Grand Prix 2013 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Finally F1 is back! After three months without racing, waiting for car launches and testing, the first race of the 2013 Formula One season at Melbourne is just around the corner.

A quick look on what has changed compared to last year:

Teams:
HRT are not on the grid anymore.

Drivers:
- Lewis Hamilton replaces Michael Schumacher at Mercedes.
- Sergio Perez replaces Lewis Hamilton at McLaren.
- Sauber start this season with a completely new line-up as Nico Hülkenberg and Esteban Gutierrez replace Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi.
- Adrian Sutil replaces Nico Hülkenberg at Force India.
- Valtteri Bottas is Williams’ new driver, replacing Bruno Senna.
- At Caterham Vitaly Petrov and Heikki Kovalainen are being replaced by Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde.
- Marussia bring on Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton in favor of Timo Glock and Charles Pic.

For the complete line-ups please check this brilliant overview from teabagyokel http://cliptheapex.com/threads/2013-driver-by-driver-preview.6011/

Circuits:
- The German Grand Prix is being held at the Nürburgring instead of Hockenheim.
- There won't be a race in Valencia this year, as the Spanish Grand Prix will alternate between Barcelona and Valencia from now on, starting with Barcelona.

Pre-season testing suggests that (as almost always) it is almost impossible to predict which teams will be at the very front of the grid. Red Bull look as strong as ever. Ferrari look significantly better than at this stage last year. McLaren seem to be struggling a bit. Mercedes appear to have made some progress over the last weeks and might be able to surprise us all. Lotus look like they could be fighting at the top this year as well.

In the midfield battle it seems that Williams and Sauber could have the upper hand over Toro Rosso and Force India, who have waited a very very long time to announce their second driver, Adrian Sutil.

Caterham and Marussia will probably be at the back end of the grid again. It seems very unlikely that any of them is going to be able to fight for points consistently. What is interesting though is, since HRT aren’t on the grid anymore, there will now be six drivers eliminated in Q1, which means, that apart from the Caterham and Marussia guys, there will now be two drivers of other teams out of qualifying after the first part of it.

How will Lewis Hamilton do for Mercedes? Is Mercedes’ completely new structured team going to improve? Is Sebastian Vettel going to pave his way for a fourth consecutive championship? How will Sergio Perez settle in at McLaren? Is Jenson Button going to win for the fourth time in Melbourne? Will Ferrari be able to win races from the outset?

Many questions! At least some of them will be answered in two weeks’ time at the 2013 Australian Grand Prix at Melbourne!
Let’s get it on!!

GermanF1.....It has nothing to do with my so called love of Ferrari. I've said it so many times, I'm a great fan of Massa but turning on a couple of quick laps during a race to best position himself for a pitstop is not one of his strengths. The timing chosen to give Alonso clear air also depended on having a reasonably clear track in front of him so he could have the best opportunity of jumping Vettel. He achieved their aims, Massa couldn't have. They needed to give one of their drivers the opportunity of clean air, Alonso was the one best positioned to make the strategy work.

He achieved their aims, Massa couldn't have. They needed to give one of their drivers the opportunity of clean air, Alonso was the one best positioned to make the strategy work.

Kewee, how do you work that out when Massa was ahead, faster in quali and faster in the race?

Yeah but... Massa also said that there wasn't team orders at Germany 2010. If the race teams were working completely independently of each other then fine, but as this is Ferrari, with a fair amount of history here and an expectation Alonso would finish ahead regardless of who was better on the day, I will remain cynical.

The timings of the pitstops I'm using are off the Official Formula One site. It's after midnight over here so I'm not going to carry on with an argument over whether Ferrari favored Alonso. You've all made abundantly clear you believe they did..
The only point that matters to me is Alonso wasn't gifted the pass on Vettel or Massa, it was won cleanly by two very quick laps in clean air assisted by the timing of his pitstops. As much as I like Massa if the positions had be reversed Massa would have rejoined the race still behind Vettel. :sleeping:

it was won cleanly by two very quick laps in clean air assisted by the timing of his pitstops. As much as I like Massa if the positions had be reversed Massa would have rejoined the race still behind Vettel. :sleeping:

Because the order switched and Alonso came in first thus getting free air. If the positions were reversed, given Massa was faster, he would have jumped Vettel and stayed ahead of Alonso.

But it was clear that Alonso would jump Massa after one lap only - so to leave him out so that Massa came out behind Sutil is surely a colossal act of stupidity?
Or - Ferrari were scared that they didn't want Massa to even have a chance of overtaking Alonso?

Massa absolutely obliterated Alonso in qualifying. He was a whole 3 milli-seconds faster!!!!

Alonso came in sooner than Massa would have wanted to, he took advantage of the free air and made the best use of it. He was also quicker than Massa as the race progressed. What more do you want?

I'm not sure what the confusion is here. Alonso is no.1 drive, Massa is no.2. Team orders are allowed so they will do anything to get their no.1 driver into the best position, even if it's the first race of the year. It was more controversial when team orders were banned but they still did it of course (as did other teams).

The confusion is that some don't want to see that team orders were executed today...Obviously they are allowed and I don't think they shouldn't be.

Ferrari pre-race driver briefing...

Rob Smedley: So Felipe, if you are still in front of Fernando before the final pit stops, you will be asked if you want to come in for tyres. Your answer will be "No, I want to stay out".

Felipe Massa: But it's the first race of the season so if I'm in front I should have first choice. Maybe I can beat Fernando.

Rob Smedley: Look Felipe, we've been over this for the last few seasons. You know what your role is.

Felipe Massa: It's not fair!

Fernando Alonso: Suck it up bitch!

Andrea_Moda_Rules......I think Massa will be just fine. He's one of my favorite drivers but his form was in free fall long before Germany 2010 which is what led to the team orders. By the time they reached Germany Massa had 67 points, Alonso had 98. Massa has always needed a well sorted car to give his best. He has that now so I'm sure he'll be very happy and give his best at every GP. He knows his teammate is not only a class act but also ruthless, but he's also been with him long enough now for them to work together for the team.

Ehm no.

He had 3 races in a row prior to Germany where he didn't score at all. One where Alonso collided into him in Silverstone, which gave him a first lap puncture, effectively ruining his race. Valencia he had to queue behind Alonso which cost him lots of time, then the safety car fiasco. In Canada Liuzzi decided to play dodgems with him, then on the road to recovery got his front wing knocked off by the Maestro (Schumacher).

Yeah but Massa 2nd and Alonso 4th would have been better for Massa and could have easily been done. I don't think Massa put a foot wrong today.

We could be on for another 2009 scenario at McLaren it seems
With one key ingredient missing...

Anyway, that was a great way to start the season. Usually Australia's great because of all the madness, crashes and chaos. Think 2008 when you could score just by finishing. This was the clean kind of great race, plus everyone's happy when Raikkonen wins. Although The Iceman himself never looks too pleased.

Don't see why anyone's surprised by Sutil's form, he was that good in 2011 and it's a gosh darn shame the tyres went off on him. I guess it's also kind of a shame he glassed someone but yeeaaahhh......

Back
Top Bottom