Grand Prix 2011 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so finally it's here.

After the recent events in Bahrain the delayed 2011 Formula One season is underway this weekend in Melbourne, Australia.

For the history of the event and the circuit information, click on the link below:

Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit (Albert Park) | Clip The Apex

As we stand on the brink of the new F1 season there are many un-answered questions. How will the new tyres effect each team? who will find the right package from the off? and many others.

Unusually for a pre-season testing period there was very little information that could be gained by F1 fans as to who would have the upper hand as the season get's underway. Mclaren appear to be struggling with their new car while Ferrari and Red Bull seem to be the early pace setters.

Williams have designed a radical new car for this season and it could mark the return to the front end of the grid for them while the jury is still out as to the performance of Mercedes and if they can make up for a lacklustre season last year. Both Rosberg and Schumacher have been positive in the press about their new car however the time sheets at the pre-season tests didn't exactly match their opinions. Renault have designed one of the more radical cars at the start of the season but without the talent of Robert Kubica the team may not get off to the start they had hoped for. Heidfeld is an experienced replacement but will he have the speed that his former team mate has?

Towards the rear of the grid, Torro Rosso look like they could be swallowed by at least two of the new teams from last season while Sauber will hope to have built on their improvment from 2010 and move towards the front end of the grid. Force India will also be hoping that a rough showing in pre-season testing will not translate in to a rough season.

Of last seasons new teams, both Lotus and Virgin have made strides forward with their 2011 challengers. The very least they will be looking for at the first race is to match the times of the cars at the tail end of Q1. HRT meanwhile, look to have produced a car that is a leap ahead on their 2010 effort but will once again suffer from a total lack of pre-season testing and from a tiny budget with which to develop the car further.

So, who is going to be quick out of the box and who is going to suffer a rude awakening with their cars? The first indication we will have will be in the small hours of Thursday night/Friday morning Uk time but we won't really know until qualification starts on Saturday.

Bring it on..................

Apparently Buemi is also under investigation.

If he is penalised for going off the circuit and Vettel isn't then that will speak volumes...

The fact that Vettel isn't also under investigation says it all really.

ON the post race Technical document it says that cars 16 and 17 failed a test but it tells us to refer to a previous Tecnical document for details! It appears that Sauber's wing had already failed a test before the race was run.

From Adam Cooper on Twitter:

The test Sauber failed is apparently new for this year, it involves a template fitting the wing.

Sauber have appealed so it will drag on...

I couldn't believe how easily Jenson let him by either, in a spot where you traditionally don't seen any overtaking. Vettel obviously had the tire advantage, but Button must have been apprised of the importance of the situation, and Seb went by almost like he was putting a lap on Jenson.

I know what you mean Keke but, added to the tyre difference, Jenson had just been given his penalty - if a collision had happened due to him defending/ blocking then he could have been on the wrong end of a DQ!

All in all a decent race, no classic but not every one can be. Happy with second for Lewis, no way anyone was catching Seb.

Also a good double finish for Sauber (although a shame if they have been disqualified). Did anyone else watch the forum afterwards when they were beside the cars? The Sauber's tyres looked like they could have lasted another 15 laps while on the other cars the Pirellis had been demolished. Interesting that their tyre management seems to be better than every one elses - I wonder if having Heidfeld (who was testing the Pirellis last year) for the last few races last year helped in this...

From Ted Kravitz:

Sauber's rear wing: FIA say it was effectively too flat, which would allow more air through the moveable rear wing gap, making car faster.

So that explains it then.

I'm so disappointed for Sauber. They really are a great team with too young talented drivers. Though looking at the top speed that Perez did, it kind of suggests there might have been a performance advantage from this. Find it ironic that the FIA reacted straight away to Sauber running a wing too low. :whistle: Don't think i should go there.

Saw the race live but with non-English commentary, so didn't have any explanations ongoing from Brundle &co.

I'm interested to hear that there was, at least, some questioning of Hamilton's undertray/floor, as I thought there was some ruling about bodywork loose on the car not being allowed - surely if he'd knocked it hard on a kerb again parts could have flown off?

Also, I could not understand why Button didn't let Massa back through immediately to avoid the penalty - from memory he had plenty of opportunity, several corners and most of a lap, to do it before Alonso overtook Massa!

Apart from this it was an OK race, overtaking still the big issue (Button clearly faster than Massa!) and no sign the changes have helped ...... still, looking forward to R2 already :)

Apart from this it was an OK race, overtaking still the big issue (Button clearly faster than Massa!) and no sign the changes have helped ...... still, looking forward to R2 already :)

Tbf, i think the DRS did its job. It wasn't in a particularly good place for overtaking, so the fact that it produced 3 - possibly more if you count the ones where people got close at turn 1 then completed an overtake at turn 3 - then it probably did exactly what it was intended to do. The problem is, it is time the FIA stopped addressing everything but the actual issue. If they brought out rules that seriously restricted the amount of downforce a car could get then we would see more natural overtaking.

I saw a lot in that race that gave us reason to be optimistic. We no longer had the one stop and cruise strategy. The tyres are unpredictable. The top 4 were all in different cars suggesting there might be a new emphasis on the driver. Despite all this though, it is obvious that the most exciting races will still be when god* puts on the sprinklers.

*not a reference to Bernie

Here's a little teaser for the Overtaking video. I can't believe they never showed this replay during the broadcast. If you wanted a perfect example of how the DRS is supposed to work, I assume this would be the kind of thing you would want to show.

Lap 5: Alonso on Rosberg for P7

It doesn't even seem like Alonso gets that great of a run out of the final corner, but he blows by the Mercedes on the straight.

Here's a little teaser for the Overtaking video. I can't believe they never showed this replay during the broadcast. If you wanted a perfect example of how the DRS is supposed to work, I assume this would be the kind of thing you would want to show.

Lap 5: Alonso on Rosberg for P7

It doesn't even seem like Alonso gets that great of a run out of the final corner, but he blows by the Mercedes on the straight.

Wow. He got some crazy speed there. The problem with the overtakes at turn 1 is i don't think any of them were wheel to wheel. I'm guessing there was more overtakes than usual today?

Although he didn't qualify well Heidfeld (apparently) got hit on the first lap - same response to him as to Schumie: Get it right in qualifying and you wouldn't have been there would you.

Today was a tough race. I’m obviously disappointed not to finish in the points, but it just wasn’t possible, especially after I got hit on the first lap. It’s a shame because I had made such a good start from 18th to 12th by the first corner. The damage to the car was quite severe, mostly to the right hand bodywork, sidepod and engine cover. So it wasn’t a strong race for me at all.

http://www.lotusrenaultgp.com/4444-From-Russia-with-love-Australian.html

Haf decent race yesterday. Im gutted for the Saubers though :(. Wonder if thats any expination for Perez remarkable use of the tyres. If not he has really given a few of the teams to think about. Hate DRS, Hate the idea of an 'overtaking zone', and hate the fact the driver infront seemingly cannot do that much about it.

Fanatsitc for Petrov to get the poduim, He has shown he can be fast before but hopefully this is the start of him keeping on track too. Roll on Malaysia.

Back
Top Bottom