Grand Prix 2011 Turkish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Yes, its a tad early, but I'm not sure about being online tommorow and i'll do it now just to be safe. Well anyway, after a 3 week break, F1 roars back to life at the Tilke designed Instanbul Park circuit with the first European race of the season . F1 has been extremely unpredictable so far (apart from the pace of Vettel) and there seems no reason for this to change in Turkey barring the competitiveness, or lack of, this weekend.

Last years race is remembered for close action and fighting at the front, namely two incidents; The now famous crash between Vettel and Webber and Hamilton and Button arguing on track about who's going to win the race.

While we expect Red Bull and McLaren to pick up from where they left off in China with strong qualifying and race pace, it remains to be seen whether Ferrari can fulfill their pre season promise and finally get back to the front after 3 (or in Massa's case 2) lacklustre races. And what about Mercedes and Renault? Both teams will be aiming at the podium after strong drives this season with Heidfeld and Petrov getting 3rd places and Rosberg leading a sizeable portion in China before finishing a strong fifth behind the Red Bulls and McLarens. Williams appear to be going backwards and are now on a level with Team Lotus for pace and they will need a strong performance to banish doubts, and falling share prices. The midfield has also become increasingly conjested with Sauber, Force India and Torro Rosso fighting over the small points with the likes of Di Resta and Perez making positive early impressions with Sutil and the evergreen Barichello struggling.

At the back HRT and Virgin continue to squabble at the back with HRT finally getting their act together and posing a real problem for Virgin who have recently employed Pat Symonds to evaluate the outfit and suggest ways of improvement due to no increase in pace of their 2011 challenger and they could end up slipping behind the improving Hispania team.

Turkey has become famous for its high speed turn 8 which will no doubt help the likes of Red Bull with their *ahem* flexi-wings and it would be a foolish man to bet against a Red Bull Vettel taking pole on Saturday, but as Murray Walker said, anything can happen and it usally does, particulary with rain being forecast for the latter part of the week, we might be seeing the intermediate tyres being used for the first time this season. Tyres will again be the watch word though whatever the weather, along with marbles.

With the Turkish Grand Prix currently under threat due to rising prices and low attendance figures, this year could be the last time we see F1 cars grace the sweeping track and one of Tilkes' better tracks and if the last 3 grand prix are anything to go by, we should be in for a cracker this weekend.

For Galahad's superb circuit write up see http://cliptheapex.com/pages/istanbul-park/

I keep thinking the drivers might finish the weekend a couple of inches shorter.

That could be a problem for Mssrs Vettel & Hamilton who aren't that vertically gifted to start with.

Yet again in FP3 The Red Bull looks imperious and again they were having KERS "issues" - and yet more hydraulic woes for the Scuderia - Mercedes showing genuine pace, could be interesting.

I can't really see anyone but Vettel on pole.
The Red Bull just has too much on the other cars and Vettel is as good a one lap qualifier as anyone.

Oh what I'd give to see him and Hamilton in the same team right now :D

That could be a problem for Mssrs Vettel & Hamilton who aren't that vertically gifted to start with.

---------------------------------------------

What about poor old Felipe? There'll be nothing left of him by the end of the week-end...

Oh what I'd give to see him and Hamilton in the same team right now :D

So Hamilton could kick his arse right. :p I reckon Webber might shock us all today. Reckon Mercedes could challenge Mclaren as well. My top 5: Webber, Vettel, Hamilton, Rosberg, Button. Mark my words. :p

FP3 was okay but the beeb changing the red button channel when I was trying to watch the replays of FP1 and 2 yesterday evening. I've got a Virgin cable top box so get more choice than those with Freeview. Smowy tells me he's been subjected to the royal wedding all week. Ouch.

To be honest you could make a case for any three from ten for the podium. I'm still not looking too far past Red Bull and Mclaren though, but let's see how qualifying goes first.

So it seems Seb V damaged the new exhaust system yesterday when he had his off.

It was the only version of it too, so the favouritism is alive and well in Red Bull.

It seems like Red Bull might be at the performance limits of their car, if they try to push harder to fend off Mclaren or even Mercedes we might see mire and more reliability issues and strategic mistakes

Kers for example, they are still having cooling problems and using it intermittently at race 4? Is the Newey design maxed out in terms of evolution?

Just my opinion

Brogan

Yes it's funny that Webbers car was working well when he started 18th

Apart from that it just seems to have different parts to Sebs

Or has Seb become half a second quicker than Webber over the closed season?

Wow. This looks like the tightest it has been for 2 years. I can see anyone from Red Bull, Mclaren, Mercedes and Renault stealing ole. Especially if it is a 1 lap shootout.

Well it would seem that Mercedes are back and Ferrari have sorted most of their problems.

Nico Rosberg third on the grid :o

This is great news for Red Bull - the more teams and drivers there are squabbling over 3rd place down, the better it is for them.

Argg...Vettel is too good over 1 lap at the moment. He will keep getting pole until Mclaren build a faster car than Red Bull. 4th for Hami isn't great, but hopefully he and Mclaren can pull something out of the bag. Well done Nico.

Massa doesn't do a run in Q3

Strategic masterpiece?

Fresher tyres than his teammate, what tyres will he start on though? The ones he set the fastest Q2 lap on or does he have a choice, I would think he has a choice

Could be a good day for Massa

I think he realised he was going to be 10th anyway. Probably smart thinking to save the tyres.

It shows the dominance of the Red Bull car when both drivers are out of it before the end of the session.

Last year it was basically the later you went out, the better your time, but this year the Red Bull is so much faster it makes no difference.

Back
Top Bottom