Grand Prix 2011 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So on to China, with the teams only having a few days rest after Malaysia. Last year Red Bull dominated qualifying with Christian Horner describing Vettel’s pole lap as “phenomenal”.

Come the race, however, changeable weather caught out both the Red Bull drivers and Lewis Hamilton as they pitted early expecting heavy rain. This left Jenson Button, who chose not to go in for inters, in the lead and he, along with Nico Rosberg and Robert Kubica who also stayed out on slicks, showed that it’s all about being on the right tyres at the right time.

The race should also be remembered for what looked like an astonishing start from Fernando Alonso. I watched it in an Italian hotel and the crowd literally went wild, only for the assembled throng to mope to the bar a few minutes later as Alonso was given a drive through penalty for jumping the start.

Button’s more mature tyre strategy won him the race, although he was under pressure late on from Hamilton, and the team scored their first 1-2 since Monza 2007 with Rosberg taking third for Mercedes.

2011 has been a Red Bull Fest, or perhaps more accurately a Vettel Fest, so far with the young German taking pole and race wins in the first two Grands Prix whilst his team mate has struggled with various car problems and, might I postulate, some psychological scarring from last season. McLaren are much closer than pre-season testing indicated they would be and Renault have surprised everyone with 3rd spot at both races and an ability to get off the start line reminiscent of the Benetton launch control system.

Ferrari are nowhere near where they feel they should and there will be many tired faces in their pit garage as managers and engineers flit backwards and forwards between Europe and the Far East trying to understand what is going on. Similarly Mercedes are still not even close to where they expect to be whilst Sauber and Force India are looking good for minor placings, dicing with the Toro Rosso’s.

Toward the back, Williams (it hurts me to say) look to have taken 1 step forward and 2 back with their new car and are now competing with Team Lotus to be the best of the worst. Virgin appear not to have moved any further forward compared to 2010 and HRT, despite no pre-season testing, look to have a car which, once a bit more sorted, might get ahead of them. I suppose the question there is can they sort the car?

Oh, I nearly forgot tyres. 55 pit stops in Malaysia, more marbles than a game of KerPlunk and rubber wearing out faster than Russell Brand’s bed sheets. No sign of the wet tyres yet, will Shanghai throw us a surprise (sorry, had to slip that in)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write-up, see here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/shanghai-international-circuit/

Is their a better way to spend a early morning than watching F1 cars and listening to Crofty and Davidson banter. :D

EDIT: not including those with girlfriends. :p

If it was my fantasy I'd probably have more outlandish commentators, work Rochard Pryor in there.
See how long he can stave off swearing for.

Red Bull - Mclaren - Renault Status quo continues. Vettel 2 seconds faster than Hamilton though and 6 tenths faster than Webber

Less than a second between P3 and P16.

The RB7 looks absolutely glued to the circuit. Just about everybody else was sliding around like crazy.

Hmm...difficult to take much from FP1. Most teams lean towards it being a test session and we slowly move on to practise as the sessions go on. Reckon we will see other teams true pace more in FP2

Less than a second between P3 and P16.

The RB7 looks absolutely glued to the circuit. Just about everybody else was sliding around like crazy.

Yes. Ignoring the times that are largely irrelevant, actually watching that car go round is very worrying. They've had a nearly perfect car for over a year now.

I reckon if Red Bull dominate FP2 as well, then we could be in for a long weekend. Free Practice only gives an idea of what teams have, but it isn't usually that far from the truth.

Looks too easy for Red Bull, again; Vettel probably capable of low 1:36's in Quali rather than the 1:37.7 today

Renault still hanging in with the big boys, but I wonder if the car found the driver's limit today!

With Nick's two offs, both looking to be driver errors, how much closer could they be if Kubica was in the car? :(

I'm not sure what's going on with McLaren. I don't know if they reverted back to their old blown diffuser for second practice, or whether they kept the new upgrade. The car didn't look to be handling very well in first practice. If that is the case then they can probably find quite a bit of time in setup over night.

Both Lewis and Jenson could have gone faster than Vettels time as Jenson got held up in traffic on his best lap and Lewis I imagine, locked up his tyres in the 3rd sector, losing 3 tenths or so, which is why he said they "had gone".

I'm not so worried about McLaren matching Red Bull in qualifying, but the Red Bulls look in a league of their own in race pace - I think they may compromise qualifying pace again to have optimal race pace. If you look at their times, they are the only team who were able to have their time keep on going lower as fuel burns down, all others just suffer too much degredation.

Hamilton was on hard tyres, so not so much of a good comparison, but I'll give you a few guys who were on softs and most likely full tanks in race mode:-

Vettel
26 1:44.271
27 1:43.894
28 1:43.668
29 1:43.986
30 1:53.464
31 1:43.237
32 1:45.975
33 1:42.648

Webber
21 1:44.172
22 1:43.509
23 1:49.368
24 1:44.254
25 1:43.750
26 1:43.641
27 1:43.545
28 1:42.730
29 1:43.453
30 1:43.211
31 1:43.243
32 1:43.652

Button
23 1:45.115
24 1:44.702
25 1:44.641
26 1:44.797
27 1:44.408
28 1:44.161
29 1:45.526
30 1:44.676

Massa
27 1:43.738
28 1:44.033
29 1:43.873
30 1:43.834
31 1:43.780
32 1:44.275
33 1:44.923
34 1:44.729
35 1:45.046

Rosberg
16 1:44.530
17 1:44.707
18 1:44.561
19 1:44.544
20 1:44.730
21 1:44.879
22 1:44.833
23 1:44.974
24 1:45.421
25 1:45.968

What can be seen is that Button only has slightly better times than Rosberg (with Mercedes showing impressive single lap pace in FP2), with Massa being initially quicker than Button, but having his times drop off as he probably worked the tyres too hard early on. But if you look at Vettel and Webber, on lap 8, they both got well into the 1:42s, being over 2 seconds quicker than all their rivals at that point and Webber for another 4 laps afterwards didn't show a huge amount of degradation. Vettel was on average, more than a second a lap faster than Button over those 8 laps. It looks pretty ominous for the rest of them, unless McLaren can find a huge amount of time in setup over night.

For god sake, here we go again, with McLaren bringing new exhaust upgrades that aren't working and are actually making the car worse by ruining its balance. Remember Silverstone 2010? The majority of the 2nd half of that season they were struggling with their new blown diffuser and it actually made the car slower. They brought this update to Sepang and it didn't work, they're now trying it here, but all the feedback from the drivers looks like it has actually made the car worse to drive and thus I imagine, have actually made it slower. I hope they actually revert back to the previous floor over night, because they looked miles away from Red Bull on race pace, which is strange only 1 week later on a pretty similar track. They performed a miracle by getting the car competitive for the first race by actually reverting to a much simpler blown diffuser. It seems they wasted most of winter testing trying out 4 or 5 different exhaust systems, none of which appear to have worked and now they're trying to update this one, they're making the car worse. Up until Silverstone last year, I really thought McLaren could catch Red Bull - I was very positive after Sepang, but what has happened today just brings back bad memories. It's a shame because clearly the rest of the car has a lot of potential and if they could just exploit the blown floor area a bit more then they'd catch the Bulls.

Taken from the BBC f1 website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13090220.stm):-

But Hamilton said his "gut feeling" was that the new parts were not an improvement, adding: "It's not the end of the world as the car is still good. We're not in a bad position."

"This morning's session was difficult," Hamilton said. "I had all the bits that they were changing with the rear floor. I had a big off moment and that was partly to do with one of those things not working.

"There were positives and some negatives. (In) the afternoon we chose to go with the upgrade we had but I've been really struggling with the balance so I don't know if it's the upgrade.

"I was able to get a reasonable lap time but I wasn't comfortable in the car. My feeling is that the Red Bulls are very, very quick this weekend. There is quite a bit of downforce (needed) on this circuit and they've shown time and time again that they generally have a little bit more than us. We are just behind them but there is a little bit of gap between us. "

"Through the long run it looked like they were quicker than Jenson (by) maybe a second compared to his option (tyre) long run, I was on primes which was even slower. We'll still be chasing them and we'll keep pushing."

Asked if McLaren were closer to Red Bull's pace this weekend, Button said: "No, not at all. I don't think we are at the moment. If we sort our balance out we'll be closer. I'll be surprised if we can fight for pole position in qualifying as they look very fast.

"The car is still a good car to drive but we didn't improve the balance of the car and we will look at why the changes we made didn't give us the improvement.

The Mercedes seems to have been working well today. With their long run and qualifying times being on a par with McLaren, with Ferrari's Felipe Massa running well on long runs, Jenson and Lewis will need to watch their backs. Although Fernando appeared to be struggling...

My feeling is McLaren will revert to the Melbourne spec again and end up a tad quicker but still off the Red Bulls. The problem is that there are more medium and fast turns here than in Sepang and Mclaren just isn't going to bridge that gap in downforce.

The Mercedes seems to have been working well today. With their long run and qualifying times being on a par with McLaren, with Ferrari's Felipe Massa running well on long runs, Jenson and Lewis will need to watch their backs. Although Fernando appeared to be struggling...

My feeling is McLaren will revert to the Melbourne spec again and end up a tad quicker but still off the Red Bulls. The problem is that there are more medium and fast turns here than in Sepang and Mclaren just isn't going to bridge that gap in downforce.

I pretty much agree with everything you've said. Mercedes look to have found some time and Ferrari too with their new upgrades and better tyre understanding. McLaren absolutely must revert back to their Melbourne spec, which saw them only 1 tenth away from pole on Malaysia. The problem is that Red Bull said they were bringing updates to this race, however, as usual with Red Bull, they never release what they are - probably the smartest tactic really, so no one can copy them very quickly. The problem for McLaren is these new parts may make the car quicker, but they are making it harder to drive and find balance, which will make it slower over a whole lap. Additionally, it will make it harder to control with a full tank and we all know how quickly the tyres go off if your car is moving around!

It's just a shame because this miricle 2 week upgrade / car redesign they did put them in great shape for Melbourne. If the updates in Malaysia would have worked (i.e. brought performance), they'd have been on pole without a doubt and then here, they could have been focusing on other things. As it is, it looks like 2 races where the same updates haven't worked and they probably don't know why or else they'd have solved it after 2 races! They'll most likely have to abandon them and try a new approach for the start of the European season, but it just can't be underestimated as to how crucial every week of development time is and my fear is that McLaren are losing out on valuable time, whereas when Red Bull bring upgrades they generally seem to work, even if they are just simple things!

I'm also wondering why they didn't just back to back the old floor with the new one. I think they had it on both the cars for both the sessions! Seems a little strange, especially after both drivers were unhappy after the first session. Only that way would they get a clear indication of its benefit, if any. They would also gain time setting up the old spec, should they have to revert to it, which now looks likely. . . :rolleyes:

I'm also wondering why they didn't just back to back the old floor with the new one. I think they had it on both the cars for both the sessions! Seems a little strange, especially after both drivers were unhappy after the first session. Only that way would they get a clear indication of its benefit, if any. They would also gain time setting up the old spec, should they have to revert to it, which now looks likely. . . :rolleyes:

As one of the few people on this site with an aversion to all things McLaren (a grudge I've held since 1976) I hope that they can find even more upgrades that make the car go slower.

On a tangent, wasn't there some fuss last year about the size of the holes in the rear body work through which the starters are inserted? Red Bull's seems to me to be even larger this year. Although HRT have a similar one and it doesn't seem to be helping them!

The only hope for those not wanting another RB walkover seems to be that they are still having trouble cooling their KERS.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-publi...E/1-2011 TECHNICAL REGULATIONS 08-03-2011.pdf 3.12.7 No bodywork which is visible from beneath the car and which lies between the rear wheel centre line and a
point 350mm rearward of it may be more than 125mm above the reference plane. With the exception of the
aperture described below, any intersection of the surfaces in this area with a lateral or longitudinal vertical
plane should form one continuous line which is visible from beneath the car.
An aperture for the purpose of allowing access for the device referred to in Article 5.16 is permitted in this
surface. However, no such aperture may have an area greater than 3500mm2 when projected onto the
surface itself and no point on the aperture may be more than 100mm from any other point on the aperture. 5.16 Starting the engine :
A supplementary device temporarily connected to the car may be used to start the engine both on the grid
and in the pits.

As one of the few people on this site with an aversion to all things McLaren (a grudge I've held since 1976) I hope that they can find even more upgrades that make the car go slower.
Sounds like that would be an interesting thread, there were all sorts of shenanigans during the '76 season.

Back
Top Bottom