Grand Prix 2013 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After a drawn-out summer break, where the drivers & their WAGs will have turned themselves orange, Adrian Newey et al will have flouted the factory shutdown rule, and Fernando Alonso will have groomed his frankly excellent beard/moustache combo, Formula 1 returns to the majestic, wonderful, brilliant, exciting, thrilling, fantastic Spa-Francorchamps circuit in Belgium for the Belgian Grand Prix. The longest circuit on the calendar (7.004 km, if you're interested) is packed full of character, from the tight La Source at the beginning of the lap, the (unfortunately) flat-out Eau Rouge, the double-apexed Pouhon corner and the terrifying Blachimont, all set in the middle of the forest with its own micro-climate. There was doubt a couple of years ago about the race's place on the calendar, but thankfully these have been resolved and the Belgian GP is guaranteed a spot on the calendar until at least 2015. We should hope that the teams pressure Bernie into keeping the race on the calendar, as this is a circuit that always produces a good/controversial/exciting race.
More than any other race, the Belgian Grand Prix has been hugely affected by the weather (the circuit can even be wet at one end and dry at the other), most memorably during the chaotic 1998 race where Jordan got their first (and only) 1-2, or the last-lap deluge in 2008 which featured the memorable battle between Hamilton and Raikkonen, and that stewards decision (but please try and refrain from arguing about it - the horse has been well and truly flogged).
Set-up wise, Spa is traditionally a lower-downforce circuit, although Red Bull have used a higher-downforce approach to be fast in sector 2; this has paid dividends - Vettel won here in 2011. Of course, with such a temperamental climate, any whiff of rain on race day will make the race a lottery. With the Lotii, Mercs and Red Bulls seemingly looking fast, they are the cars who you would bet your Brogans (courtesy of cider_and_toast ), for the race and with the Fewwwawi's (courtesy of Jonathan Ross) going backwards. But anything can happen in Formula 1, and it usually does.

In terms of the championship, Vettel is winning, but with the consistent Lotus Raikkonen and the seemingly tyre-issue free Mercedes, we could be in for an exciting race & exciting end to the season (well, apart from in Korea & India ;))

Spa and Monza are the last two legs of the European season, before a series of flyaway races that make up the final leg of the 2013 season and, as we saw last year, every point counts!!!

So.... Ready, Steady, Discuss!!

Last edited:
weird Conker fact: put a conker in a room and a spider will not go in there!

Now there's something I didn't think I'd have read today!

As ever, I'm looking forward to Spa. Hopefully for the sake of the championship we can have a Hamilton-Alonso-Raikkonen podium (any order) although it looks as if the Ferrari is falling behind in development.

The order of Lewis, Alonso, Kimi and a Seb DNF, for the championship would leave it as:
1 Sebastian Vettel Ger Red Bull 172
2 Fernando Alonso Spa Ferrari 151 +21
3 Lewis Hamilton GB Mercedes 149 +23
4 Kimi Raikkonen Fin Lotus 149 +23

Lewis would be ahead of Kimi on countback but still Seb has quite a big lead!

Kewee Or pull away.

I can see the font runners maybe closing on each other but the rest of the field falling away.

I actually have a feeling that the gap between teams may increase after the summer break. Mclaren have said they are have switched focus to the 2014 car already. So they won't be closing up on anyone. I bet they aren't the only ones.

Then you have the Mercs and Redbulls fighting neck and neck. Surely we will start to see the front runners get even further ahead as they are still pushing.

I suppose the big question is when or IF Lotus and Ferrari will switch to the 2014 car design 100%. I certainly can't see Redbull or Mercedes giving up until the last race.

Which all makes the start of 2014 more interesting with some teams just having the 'B' design team working on 2014 and others like Mclaren with the 'A & B' team already designing the 2014 car.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the whole point of being an F1 fan is an extreme form of optimism and hope! It all seemed to be a little more immediate a few decades ago.

RasputinLives I want to know if someone sat in a room with a conker for his/her entire life with some sort of spider detector to prove that spider fact. And did they sleep at all:sleeping:

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the whole point of being an F1 fan is an extreme form of optimism and hope! It all seemed to be a little more immediate a few decades ago.
It was more immediate a few decades ago, the races were closer together!

Kewee

I suppose the big question is when or IF Lotus and Ferrari will switch to the 2014 car design 100%. I certainly can't see Redbull or Mercedes giving up until the last race.
Ferrari have a completely separate design team working full time on the 2014 car. Their other design team is totally focused on the current car.

Greenlantern101 McLaren moved to a single team a couple of years ago.

I would add, that the main issue with designing a new car whilst developing the current car is one of wind tunnel and CFD time, which the teams are strictly limited on through the RRA. A design team could create 1000 drawings per day, but if there is no CFD time left, they cannot be evaluated.

I wouldnt know, however, the amount of processing that the teams are allowed to do is limited, and therefore the amount of work that can be done using CFD/Wind tunnel is fixed, regardless of which car you are doing it for.

the amount of processing that the teams are allowed to do is limited, and therefore the amount of work that can be done using CFD

Adrian Newey's living room :whistle:

218652main_STOCC_FS_img_lg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom