Grand Prix 2012 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Doesn't time fly! The summer break is approaching the end and after an astonishing Olympics which gripped a nation, the attention now turns across the Channel to see if another Brit can continue his push for glory. Victory in Hungary saw Lewis Hamilton reignite his stuttering season and closed (however small) the gap to Alonso to just over 40 points. The update package introduced in Germany have thrown McLaren back to the front again and just in time as any longer and Hamilton would have been out of the title battle just like his team-mate has been after a nightmare summer for Button. Hamilton has generally gone well at Spa with 1 win, a third place and a fourth. Although depending on your viewpoint it should be 2 wins and a fourth after the 2008 mess.

Although the true king of Spa has returned to the throne in the Lotus and with wins in 2004,2005,2007 and 2009 (close to winning in 2008 as well) not many would bet against the Iceman taking his first victory of the season at his favourite track. The Lotus has been in good form in recent races and a second and third in Hungary proved that where they pushed Hamilton from lights to flag but couldn't quite get past the McLaren driver.

Belgium is famous for it's 4 seasons in a hour in all different parts of the track weather and no doubt if rain is about that plays into the hands of the Championship leader Alonso as the Ferrari is the quickest car in the wet but possibly only the 4th quickest car in the dry, that was evident at Hungary anyway, whether that translates to Spa it is unknown, however Ferrari have traditionally been quick at Spa having won more times there (16) than anyone else so they/Alonso will be in the mix on race day, well let's face it, Massa won't be.

The big unknown here is Red Bull, having had to make several changes to their car to stop make sure it is legal and it has affected performance in recent races and they weren't in the hunt in Hungary. Indeed, Double World Champion Sebastian Vettel is on the longest winless streak since he joined Red Bull in 2009 having not won since Bahrain in April and the young German is currently a few points behind Mark Webber who has had somewhat of a resurgance this year having won at Monaco and Silverstone to become the leading chase driver in the Championship behind Alonso. No doubt Red Bull will be keen to avoid the infighting that nearly cost them the 2010 Championship and to ensure that they don't fall foul of any more FIA regulations as any more problems could see them slip behind Hamilton and possibly even Raikkonen.

Raikkonen is viewed by many as the dark horse for the Championship. He's only a few points behind Hamilton despite having yet to win a race this season which is a testament to his consistency, something which so nearly got him the 2003 title despite only winning one race all year (Malaysia). He's closed down bigger gaps in the past (2007) so he could play a major part in the Championship and if he doesn't ultimately end up in the mix at the end of the season, he'll certainly play a part in terms of taking points off other drivers as he will want to be in contention for podiums and wins as the first win has eluded him so far. He's certainly having a very successful comeback so far and has shown that the 2 years he's had out hasn't affected him whatsoever.

For Galahad 's circuit write up - http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-spa-francorchamps/

Kimi up to his old tricks again ;)

The Stewards, having received a report from the Race Director, and having heard from the driver and
team representative and examined the telemetry evidence, have considered the following matter and
determine the following

No/Driver 9 Kimi Raikkonen
Competitor Lotus F1 Team
Time 14:52
Session Qualifying
Fact Car 9 left the track
Alleged Breach of Article 2(c) of Chapter IV of Appendix L of the FIA International Sporting Code.
Decision
No further action.
Reason
Although Car 9 left the track at Turns 3 and 4 (not only on this lap but also on another lap in Q3) a
detailed examination of telemetry and sector times clearly indicate there was no advantage gained
because the exit speed was shown to be slower than on other laps where the car did not leave the track.
http://184.106.145.74/fia-f1/f1-2012/f1-2012-12/Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix 2012 DocumentNumber-33.pdf

I guess you could say that the rain has been Alonso and Ferrari's friend yet again, they certainly seem to be the most versatile. If Friday had been dry I suspect the grid would look very different, certainly a McLaren 1-2 if Button's pace is anything to go by and Vettel not being in Q3 is almost unheard of.

Even though I still feel amazingly ****ed off at the fact that Hamilton didn't have what was clearly the optimum setup for a McLaren today, I have to report that I am amazingly impressed by Jenson Button. Even more so after looking at the stats and realising that he did 3 laps, 1 during Q2 and 2 during Q3 that were all enough for pole. All of these 3 laps were within a tenth, which suggests he really was maxing out the car and at the longest circuit of the year? Seriously JB is just a crazy guy - I know people (me included) look back at 2009 and call it down to luck and the car, but really, when the guy gets the setup right he is unstoppable. It's a shame he cannot manage it more often otherwise we'd have an even more fascinating F1 right now.

One for sure has to say that McLaren, if they sort their tyre deg out, look in a good position for both championships. They had a wobble but they've now been the fastest on out right pace for the last 3 races (yes Germany was a certain pole in the dry). Come on McLaren! :D

Even though he's only 5th, Alonso still has to be extremely happy starting ahead of Vettel, Hamilton and Webber so far back..And this may sound harsh, but with only Perez and Kobayshi ahead of him, I think a podium is almost guaranteed and with some great strategy and pit stops (which Ferrari has excelled in) a win a very possible..

When was Ferrari's great strategy? I must have missed it. Being on tyres for too long and losing several places during the last few laps does not count as great strategy.

But their pit stops have been consistently good.

How about Ferrari calling Alonso in for fresh wet tyres in Germany that gave him the pole, along with the fact that Webber slowed Vettel on a fast lap that would have put him on pole but instead messed up the end of his lap.

Jenson's consistency in qualifying was quite simply stunning, and it looked so easy for him, I am at a loss as to why he doesn't produce that kind of performance on a more regular basis he is an enigma...

When was Ferrari's great strategy? I must have missed it. Being on tyres for too long and losing several places during the last few laps does not count as great strategy.

But their pit stops have been consistently good.

With a 40 point lead in the championship in this crazy season, they have had A LOT more positives in strategy than negatives

Apparently 23 non-Hamilton drivers also took part in qualifying yesterday. You wouldn't know based on this thread. Hamilton's qualifying was far from disastrous: he finished within 1 tenth of Alonso and Webber, and will start with 2 championship rivals behind him and 3 (if you count Button) in front.

I was more interested by Sauber's pace, Mercedes' lack of pace, Vettel's early exit and Button's dominance.

Many have referred to Ferrari and Alonso having their share of luck this season. From where I'm sitting Alonso's results have had far more to do with a driver on top of his game. If he manages a good result at Spa it will have nothing to do with luck. Two things could play very much into his hands. Will Jenson's McLaren be as well balanced and quick fully fueled, and Ferrari's choice to go with a low downforce setup. The main overtaking opportunities are in sector one with the DRS zone, and late in the lap in sector three, the two sectors where their low downforce setup will hand them a very real advantage. It will be interesting to see how many of the three cars, including Raikkonen, between Alonso and Button become sitting ducks for Fernando in the DRS zone. Jenson better hope his car retains its balance when it's fully fueled or Alonso could be all over him before the first pit stops.

Red Bull have apparently asked all teams to make at least three pit stops mandatory after they (Red Bull) noticed high tyre wear.

Hamberg......Hi Hamberg. I'll respond with a couple of answers, one is in response to a comment you made a week or so ago relating to who provides leadership at Ferrari. You said it was Montezomolo. Yes he is the President of Ferrari and obviously provides inspirational team talks but like all good leaders he delegates and left no doubt about Alonso's role at Ferrari. Teams need inspirational figures who provide inspiration with results, often beyond expectations. That was why they employed Alonso. Montezomolo has interests far beyond the F1 team so his time is very much divided.
Regarding Ferrari's privileged position, like so many things it comes down to money and their value to the sport. Their dedication to F1 has been total and as such they have built an immense fan base globally. If they were to withdraw from the sport the financial impact on F1 would be devastating. We should all remember F1 is a business as well as a sport and each team should be viewed as a business also. As in any business, a company should be paid what it's worth and to F1, Ferrari is worth more than any other team on the grid based simply on their global following. Just to remove any suspicion of bias I'm a McLaren loving Kiwi.

Schumacher's terrible luck continues - the KERS controller has failed and needs to be replaced.
It would normally take 60-90 minutes to do that and the engineers have just 20 minutes left to do it in.

Back
Top Bottom