Grand Prix 2012 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Doesn't time fly! The summer break is approaching the end and after an astonishing Olympics which gripped a nation, the attention now turns across the Channel to see if another Brit can continue his push for glory. Victory in Hungary saw Lewis Hamilton reignite his stuttering season and closed (however small) the gap to Alonso to just over 40 points. The update package introduced in Germany have thrown McLaren back to the front again and just in time as any longer and Hamilton would have been out of the title battle just like his team-mate has been after a nightmare summer for Button. Hamilton has generally gone well at Spa with 1 win, a third place and a fourth. Although depending on your viewpoint it should be 2 wins and a fourth after the 2008 mess.

Although the true king of Spa has returned to the throne in the Lotus and with wins in 2004,2005,2007 and 2009 (close to winning in 2008 as well) not many would bet against the Iceman taking his first victory of the season at his favourite track. The Lotus has been in good form in recent races and a second and third in Hungary proved that where they pushed Hamilton from lights to flag but couldn't quite get past the McLaren driver.

Belgium is famous for it's 4 seasons in a hour in all different parts of the track weather and no doubt if rain is about that plays into the hands of the Championship leader Alonso as the Ferrari is the quickest car in the wet but possibly only the 4th quickest car in the dry, that was evident at Hungary anyway, whether that translates to Spa it is unknown, however Ferrari have traditionally been quick at Spa having won more times there (16) than anyone else so they/Alonso will be in the mix on race day, well let's face it, Massa won't be.

The big unknown here is Red Bull, having had to make several changes to their car to stop make sure it is legal and it has affected performance in recent races and they weren't in the hunt in Hungary. Indeed, Double World Champion Sebastian Vettel is on the longest winless streak since he joined Red Bull in 2009 having not won since Bahrain in April and the young German is currently a few points behind Mark Webber who has had somewhat of a resurgance this year having won at Monaco and Silverstone to become the leading chase driver in the Championship behind Alonso. No doubt Red Bull will be keen to avoid the infighting that nearly cost them the 2010 Championship and to ensure that they don't fall foul of any more FIA regulations as any more problems could see them slip behind Hamilton and possibly even Raikkonen.

Raikkonen is viewed by many as the dark horse for the Championship. He's only a few points behind Hamilton despite having yet to win a race this season which is a testament to his consistency, something which so nearly got him the 2003 title despite only winning one race all year (Malaysia). He's closed down bigger gaps in the past (2007) so he could play a major part in the Championship and if he doesn't ultimately end up in the mix at the end of the season, he'll certainly play a part in terms of taking points off other drivers as he will want to be in contention for podiums and wins as the first win has eluded him so far. He's certainly having a very successful comeback so far and has shown that the 2 years he's had out hasn't affected him whatsoever.

For Galahad 's circuit write up - http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-spa-francorchamps/

We fast forward 50 years to 2062 where and elderly Charles Pic sits his 2 Grandkids on his knee and opens a strange item he loving refers to as a 'scrap book'.

"now Kids" He says "Did I ever tell you about the time I was 9 tennths of a second faster than Fernando Alonso's Ferrari round Spa?"

The Grand kids take a look at the picture and the first one says

"Don't those cars look funny with wheels on"

Methinks this is the best tool for the job.

Attachments

• rchovercraft.jpg
    rchovercraft.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 90
As expected, the lack of running has meant the teams haven't been able to evaluate their upgrades and as a result, Lotus won't be using the DDRS system.

Webber has been handed a five place grid drop penalty due to a gearbox change.

That's twice in three races now.

Another stroke of luck for Alonso considering he is the closest challenger.

Another stroke of luck for Alonso considering he is the closest challenger.

---------------------------------

It's equally lucky for Vettel, Hamilton and Raikkonen, who now have a better chance of reducing the gap to Alonso. In fact I think both Vettel and Hamilton have a better chance of catching him than Webber does. Their task on Sunday will now be made easier.

All being equal, I think Hamilton and Vettel would fancy their chances of beating Webber though, so they'd like to have him in the way of Alonso.

McLaren never seem able to maximize the opportunities of both drivers. I'm really happy for JB on pole, but can't help feeling very frustrated about the situation with Lewis as they would have likely had a front row lockout.

I think Hamilton will be lucky to get a point tomorrow as I can see him getting overtaken by a lot of people on the straights.

It seemed to me that they'd both used the new wing, thought it best to move one of them back to the old (Hamilton) and Button made the new one work better than Hamilton the old one. If McLaren made the decision that directed each driver to run those wings then McLaren are to blame, I reckon the drivers will have had some input into the choice, though so I reckon "the situation with Lewis" is the responsibility of Lewis and his side of the garage. Even so, if he'd stuck with the new wing he may have qualified mid-grid.

Back
Top Bottom