Grand Prix 2011 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So on to China, with the teams only having a few days rest after Malaysia. Last year Red Bull dominated qualifying with Christian Horner describing Vettel’s pole lap as “phenomenal”.

Come the race, however, changeable weather caught out both the Red Bull drivers and Lewis Hamilton as they pitted early expecting heavy rain. This left Jenson Button, who chose not to go in for inters, in the lead and he, along with Nico Rosberg and Robert Kubica who also stayed out on slicks, showed that it’s all about being on the right tyres at the right time.

The race should also be remembered for what looked like an astonishing start from Fernando Alonso. I watched it in an Italian hotel and the crowd literally went wild, only for the assembled throng to mope to the bar a few minutes later as Alonso was given a drive through penalty for jumping the start.

Button’s more mature tyre strategy won him the race, although he was under pressure late on from Hamilton, and the team scored their first 1-2 since Monza 2007 with Rosberg taking third for Mercedes.

2011 has been a Red Bull Fest, or perhaps more accurately a Vettel Fest, so far with the young German taking pole and race wins in the first two Grands Prix whilst his team mate has struggled with various car problems and, might I postulate, some psychological scarring from last season. McLaren are much closer than pre-season testing indicated they would be and Renault have surprised everyone with 3rd spot at both races and an ability to get off the start line reminiscent of the Benetton launch control system.

Ferrari are nowhere near where they feel they should and there will be many tired faces in their pit garage as managers and engineers flit backwards and forwards between Europe and the Far East trying to understand what is going on. Similarly Mercedes are still not even close to where they expect to be whilst Sauber and Force India are looking good for minor placings, dicing with the Toro Rosso’s.

Toward the back, Williams (it hurts me to say) look to have taken 1 step forward and 2 back with their new car and are now competing with Team Lotus to be the best of the worst. Virgin appear not to have moved any further forward compared to 2010 and HRT, despite no pre-season testing, look to have a car which, once a bit more sorted, might get ahead of them. I suppose the question there is can they sort the car?

Oh, I nearly forgot tyres. 55 pit stops in Malaysia, more marbles than a game of KerPlunk and rubber wearing out faster than Russell Brand’s bed sheets. No sign of the wet tyres yet, will Shanghai throw us a surprise (sorry, had to slip that in)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write-up, see here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/shanghai-international-circuit/

Well the sensible thing would have been to have one old floor and one new.
That would then give them a benchmark against which to gauge the new floor.

McLaren seem to just get the very basics wrong these days (last 2-3 years) when it comes to upgrades and test sessions.

Ever since the 2009 miracle turnaround the mid season upgrades have been shocking for Mclaren in terms of increasing speed.

Well over 1 lap there isn't that much to choose between Red Bull and Mclaren and perhaps Mercedes have finally found some speed.

Well the sensible thing would have been to have one old floor and one new.
That would then give them a benchmark against which to gauge the new floor.

McLaren seem to just get the very basics wrong these days (last 2-3 years) when it comes to upgrades and test sessions.

Yup, I agree. They also get strategy wrong a lot because they rely too much on simulations, rather than using common sense and their own initiative. Lewis suffers more from this than Jenson because he relies more on the team to make decisions for him, whereas Jenson is obviously more experienced and good tactically.

Well over 1 lap there isn't that much to choose between Red Bull and Mclaren and perhaps Mercedes have finally found some speed.

I'm not sure Vettel used KERS for his final hot lap. If he did, you can expect McLaren to be 2 - 3 tenths away, if he didn't then Red Bull will be 5 - 6 tenths ahead in qualifying. I think if that is the case, it is because they've brought (mystery) upgrades here, which have worked, whereas McLarens haven't. Also, as it isn't as hot here, Red Bull are probably gaining a little time relatively to Malaysia where they had to open up the car a bit for cooling purposes. Quite honestly, McLaren have now gone 2 races without any reasonable upgrade working, so it is not surprising they are dropping off. They just never seem to get their head around the blown diffuser, getting exhaust updates correlating consistently with the wind tunnel / simulations and getting them working reliably just seems really difficult for them.

My vote for chump has changed already.... Even though that was a team decision.

It does show you how well a dirty track improves over the space of 20 minutes.

I've got a feeling Vettel will outqualify Webber yet again...what does it mean for JB, LH, FA and the Renaults? They've set their sight a notch higher for tomorrow.

Well that was a surprise with Webber. The nice thing about the Pirellis and the significant difference between soft and hard means that if even a half decent team gets a proper lap in on softs the leaders really have to respond to stay safe, rather than knocking out a lap on primes and hanging around in the garage until Q2 - can make for some unexpected results, as we just saw.

Red flag and 2 mns remaining. There's gonna be an almighty scramble of drivers having to do another lap on the softs because no-one apart from the top three looks safe...

Q2 was a bit farcical at the end, they really need to look at putting a minimum time back on the clock if a Quali session is red flagged - something like 2x or 3x the fastest lap at the time of the flag ....

... would only affect sessions with late flags and would mean all those penalised by the flag would get a more sensible window to go again in!

Quali 3 is becoming a bit of an anti-climax with only 3 or 4 drivers bothering to try for pole and the rest doing one run to fight for 5th. :tumbleweed:

Hamilton is in a strong position really. Kept a set of tyres and is on the cleaner side of the grid.

Back
Top Bottom