Grand Prix 2011 Turkish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Yes, its a tad early, but I'm not sure about being online tommorow and i'll do it now just to be safe. Well anyway, after a 3 week break, F1 roars back to life at the Tilke designed Instanbul Park circuit with the first European race of the season . F1 has been extremely unpredictable so far (apart from the pace of Vettel) and there seems no reason for this to change in Turkey barring the competitiveness, or lack of, this weekend.

Last years race is remembered for close action and fighting at the front, namely two incidents; The now famous crash between Vettel and Webber and Hamilton and Button arguing on track about who's going to win the race.

While we expect Red Bull and McLaren to pick up from where they left off in China with strong qualifying and race pace, it remains to be seen whether Ferrari can fulfill their pre season promise and finally get back to the front after 3 (or in Massa's case 2) lacklustre races. And what about Mercedes and Renault? Both teams will be aiming at the podium after strong drives this season with Heidfeld and Petrov getting 3rd places and Rosberg leading a sizeable portion in China before finishing a strong fifth behind the Red Bulls and McLarens. Williams appear to be going backwards and are now on a level with Team Lotus for pace and they will need a strong performance to banish doubts, and falling share prices. The midfield has also become increasingly conjested with Sauber, Force India and Torro Rosso fighting over the small points with the likes of Di Resta and Perez making positive early impressions with Sutil and the evergreen Barichello struggling.

At the back HRT and Virgin continue to squabble at the back with HRT finally getting their act together and posing a real problem for Virgin who have recently employed Pat Symonds to evaluate the outfit and suggest ways of improvement due to no increase in pace of their 2011 challenger and they could end up slipping behind the improving Hispania team.

Turkey has become famous for its high speed turn 8 which will no doubt help the likes of Red Bull with their *ahem* flexi-wings and it would be a foolish man to bet against a Red Bull Vettel taking pole on Saturday, but as Murray Walker said, anything can happen and it usally does, particulary with rain being forecast for the latter part of the week, we might be seeing the intermediate tyres being used for the first time this season. Tyres will again be the watch word though whatever the weather, along with marbles.

With the Turkish Grand Prix currently under threat due to rising prices and low attendance figures, this year could be the last time we see F1 cars grace the sweeping track and one of Tilkes' better tracks and if the last 3 grand prix are anything to go by, we should be in for a cracker this weekend.

For Galahad's superb circuit write up see http://cliptheapex.com/pages/istanbul-park/

Oh dear!

Seb V has had a big off and trashed his car.
Got onto the kerbs and then just spun around into the barrier.

The session is red flagged.

Hehe.

Daniel Ricciardo might feel he's wasting his time in these conditions.

On the other hand, it could be an opportunity to show everyone what they're missing...?

It looks like McLaren (amongst others) aren't going to bother going out at all.
Presumably they think it's going to be dry on Sunday and therefore doing wet weather running is a waste of time?

Edit: Button and Hamilton leave the pits with less than 30 seconds left in the session. Why?

Ah, it's to do practice starts apparently.

McLaren screw up again.
They left it too late and Hamilton had a problem with his clutch and was unable to exit the pits before the red light came on.

How can they be so inept?
Why leave it until the very last second? They could have left the pits at any time :rolleyes:

I'm always mystified when teams decide to stay in the garage in wet practice sessions. It's almost as if they don't trust their drivers to keep it on the island.

Looking at Vettel, though, maybe McLaren were right.

Especially if it does turn out to be a wet race.
They've lost out on a whole session's worth of data.

I'm sure they'll say they've got Gary Paffett back in Woking doing eye-bleedingly long stints on the Magic SimulatorTM

Ouch!

_52563908_vettel_crash.jpg

McLaren must be confident that it's going to be dry this weekend.

Did anybody notice the wiring that was coming out of the RBR front-wing supports after Seb removed the lower portion of it?

This would be expected if the front-wing was still driver adjustable, but what about the current configuration?

That session's thrown a spanner in the works for Pirelli, they haven't tested their extra hard tyre, so they'll probably end up using the 'normal' hards in Barcelona.

McLaren must be confident that it's going to be dry this weekend.

Did anybody notice the wiring that was coming out of the RBR front-wing supports after Seb removed the lower portion of it?

This would be expected if the front-wing was still driver adjustable, but what about the current configuration?

Also, I'm sure Williams were happy to see Pastor in the wall after the session had ended. :o

Edit - I just replied to my own post! Meant to edit the original.

Probably sensors for telemetery data.That's not illegal in FP 1 and 2 as they are not part of the event.

That session's thrown a spanner in the works for Pirelli, they haven't tested their extra hard tyre, so they'll probably end up using the 'normal' hards in Barcelona.

Hopefully they stick with the plan. Crazy and exciting things happen when these teams don't know exactly what to expect. The tire can't be that drastically different.

On the Pirelli wet tires, it seemed they wouldn't even last as long as a Super-Soft. If the weekend is wet, several teams will probably be short on fresh sets.

Probably sensors for telemetery data.That's not illegal in FP 1 and 2 as they are not part of the event.

Whatever it was, It was a permanent component of the front wing. This wiring was inside the front wing supports and was only visible/accessible because the lower section was broken into bits.

Having something to do with telemetry makes sense I guess. I suppose they would want to know how long the wing scrapes the ground in certain sections of the circuit.

Back
Top Bottom