Grand Prix 2011 Turkish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Yes, its a tad early, but I'm not sure about being online tommorow and i'll do it now just to be safe. Well anyway, after a 3 week break, F1 roars back to life at the Tilke designed Instanbul Park circuit with the first European race of the season . F1 has been extremely unpredictable so far (apart from the pace of Vettel) and there seems no reason for this to change in Turkey barring the competitiveness, or lack of, this weekend.

Last years race is remembered for close action and fighting at the front, namely two incidents; The now famous crash between Vettel and Webber and Hamilton and Button arguing on track about who's going to win the race.

While we expect Red Bull and McLaren to pick up from where they left off in China with strong qualifying and race pace, it remains to be seen whether Ferrari can fulfill their pre season promise and finally get back to the front after 3 (or in Massa's case 2) lacklustre races. And what about Mercedes and Renault? Both teams will be aiming at the podium after strong drives this season with Heidfeld and Petrov getting 3rd places and Rosberg leading a sizeable portion in China before finishing a strong fifth behind the Red Bulls and McLarens. Williams appear to be going backwards and are now on a level with Team Lotus for pace and they will need a strong performance to banish doubts, and falling share prices. The midfield has also become increasingly conjested with Sauber, Force India and Torro Rosso fighting over the small points with the likes of Di Resta and Perez making positive early impressions with Sutil and the evergreen Barichello struggling.

At the back HRT and Virgin continue to squabble at the back with HRT finally getting their act together and posing a real problem for Virgin who have recently employed Pat Symonds to evaluate the outfit and suggest ways of improvement due to no increase in pace of their 2011 challenger and they could end up slipping behind the improving Hispania team.

Turkey has become famous for its high speed turn 8 which will no doubt help the likes of Red Bull with their *ahem* flexi-wings and it would be a foolish man to bet against a Red Bull Vettel taking pole on Saturday, but as Murray Walker said, anything can happen and it usally does, particulary with rain being forecast for the latter part of the week, we might be seeing the intermediate tyres being used for the first time this season. Tyres will again be the watch word though whatever the weather, along with marbles.

With the Turkish Grand Prix currently under threat due to rising prices and low attendance figures, this year could be the last time we see F1 cars grace the sweeping track and one of Tilkes' better tracks and if the last 3 grand prix are anything to go by, we should be in for a cracker this weekend.

For Galahad's superb circuit write up see http://cliptheapex.com/pages/istanbul-park/

The whole object of FP1 and 2 is to find the maximum limits.
Sometimes a driver will exceed those limits resulting in a spin or an off.That is no reason to for shame
http://plus.autosport.com/premium/feature/3489/why-red-bull-will-still-have-the-edge-in-turkey/ "I'll give it another try next lap," said Sebastian Vettel over the radio, having just gone off on standing water through Turn 11 part-way through first practice. Running on intermediates on a track that was becoming wetter once more, having earlier dried from full-wet levels, he was pushing hard.

I remember a few years ago a previous employer of mine organised a corporate karting day as an office Christmas outing. One guy continually span out and crashed into the barriers during his practice runs, much to the merriment of everyone else. But he set the fastest lap of anyone, by a mile, during the races proper and won his heats easily.
He got black flagged in the semi-final though, for over-aggressive driving and causing a collision. LOL
At the evening dinner after the event, he was presented with the steering wheel from his kart as a memento.

The whole object of FP1 and 2 is to find the maximum limits.

I think Massa is one of the drivers who most tries to find the limits. I constantly criticise him for going wide multiple times in pretty much every free practice, but then again he never really spins. Maybe going wide in practice isn't a sign of a bad driver, but a sign of an aggressive one.

Massa never spins.I don't think that you will find many who agree with that.
I think you need to find a video of the 2008 British GP

Ah such a fun race. The prancing pirouetting horse.

Can we safely say Vettel did a Petrov?

Given that we dont see each driver spin at some point in practice at each corner, it must not be necessary to find the limits, I'm guessing when they are this experienced they don't need to over step the boundary so much/at all? To me it seems likely that they push the limit, and then when it is that little bit more this is when we see the spins.

Not sure if I'll be around for qualy tomorrow which is a great shame as it looks like it should be good. I hope that a few teams can mix it up with RBR at the front, and would love to see Renault and Mercedes (and Massa) building on today's showing.

I said he never "really" spins. :p Back in 2008, i use to say Massa was better at parking his vehicle than driving it because he spent so much time standing still off the track.

His car was rubbish in the wet...not his fault it was allergic to wet conditions...Raikkonen who could have won that race if Ferrari didnt have a strategic blunder also spun twice due to both of them being on worn intermediates unlike the rest....I watched the race recently....they seemed to spin when they were in a straight line which was odd....

His car was rubbish in the wet...not his fault it was allergic to wet conditions...Raikkonen who could have won that race if Ferrari didnt have a strategic blunder

Ahhh, the magic word of 'if'. 'If' is a wonderful word. While he could have won the race, there were too many variables to have an idea, just look at Barrichello in the Honda.

Ahhh, the magic word of 'if'. 'If' is a wonderful word. While he could have won the race, there were too many variables to have an idea, just look at Barrichello in the Honda.

The fact was Raikkonen was hauling Hamilton in very quickly in the first stint...then Ferrari like Alonso and Webber stuck to worn intermediates, while the rest went on fresh...that is what i judge it on....

Different from randomly saying Chandhok could have won the race if he was in an F1 car or something....

...Raikkonen who could have won that race if Ferrari didnt have a strategic blunder...I watched the race recently...
Yes, and if Hamilton hadn't been so damn quick that he lapped everyone up to and including Kimi, with only Heidfeld and Barrichello finishing on the same lap (Rubens only just, and even second place man Heidfeld more than a minute behind). If only, eh?

His car was rubbish in the wet...not his fault it was allergic to wet conditions...Raikkonen who could have won that race if Ferrari didnt have a strategic blunder also spun twice due to both of them being on worn intermediates unlike the rest....I watched the race recently....they seemed to spin when they were in a straight line which was odd....

I think you are talking about a different grand prix to Chad. Lewis won by over a minute i believe in that race. One of his best drives ever. Raikkonen was nowhere to be seen by the end. Chandhok couldn't have won it if he was in the race, but he had as much chance as anyone else. Just been watching the highlights. what a great race. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8102073.stm

Classifications:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_British_Grand_Prix#Race_2

The fact was Raikkonen was hauling Hamilton in very quickly in the first stint...then Ferrari like Alonso and Webber stuck to worn intermediates, while the rest went on fresh...that is what i judge it on....

Yeah but for all we know Hamilton would have outpaced Raikkonnen on fresh rubber, just like in the first few laps of the race.

Anyway, to steer this thread back on topic, Practice 3 is on in an hour, that's usually the first real pointer for team pace.

Good morning all. Let's see if we can get an Englishman on poll. Hopefully the lack of running might throw a certain german. :)

It's going to be interesting to see if teams overreact to Lewis' win due to tyre strategy. I think 1 run in Q3 is the way to go, but taking too many risks in Q1 and Q2 is naive. Could we see another shock Q1/2 exit?

That bump looks so nasty it almost looks as though it could have the potential to mess up a car's electronics as they absorb huge compression loads when the car rides over them.
We've seen this before, cars riding over particularly nasty kerbs and the brainbox suddenly starts feeding inaccurate information to the engine.

Back
Top Bottom