Grand Prix 2011 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so finally it's here.

After the recent events in Bahrain the delayed 2011 Formula One season is underway this weekend in Melbourne, Australia.

For the history of the event and the circuit information, click on the link below:

Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit (Albert Park) | Clip The Apex

As we stand on the brink of the new F1 season there are many un-answered questions. How will the new tyres effect each team? who will find the right package from the off? and many others.

Unusually for a pre-season testing period there was very little information that could be gained by F1 fans as to who would have the upper hand as the season get's underway. Mclaren appear to be struggling with their new car while Ferrari and Red Bull seem to be the early pace setters.

Williams have designed a radical new car for this season and it could mark the return to the front end of the grid for them while the jury is still out as to the performance of Mercedes and if they can make up for a lacklustre season last year. Both Rosberg and Schumacher have been positive in the press about their new car however the time sheets at the pre-season tests didn't exactly match their opinions. Renault have designed one of the more radical cars at the start of the season but without the talent of Robert Kubica the team may not get off to the start they had hoped for. Heidfeld is an experienced replacement but will he have the speed that his former team mate has?

Towards the rear of the grid, Torro Rosso look like they could be swallowed by at least two of the new teams from last season while Sauber will hope to have built on their improvment from 2010 and move towards the front end of the grid. Force India will also be hoping that a rough showing in pre-season testing will not translate in to a rough season.

Of last seasons new teams, both Lotus and Virgin have made strides forward with their 2011 challengers. The very least they will be looking for at the first race is to match the times of the cars at the tail end of Q1. HRT meanwhile, look to have produced a car that is a leap ahead on their 2010 effort but will once again suffer from a total lack of pre-season testing and from a tiny budget with which to develop the car further.

So, who is going to be quick out of the box and who is going to suffer a rude awakening with their cars? The first indication we will have will be in the small hours of Thursday night/Friday morning Uk time but we won't really know until qualification starts on Saturday.

Bring it on..................

I'm thinking it might be worth splitting off the Red Bull KERS discussion as that could be an interesting topic throughout the season.

Anyone agree?

Same goes for their front wing, as I recall last season there was a lot of discussion on that.

I'm thinking it might be worth splitting off the Red Bull KERS discussion as that could be an interesting topic throughout the season.
Anyone agree?
Same goes for their front wing, as I recall last season there was a lot of discussion on that.
seems good to me :thumbsup:

I'm convinced that there are "certain peculiarities" about that front wing.

Those that are calling foul know the rules as well as the next man - for them to do it two years in a row suggests that they were right the first time round.

Off topic sorry.Did anyone elses live timing pack up during qualifying.
Yes. It was very, very, very annoying. I missed a lot of the action hunting around the net for an alternative live feed. >:(They better have it sorted for the race.

Thought it was my computer.I was mildly irritated by it happening.The cat emerged from her hiding place three hours after qualifying finished and my wife locked herself in the bedroom.>:(:censored::censored:

Thought it was my computer.I was mildly irritated by it happening.The cat emerged from her hiding place three hours after qualifying finished and my wife locked herself in the bedroom.>:(:censored::censored:
God, I'd hate to see you really disgruntled :dizzy:

I don't think it has been mentioned yet but didn't Martin and David do a brilliant job commentating. When he did his introduction bit i was a bit unsure because it sounded very Legard-y but as soon as the actual action started it was so natural.

His introduction was a bit wooden and scripted, as was the piece at the start by Jordan which was truly nauseating :sick:, but once they got going it was a world away from last season.

Thank goodness Legard is gone.

I don't think it has been mentioned yet but didn't Martin and David do a brilliant job commentating. When he did his introduction bit i was a bit unsure because it sounded very Legard-y but as soon as the actual action started it was so natural.
I thought that too; in fact, I realised quite late in the session that I hadn't really thought about who was commentating. Well done lads. :thumbsup:

His introduction was a bit wooden and scripted.

Hopefully it was just nervous and once the season goes on he will get better at introductions, which was probably the one bit he Legard was good at, it was his race commentating that was too wooden and scripted which i don't know how he managed. Not too bothered with the introduction anyway, it is just some of the completely irrelevant comments that Legard use to make that was annoying.

Always liked Brundle, glad Legard has gone, EJ just grates and I still have reservations on DC - although the voice/accent works well on TV. And Jake seems to be getting a grip - I love (metaphorically) Ms Balding who seems to understand all sports

They seem to get on very well and as Chad says it wasn't till it was over that I realised I hadn't dented anything, spat at the tele or been violently sick.

However I do suspect there is an element of sheer unbridled passion in the commentary box that we'll eventually miss. With both being ex drivers and well informed the banter is in danger of becoming a little predictable. What they need to do is fall out with one another and start sniping and bitching to spice things up a bit. ;)

His introduction was a bit wooden and scripted, as was the piece at the start by Jordan which was truly nauseating :sick:, but once they got going it was a world away from last season.

Thank goodness Legard is gone.

Oh I like that Intro by EJ, it's what the BBC do good, could you imagine that on ITV with Adrian Chiles pitching it up?

Ha! I wondered why the Mclaren's diffusers were white rather than the usual black. Now I know why, thanks to MB; they couldn't get enough heat proof carbon fibre in time, so covered them in titanium instead.

Great start to the season.

Looks like it's going to be a case of catch the Red Bull again though.

Excellent results for Petrov and Perez.
Is that the first time a Russian has been on the podium?

Let's hope Hamilton isn't DSQ'ed for the plank wear, but I'm not hopeful.

Stupid mistake by Button / McLaren not letting Massa back through.

Back
Top Bottom