Grand Prix 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Typical F1.
You wait months for a race and then 2 come along in the space of a few weeks.

This weekend will see the 13th race at the Sepang circuit; will it be unlucky for some?
For a most excellent circuit write-up, see Galahad's musings here, along with enough stat's and data to satisfy the most ardent of nerds: Sepang International Circuit

2009 is remembered for the later start and torrential rain which resulted in the race being red flagged after 33 laps; making it only the fifth race in F1 history to be stopped before 75% of the distance had been completed.

Ferrari and McLaren will no doubt be aiming to make it into Q2 after their amateurish mistakes last year.
With rain forecast for the weekend though, the chances of one or more of the top drivers making a mistake is fairly high.

This race is probably make or break for HRT.
If they don't manage to qualify within 107% of the fastest time in Q1 and are once again stopped from participating in the Grand Prix, then you have to assume it's all over for them.

So, lots to look forward to. Let's hope it's not a Red Bull walkover and qualifying is a lot closer than Australia.

They only changed the tyre markings because of a few whingers. I didn't think there was anything wrong with them at Melbourne, to be honest.
I had no problem at Melboure.Yellow soft.Siver were hard.There were only two colours to worry about.

* I have it on good authority that HRT have perfected the Flexi-Wing Droop-Nose technology and that they expect to be a full second clear of Red Bull in Sepang. I have already placed a substantial bet on Tonio Liuzzi to capture the 2011 Driver's Crown. Their newfound pace will most likely put Lotus and Virgin outside of the 107% margin. Stefano Domenicali has already met with FIA representatives to prepare them for the protest that is sure to follow. *

*Is it too late for April Fool's? :D

“Since the RS27’s fuel consumption rate is extremely good, the Renault-equipped teams were able to burn 10% more fuel than normal during the Australian Grand Prix without running out of fuel, therefore giving more exhaust flow to its partners using the blown diffuser”

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/renault-blown-floor-uses-10-more-fuel/

It isn't long since Renault convinced the FIA to allow them to modify their homologated engine because they were underpowered compared to the competition? It would seem a useful side effect of that was to make it more fuel efficient.

If RBR get the KERS working, and the race is dry, then actually I'm concerned they may be further ahead even than at Melbourne. Their big advantage over their rivals there was in the high-downforce final sector; Sepang has quite a few sections where that advantage could snowball into a big lead.

The temperatures may help Ferrari with the tyres in qualifying, that seemed to be their problem reading the quotes. Could be enough to get them ahead of the McLarens; Alonso's race pace was reasonably good.

I'm looking forward to, maybe, getting some answers on Heidfeld v. Petrov and the Williams car's pace. Plus, whether Sauber were just braver than everyone else in Melbourne, or their car does have a huge tyre degradation advantage over everybody else.

And as one of the 'whingers', I very much welcome Pirelli's new improved tyre markings! :p

Can I just say that I have quickly tired of the "Melbourne doesn't show the car's true pace" stuff that's been going around.

http://cliptheapex.com/attachments/CTA-jpg.1079/?embedded=1

It is a rare day indeed that the title winner doesn't win the Australian GP!

I'm concerned they may be further ahead even than at Melbourne.

No doubt this will be the chief concern throughout the paddock as well. While there is flowing segments of Sepang that reward extreme downforce, the two massive straights enable the lower downforce / faster in a straight line cars to claw back some of that deficit. If RBR run away here, it would take nothing short of a representative load-test to stop them from walking the Championships. :chuffed:

If RBR run away here, it would take nothing short of a representative load-test to stop them from walking the Championships. :chuffed:

Well, I can think of a few other things that might stop them:
  • McLaren and Ferrari development
  • Their dodgy KERS
  • Their traditionally poor pole-to-race conversion rate
  • Rain
  • Sailing close to the wind reliability wise
  • Seb turning right
  • Mark Webber choking
  • Lewis Hamilton
  • Mark Webber taking 24 pitstops per race
  • Fernando Alonso
  • Poor getaways
  • Tyre wear
  • Slower pace in the race than qualifying
  • DRS
  • Seb attempting to overtake in the carpark ... in Monaco!

Lets not give up just yet.
Wait till the Turkish GP to do so.

I think this should prove to be a very unpredictable weekend. I don't think we should worry too much about Red Bull dominance. I don't think Mclaren and Ferrari will sit back and let it happen. We will have the usual development race. Nothing is decided at the first race.

Well, I can think of a few other things that might stop them:
  • McLaren and Ferrari development
  • Their dodgy KERS
  • Their traditionally poor pole-to-race conversion rate
  • Rain
  • Sailing close to the wind reliability wise
  • Seb turning right
  • Mark Webber choking
  • Lewis Hamilton
  • Mark Webber taking 24 pitstops per race
  • Fernando Alonso
  • Poor getaways
  • Tyre wear
  • Slower pace in the race than qualifying
  • DRS
  • Seb attempting to overtake in the carpark ... in Monaco!

Lets not give up just yet.
Wait till the Turkish GP to do so.

I've tried to be measured in my response here - but what can I say - so bugger RBR, come on you "others" - any "others"

I've only just realised it is 5 hours till FP1. If there is anything that makes free practice more entertaining it is rain on under-tested tyres. As long as they actually go out and it isn't a wash out. Anyone know if Anthony Davidson will be back this week?

Having just looked at the weather forecast given by Fergieweather, we might have quite a few interesting factors. Rain very likely for sunday so could we see people gambling on a wet setup in a dry quali? Or could the whole thing be done in the wet. If FP1/2/3 are not in the wet, and Quali is then we could see a very mixed grid with nobody really knowing what to expect on the undertested pirelli's. Oh how i love F1 weekends. :D

Not me, I shall be firing zeds at the ceiling. Might get to see 30mins of P2 over breakfast but that's it.

Having just looked at the weather forecast given by Fergieweather, we might have quite a few interesting factors. Rain very likely for sunday so could we see people gambling on a wet setup in a dry quali? Or could the whole thing be done in the wet. If FP1/2/3 are not in the wet, and Quali is then we could see a very mixed grid with nobody really knowing what to expect on the undertested pirelli's. Oh how i love F1 weekends. :D

I thought I'd decided not to stay up/wake up for FP1, but as the time gets nearer I'm not so sure! ...I may end up regretting this tomorrow morning! :sleeping:

Is the weather forecast: light rain for FP1 and heavy rain for FP2? :)

Not sure. Was only suppose to be 25% for friday according to fergieweather, but i don't know if this refers to the free practise or all day. I will definitely be awake for free practice. Just addicted now to F1 i can't even miss a session. I'm even looking forward to seeing the new temporary tyre designs.

Just looking at the BBC and according to them (yeah, I know, maybe not that accurate..) it's light rain showers approx 11.00 am & heavy rain showers approx 2.00 pm local time....

Back
Top Bottom