg's first DNF of the season gave a relatively easy win to Lewis Hamilton. The circus moves on now to Germany, at the emasculated Hockenheim circuit.

Last year Vettel won the first home race of his career. This year I'm sure another German driver, in the shape of Nico Rosberg, will be hoping this will be his turn. After Lewis won his home race maybe Mercedes will have something predetermined (oops, I've just started the first conspiracy theory).

Outside of both Mercedes cars failing it's hard to see any other team winning. Should the Silver Arrows falter Williams are looking best placed to pick something up but I suspect it's more likely to be a podium for either Massa or Bottas. McLaren appeared to find some pace at Silverstone, maybe their technical team have finally realised they have the best engine on the grid and should, perhaps, take advantage of it. Red Bull will also be looking to pick up the crumbs and, as appears to be the pattern, Ricciardo is more likely benefit than Vettel.

The Force India cars were off the pace in Silverstone, perhaps Hockenheim will better suit them. I'm sure the other Nico will want to put on a good show for his home crowd. It will be interesting to see which German midfield runner Fernando Alonso chooses to have a fight with. His preference most races has been Nico Hulkenberg but at Silverstone he decided to have a fight with Sebastian Vettel, which was quite entertaining.

Toro Rosso will be just behind the Ferrari's and Red Bull's, maybe collecting point or two. Of the other teams Lotus will just ahead of Sauber, the biggest question will be who will crash into whom during the race. Marussia and Caterham will fighting to be last, with Caterham almost certain to win that battle.

I forgot to mention Kimi Raikkonen. Hopefully he will be fully recovered for the German race but, on current form, Ferrari might look to stick someone else in the car.

Did I mention I'll be there? Well I will. Look out for a fat bloke with two kids waving like a tit at the camera. Maybe I'll put some Union Jack underpants on my head, that should please the German TV director :D Bring on the frites and wurst!

The Merc is probably further ahead than the 12 Bull was, and they'll pull every set-up trick in the book.

Absence from the grid means that he can't make any places off the line, so that makes it tough.

KekeTheKing teabagyokel
He can't make places off the line but never know if one or two cars take each other as its a short sprint to the first corner at Hockenheim

the Mercedes usually wins races by 30 seconds or more so don't be surprised if Lewis finishes in the top 5 by the end of the race

But on the other hand at least he won't have to worry about the crash kings ballsing his race up he can just cruise past them when he deems it safe to do so...

that was my thinking with Sutil who would have been next to him along with Maldonado and Gutierrez within close proximity

what might further help his cause if is Nico has a start like China and falls down the field a bit to slow him down

Bwst thing that could happen to this race entertainment-wise would be for a Williams to take the lead at the start. They're even quicker than the Mercedes on straight-line speed aren't they, and would be tough to overtake on the track.

He's been showing signs of it for a little bit but this quali makes it look like Bottas has found another gear. Great stuff from him.

Also things seem to have clicked for Kmag with a quali performance not to underestimate.

Shame we didn't get to see Lewis and Nico go head to head.

Kmag got the new rear wing bolted on in FP1 he had two full sessions a total of three hours to tune the car to the new wing, Button didn't get the new wing until FP3 giving him only one hour to sort out the car, an advantage for Kmag definitely a disadvantage for Button definitely contrived by the team and Ron in particular to promote his new protégé most probably, I certainly wouldn't put it past him to do so considering his recent comments...

Last edited:
Kmag got the new rear wing bolted on in FP1 he had two full sessions a total of three hours to tune the car to the new wing, Button didn't get the new wing until FP3 giving him only one hour to sort out the car, an advantage for Kmag definitely a disadvantage for Button definitely contrived by the team and Ron in particular to promote his new protégé most probably, I certainly wouldn't put it past him to do so considering his recent comments...

One hour should be enough to find a decent setup. Given their current high rate of development and the FRIC ban, they should definitely do better than earlier this season. Magnussen's fourth place is a reflection of the car's true potential.

I do find it bizarre that if you have a gearbox failure, accident-related or mechanical, during the race there is no penalty; but if it happens during qualifying you get stung with a 5 place grid drop.

As KMag has only had one short session at Hockenheim 4 years previous in his F3 days and he's rocked up here in F1 and put it at the front above cars that the Mclaren does not usually have the legs on I think he should get some credit.

To put it all down to a new wing and some sort of team conspiracy just because he puts it in front of Button in quali seems somewhat harsh on our Kev really.

I really hate those pit-radio broadcasts. Don't want to know what teams are telling their drivrs during the race, and I don't like the way teams using each others' broadcasts to work out their tactics.
But yesterday gave me another reason to dislike them. When Hamilton had his crash and the team asked him if was OK, and Lewis clearly shaken you just felt like saying "Bloody well leave him alone!" (to the tely I mean)
The radio messages are obviously delayed but someone obviously thought it was OK to air it, but that felt a bit distateful I thought...

Back
Top Bottom