Grand Prix 2011 Turkish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Yes, its a tad early, but I'm not sure about being online tommorow and i'll do it now just to be safe. Well anyway, after a 3 week break, F1 roars back to life at the Tilke designed Instanbul Park circuit with the first European race of the season . F1 has been extremely unpredictable so far (apart from the pace of Vettel) and there seems no reason for this to change in Turkey barring the competitiveness, or lack of, this weekend.

Last years race is remembered for close action and fighting at the front, namely two incidents; The now famous crash between Vettel and Webber and Hamilton and Button arguing on track about who's going to win the race.

While we expect Red Bull and McLaren to pick up from where they left off in China with strong qualifying and race pace, it remains to be seen whether Ferrari can fulfill their pre season promise and finally get back to the front after 3 (or in Massa's case 2) lacklustre races. And what about Mercedes and Renault? Both teams will be aiming at the podium after strong drives this season with Heidfeld and Petrov getting 3rd places and Rosberg leading a sizeable portion in China before finishing a strong fifth behind the Red Bulls and McLarens. Williams appear to be going backwards and are now on a level with Team Lotus for pace and they will need a strong performance to banish doubts, and falling share prices. The midfield has also become increasingly conjested with Sauber, Force India and Torro Rosso fighting over the small points with the likes of Di Resta and Perez making positive early impressions with Sutil and the evergreen Barichello struggling.

At the back HRT and Virgin continue to squabble at the back with HRT finally getting their act together and posing a real problem for Virgin who have recently employed Pat Symonds to evaluate the outfit and suggest ways of improvement due to no increase in pace of their 2011 challenger and they could end up slipping behind the improving Hispania team.

Turkey has become famous for its high speed turn 8 which will no doubt help the likes of Red Bull with their *ahem* flexi-wings and it would be a foolish man to bet against a Red Bull Vettel taking pole on Saturday, but as Murray Walker said, anything can happen and it usally does, particulary with rain being forecast for the latter part of the week, we might be seeing the intermediate tyres being used for the first time this season. Tyres will again be the watch word though whatever the weather, along with marbles.

With the Turkish Grand Prix currently under threat due to rising prices and low attendance figures, this year could be the last time we see F1 cars grace the sweeping track and one of Tilkes' better tracks and if the last 3 grand prix are anything to go by, we should be in for a cracker this weekend.

For Galahad's superb circuit write up see http://cliptheapex.com/pages/istanbul-park/

From the point of view of Formula 1, things are definitely getting tighter, although it is coming from all angles instead of just Mclaren.

I have to say, i think it is a bit bizarre doing two runs in Q3. If you do a good time in the first run, it seems unlikely there will be a big improvement. Did Mclaren go out on used soft tyres? This would make sense because you could then get a banker and then follow it up on a fresh set.

Oh dear, Fernando's ambition is only for the podium. Says a lot about where Ferrari are in comparison to Red Bull, McLaren and Mercedes.

Yeah. Grid position isn't nearly as important now. The only worry is Mclaren will need to be quicker than Red Bull in the race or off the line. If not, Red Bull could run away with a 1-2. Oh what i'd give for a Vettel-Webber collision. :p

I have to say, i think it is a bit bizarre doing two runs in Q3. If you do a good time in the first run, it seems unlikely there will be a big improvement. Did Mclaren go out on used soft tyres? This would make sense because you could then get a banker and then follow it up on a fresh set.
I agree, and I hope Mclaren did what you asked; I was really hoping that Lewis would stay in the garage and was more than a little disappointed to see him go out again, with what turned out to be a wasted set of softs.

Well both McLaren's are on the dirty side so don't be surprised if one or both of them are passed at the start.

Yeah, they were both speaking of that in the interviews. It's a wait and see type thing these days. Come on Hamilton!

I think you are talking about a different grand prix to Chad. Lewis won by over a minute i believe in that race. One of his best drives ever. Raikkonen was nowhere to be seen by the end. Chandhok couldn't have won it if he was in the race, but he had as much chance as anyone else. Just been watching the highlights. what a great race. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8102073.stm

Classifications:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_British_Grand_Prix#Race_2

Watch the first stint....after that when the strategy goes wrong there was nothing he could do...he brought it back in the last stint...I think I know which race I am talking about.

The guys on the worn intermediates, Alonso, Raikkonen, Massa and Webber lost 3-5s per lap, and the team left them out for 5-10 laps due to the weather being uncertain...hence the big gap and "nowhere to be seen by the end"

Anyway great performance by Vettel and Rosberg....Vettel without the new exhaust update after he destroyed it in practice and with little running still bet Webber comprehensively.

Mercedes look good too, Schumacher disappointing though, looked good in practice, Massa in Q3 had faster sector times of sector 1 and 2 in his only run which he didn't complete...which I found strange....anyone know the reason to that?

McLaren seem to have slipped back a bit, Alonso loving that 5th starting position.....Renault don't seem to be as good as they were in the first 2 races either.

Well both McLaren's are on the dirty side so don't be surprised if one or both of them are passed at the start.

And Button has Renault's 1 and 3 places behind him on the clean side of grid. could they have another super start as they did in Malaysia?

Did we get "The Finger" at any point after Vettel's pole lap? If we didn't I'm going to be very disappointed.

The QWC looks like this now:

CTA.jpg

Maximum points for SV.

Qualifying this year: Car 1 P1, Car 5 P5!

D'Ambrosio out-qualifying Glock again, if you take away the 5-place penalty. I'm keeping an eye on this one.

I was disappointed Kobayashi didn't even have a chance to get going, hopefully that is a minor change and won't cost them any new engines. On the plus side, I enjoyed his little chat with Jake Humphrey and Eddie Jordan, and he'll have a chance to pull a Mark Webber if he gets it right. Plenty of fresh tyres.

Vettel again outstanding, Rosberg the next best in my eyes, Petrov again showing his talent.

I am surprised how much Sauber and Toro Rosso have slipped back the past two races...both looked very strong in Australia good in Malaysia...China can't really remember but they weren't as good...

However I think they both have their major upgrades for Barcelona?

Watch the first stint....after that when the strategy goes wrong there was nothing he could do...he brought it back in the last stint...I think I know which race I am talking about.

The guys on the worn intermediates, Alonso, Raikkonen, Massa and Webber lost 3-5s per lap, and the team left them out for 5-10 laps due to the weather being uncertain...hence the big gap and "nowhere to be seen by the end"

Hmm...i'm still not convinced at all. Hamilton was so fast and in control in his second and third stint once the rain started coming down. It would be impossible to know if Raikkonen could have matched that simply because he was catching him between lap 10 and 21 whilst it was drying. There are so many factors to take into account between lap 21 and the end of the race, especially considering it started raining again. I think the main reason Hamilton was so good during this time was the amount of rain coming down. The reason i class that as one of the Lewis' best races ever is because there are very few drivers who could drive that well in those conditions. Lewis is a rain master. :)

Interestingly Hamilton's best sector times were faster than Webber's in all 3 sectors. He was also faster than Rosberg in 2 of the 3 and putting his best combined sector times together, he'd be 2nd on the grid:-

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/tur-qualifying-sectors.pdf

The art of qualifying though is piecing together your best lap at the right time. He didn't quite manage it today, but was certainly capable of getting second. I was a bit disappointed he didn't to be honest. He looked like he might do it after sector 1 and 2 of his final run.

Back
Top Bottom