Grand Prix 2014 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The races are now coming thick and fast and the Drivers Championship is warming up nicely after Nico Rosberg's first DNF of the season gave a relatively easy win to Lewis Hamilton. The circus moves on now to Germany, at the emasculated Hockenheim circuit.

Last year Vettel won the first home race of his career. This year I'm sure another German driver, in the shape of Nico Rosberg, will be hoping this will be his turn. After Lewis won his home race maybe Mercedes will have something predetermined (oops, I've just started the first conspiracy theory).

Outside of both Mercedes cars failing it's hard to see any other team winning. Should the Silver Arrows falter Williams are looking best placed to pick something up but I suspect it's more likely to be a podium for either Massa or Bottas. McLaren appeared to find some pace at Silverstone, maybe their technical team have finally realised they have the best engine on the grid and should, perhaps, take advantage of it. Red Bull will also be looking to pick up the crumbs and, as appears to be the pattern, Ricciardo is more likely benefit than Vettel.

The Force India cars were off the pace in Silverstone, perhaps Hockenheim will better suit them. I'm sure the other Nico will want to put on a good show for his home crowd. It will be interesting to see which German midfield runner Fernando Alonso chooses to have a fight with. His preference most races has been Nico Hulkenberg but at Silverstone he decided to have a fight with Sebastian Vettel, which was quite entertaining.

Toro Rosso will be just behind the Ferrari's and Red Bull's, maybe collecting point or two. Of the other teams Lotus will just ahead of Sauber, the biggest question will be who will crash into whom during the race. Marussia and Caterham will fighting to be last, with Caterham almost certain to win that battle.

I forgot to mention Kimi Raikkonen. Hopefully he will be fully recovered for the German race but, on current form, Ferrari might look to stick someone else in the car.

Did I mention I'll be there? Well I will. Look out for a fat bloke with two kids waving like a tit at the camera. Maybe I'll put some Union Jack underpants on my head, that should please the German TV director :D Bring on the frites and wurst!

Lewis Hamilton is showing more shades of Nigel Mansell with all the dramas he keeps having.. why are they never on Rosberg's side?

Lets not start any conspiracy theories about a home win

I think Mercedes should be careful in what they say as it seems they are suggesting that all Brambo brake discs are dangerous which is clearly not the case and Brambo are not going to take an allegation like that too kindly

Brambo are not going to take an allegation like that too kindly

Their brake disc just exploded on its 4th lap. I'd say Mercedes have legitimate reservations about the other discs in this batch. I doubt they'll get special dispensation to change the brakes without penalty, but they are certainly within their rights to question the scrutineers and the supplier about the matter. Especially when Wolff said they had a problem earlier in the season and had to revise their product because of it.

Edit - spelling

They may feel that they may have a legitimate concern but when they start saying to other teams to be concerned as well then they are overstepping the mark one brake failure is an anomaly not a trend, any part on any car can fail at any time it could have just as easily have been a carbon industries brake disc that failed Brembo have been supplying brakes in F1 for years and it is no secret that they have been Hamilton's choice of brakes since he first turned a wheel in F1.

And for all anyone knows it could have been finger trouble that caused the failure and nothing to with the disc itself, so like I say it's best not to point the finger until all the facts are known...

Edit

I am assuming everyone knows what "Finger trouble" is...

If a part fails on an aircraft they ground the fleet and check the parts in question until they are satisfied all is well.

Something failed quality control and a brake disc is pretty serious and will lead to accidents. They have every right to question it.

Finger trouble is when a part isn't fitted properly by mistake for instance the torque settings holding a part in place could be incorrect causing a failure of the part even if there is absolutely nothing wrong with the part itself..

When a wheel falls off after a pitstop it isn't the wheels fault or the nuts but it could be the person fitting the wheel who was at fault or a dodgy airgun.

Didn't he bin in FP1 in 2010 when it was raining as well also he copped for that puncture in 2011 it seems to me this track hasn't be a very lucky one for him...

That shunt was at the Nurburgring, as well as the puncture induced by Webber in 2009.

Lewis did pick up severe damage from a puncture in the 2012 German GP at Hockenheim that ruined his race though.

Hammy should be watching the 2008 race tonight.

Mephistopheles - that is what Vettel and Red Bull did in Abu Dhabi 2012 starting from the pitlane when they were the back of the grid

On circuits where passing is possible then maybe starting from the pit lane is not a bad idea to avoid the first corner melee but obviously somewhere like Monaco that is a no brainer

There have been some spectacular startline incidents at Hockenheim so starting from the pitlane is probably a safer option for LEwis

Abu Dhabi with double DRS is not Hockenheim. And Vettel wasn't driving a rebuilt car with a different brake supplier. Having said that I wouldn't be surprised to see Lewis on the podium tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom