Grand Prix 2014 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The races are now coming thick and fast and the Drivers Championship is warming up nicely after Nico Rosberg's first DNF of the season gave a relatively easy win to Lewis Hamilton. The circus moves on now to Germany, at the emasculated Hockenheim circuit.

Last year Vettel won the first home race of his career. This year I'm sure another German driver, in the shape of Nico Rosberg, will be hoping this will be his turn. After Lewis won his home race maybe Mercedes will have something predetermined (oops, I've just started the first conspiracy theory).

Outside of both Mercedes cars failing it's hard to see any other team winning. Should the Silver Arrows falter Williams are looking best placed to pick something up but I suspect it's more likely to be a podium for either Massa or Bottas. McLaren appeared to find some pace at Silverstone, maybe their technical team have finally realised they have the best engine on the grid and should, perhaps, take advantage of it. Red Bull will also be looking to pick up the crumbs and, as appears to be the pattern, Ricciardo is more likely benefit than Vettel.

The Force India cars were off the pace in Silverstone, perhaps Hockenheim will better suit them. I'm sure the other Nico will want to put on a good show for his home crowd. It will be interesting to see which German midfield runner Fernando Alonso chooses to have a fight with. His preference most races has been Nico Hulkenberg but at Silverstone he decided to have a fight with Sebastian Vettel, which was quite entertaining.

Toro Rosso will be just behind the Ferrari's and Red Bull's, maybe collecting point or two. Of the other teams Lotus will just ahead of Sauber, the biggest question will be who will crash into whom during the race. Marussia and Caterham will fighting to be last, with Caterham almost certain to win that battle.

I forgot to mention Kimi Raikkonen. Hopefully he will be fully recovered for the German race but, on current form, Ferrari might look to stick someone else in the car.

Did I mention I'll be there? Well I will. Look out for a fat bloke with two kids waving like a tit at the camera. Maybe I'll put some Union Jack underpants on my head, that should please the German TV director :D Bring on the frites and wurst!

Error.png

mjo

Hamilton
Australia - At least 18 points lost
Canada - Was ahead of Rosberg when his brakes failed, 18 points lost, Rosberg would move from 3rd to 2nd and gain another 3, 21 points in the title fight lost
Germany - Lost at least 4th place in qualifying, who knows how many points?

Rosberg
Great Britain - Looked like Hamilton would have caught him but let's be kind and say it cost him 32 points in the title fight

So being kind to Rosberg and cruel to Hamilton, Hamilton is a net 4 points down and it's about to get worse tomorrow. If we're being realistic about the points, Hamilton has lost a net 26 so far I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Last edited:
We can't keep totting up potential points lost over some calamity. What happened happened, we can't change that, and both Mercs have diced it out numerous times over the season. Frankly, scraping the bottom of the barrel for 'stats' like these smacks of the word excuse.

I just wish we had a fair fight between the Mercedes drivers in the Championship.

With that choice of words, are you implying that Merc are stage managing the results to favor one driver over the other at any given race? Even I'm not THAT cynical.

Anyway, I'm very pleased for the Williams team and would be delighted to see them win tomorrow.

mjo, you're the one who just stated that they've both had their fair share of bad luck, which they clearly haven't, so I'm not sure what reaction you expected.

teabagyokel I saw that Barrichello win at Hockenheim a couple of nights ago on Sky F1. That was a bizarre race all round. something like that tomorrow (without the track-invading idiot) would be fun. what's the weather forecast again?

edit: and the Alonso win in 2008 was a little... shall we say... unusual?

Last edited:
Mercedes still haven't solved their reliability issues. The high temperatures will be a real threat, so I am a little afraid that none of the Mercedes' will finish the race - I certainly hope not.

The most interesting part of the race will be Hamilton's progress. In 2008 he showed the overtaking opportunities of this track and I expect him to be back in the points quickly. Possibly he will go for the counter strategy, which may enable him to show the true potential of his car after everyone has pitted. Meanwhile, Rosberg may be vulnerable to the Williams cars and he possibly has to make some concessions to his strategy in order to stay ahead. This race looks promising I must say.

siffert_fan I wasn't saying sabotage was involved, simply that Hamilton has been more unfortunate.

mjo I never said these were statistics, because they're not. They're assumptions, but reasonable ones to make. By your logic Hamilton could retire from the rest of the races and I'd still be making an excuse for him not winning the title.

Hamilton has had more bad luck than Rosberg this season, this has affected his Championship challenge, I don't see how this is an excuse. I'd just like to see some great battles between the pair and hope that reliability doesn't play a part in who wins the title, whichever driver it may be.

Chad Stewarthill I was just responding to no-FIAt-please 's point that 'I just wish we had a fair fight between the Mercedes drivers in the Championship'.
Without diverting too much from the thread title, both drivers have been in unfortunate situations this season, and it would be unfair to detract from a drivers' world championship by complaining that 'x wouldn't have won if y didn't retire from this race, that race and this other race'.

Whilst it is the ideal scenario if both drivers could race at every venue hammer-and-tongs, that simply hasn't and won't happen - I understand where you're coming from no-FIAt-please , but I think your wording may lead some (and me!!!) to conclude that by one driver having more retirements than the other, the championship was unfairly fought.

mjo but do you see the other point of view?
Hamilton has clearly had substantially more bad luck in terms of mechanical failures than Rosberg so far, so it's odd to hear someone say that they've had about the same.

Perhaps over the course of the season it will even out; let's hope so. Maybe even by tomorrow teatime it will have; it's not impossible that Rosberg could crash or have engine failure or a puncture and Hamilton could fight through for a win or at least a good points finish - he's done it before at this very track.

I just hope that whatever happens the eventual champion, whoever it is, isn't decided by Abu-Dhouble.

starting the from the pitlane for Lewis might not be a bad idea because someone might make a wild start and I remember Vettel one year trying to squeeze Alonso to the wall and all he got a was a Ferrari club sandwich and he caused a concertina behind him

How about the crazy start of 1994 when half the field got wiped out started from Hakkinen skating across everyone or 2001 when Schumacher with a mysterious glitch caused a restart by parking his car on the start and finish straight

Back
Top Bottom