Grand Prix 2011 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so finally it's here.

After the recent events in Bahrain the delayed 2011 Formula One season is underway this weekend in Melbourne, Australia.

For the history of the event and the circuit information, click on the link below:

Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit (Albert Park) | Clip The Apex

As we stand on the brink of the new F1 season there are many un-answered questions. How will the new tyres effect each team? who will find the right package from the off? and many others.

Unusually for a pre-season testing period there was very little information that could be gained by F1 fans as to who would have the upper hand as the season get's underway. Mclaren appear to be struggling with their new car while Ferrari and Red Bull seem to be the early pace setters.

Williams have designed a radical new car for this season and it could mark the return to the front end of the grid for them while the jury is still out as to the performance of Mercedes and if they can make up for a lacklustre season last year. Both Rosberg and Schumacher have been positive in the press about their new car however the time sheets at the pre-season tests didn't exactly match their opinions. Renault have designed one of the more radical cars at the start of the season but without the talent of Robert Kubica the team may not get off to the start they had hoped for. Heidfeld is an experienced replacement but will he have the speed that his former team mate has?

Towards the rear of the grid, Torro Rosso look like they could be swallowed by at least two of the new teams from last season while Sauber will hope to have built on their improvment from 2010 and move towards the front end of the grid. Force India will also be hoping that a rough showing in pre-season testing will not translate in to a rough season.

Of last seasons new teams, both Lotus and Virgin have made strides forward with their 2011 challengers. The very least they will be looking for at the first race is to match the times of the cars at the tail end of Q1. HRT meanwhile, look to have produced a car that is a leap ahead on their 2010 effort but will once again suffer from a total lack of pre-season testing and from a tiny budget with which to develop the car further.

So, who is going to be quick out of the box and who is going to suffer a rude awakening with their cars? The first indication we will have will be in the small hours of Thursday night/Friday morning Uk time but we won't really know until qualification starts on Saturday.

Bring it on..................

What it seems that in race conditions that the Mclaren is as fast as the Red Bull. What a turn around.

Hmm...not sure what to make of that really. Nothing wrong with the race, wasn't a thriller, but like all sports you can't have every race a thriller because then you have to redefine what a thriller is.

Not too sure about the DRS. I think at times KERS was more interesting. A lot of people say it is just a case of two teams using it at the same time, but it is not because you can't tell when your opponent is using it, so it is kind of a case of being smart with it. Button and Massa was an interesting battle of KERS.

I think my biggest let down for the race was we saw Hamilton about 3 times. I was really hoping he was going to sneak 1st place.

As for what the commentators were saying about undercutting Vettel at the first stop, the only way they can and should have done that is by pitting next lap because you take advantage of the oppositions slow outlap. After that they are only going to pull away from you because of better tyres.

I think a lot to be optimistic about. The tyres seem to be on a strange borderline of 1, 2 and 3 stops being the optimum choice. I'm glad we have got rid of the whole 1 stop and cruise strategy. I also think having no KERS on the Red Bull will make future races interesting because they will struggle to move forward in races so as long as Mclaren and co can close the gap on them i doubt they will walk the season. :)

I think my biggest let down for the race was we saw Hamilton about 3 times. I was really hoping he was going to sneak 1st place.

As for what the commentators were saying about undercutting Vettel at the first stop, the only way they can and should have done that is by pitting next lap because you take advantage of the oppositions slow outlap. After that they are only going to pull away from you because of better tyres. :)

Asolutely agree on both counts. In fact, just prior to Vettel's first stop Hamilton had closed the gap to just over a second, but we never saw it visually, only on the timing captions. Even the commentators missed it. After Hamilton had stopped too, the gap between them very quickly went out to over 5 seconds, demonstrating that Vettel's timing for his stop had worked much better.

Asolutely agree on both counts. In fact, just prior to Vettel's first stop Hamilton had closed the gap to just over a second, but we never saw it visually, only on the timing captions. Even the commentators missed it. After Hamilton had stopped too, the gap between them very quickly went out to over 5 seconds, demonstrating that Vettel's timing for his stop had worked much better.

The most important moment of the race was the Vettel overtake on Button. When he got behind him it was a great opportunity for Mclaren to back him up. I don't really understand how he got past so easily, albeit with all 4 tyres off the track.

For about the last 15+ laps I was hoping not to see Lewis on the screen, as that would most likely mean they would be showing something going wrong due to the flapping undertray.

I'm not sure you could have a much more satisfying 2nd Place after the testing season McLaren had.

Are we sure that McLaren's Bahraini owners didn't incite the political unrest there to give the Woking boys a chance to go back to the drawing board? :victory:

The most important moment of the race was the Vettel overtake on Button. When he got behind him it was a great opportunity for Mclaren to back him up. I don't really understand how he got past so easily, albeit with all 4 tyres off the track.

I couldn't believe how easily Jenson let him by either, in a spot where you traditionally don't seen any overtaking. Vettel obviously had the tire advantage, but Button must have been apprised of the importance of the situation, and Seb went by almost like he was putting a lap on Jenson.

McLaren couldn't have possibly scripted that scenario any better, and Jense pretty much let it go completely by the wayside.

Of course Coulthard was quick to claim that Buemi should be penalised for doing exactly the same thing.

DC was also the only one of the BBC boys to seriously entertain the idea that Lewis could fail FIA scrutineering.

But to be fair to David, when I did check in on the BBC feed (during american TV breaks), I thought he was doing a fine job.

Any news on Lewis' floor? I can't imagine them penalising him but it is the FIA after all. When Button was with that chicane business, and Massa let Alonso through he never got let back past:whistle: Pit stops and other drivers in the way are to blame for sure. Nice dive by Petrov and Perez also, not so nice drive by Rubens and Mark.

First lap on fresh rubber seems to be the critical advantage of the Red Bull over the McLaren. Lewis's first set of tyres lasted longer than Sebastian's and Lewis's laps were as quick if not quicker during the middle and final stage of the stint. Lewis's in lap and pitstop were quicker than Sebastian's but his out lap was one second slower.

Sebastian
1 17:05:11
2 1:33.006
3 1:32.713

Lewis
1 17:05:14
2 1:33.774
3 1:32.900

Sebastian
12 1:32.902
13 1:33.698
14 P 1:52.075
15 1:38.385
16 1:31.548
17 1:30.800
18 1:31.810

Lewis
14 1:32.984
15 1:33.186
16 P 1:52.039
17 1:39.566
18 1:31.823
19 1:31.400
20 1:31.194

Just checked on the Speed Trap data, and there was a huge gap between the McLaren boys. I wonder if Lewis ever even had an opportunity to use the vaunted DRS, because I don't recall one.

2011 FORMULA 1 QANTAS AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX - Melbourne
POS NO DRIVER KPH
1 4 J. BUTTON 313.4
2 17 S. PEREZ 312.6
3 7 M. SCHUMACHER 309.7
4 14 A. SUTIL 309.5
5 5 F. ALONSO 309.1
6 15 P. DI RESTA 308.6
7 9 N. HEIDFELD 308.6
8 16 K. KOBAYASHI 308.3
9 1 S. VETTEL 307.4
10 10 V. PETROV 307.4
11 6 F. MASSA 307.4
12 2 M. WEBBER 306.3
13 11 R. BARRICHELLO 305.9
14 12 P. MALDONADO 305.4
15 19 J. ALGUERSUARI 304.6
16 18 S. BUEMI 303.8
17 25 J. D'AMBROSIO 301.0
18 3 L. HAMILTON 299.3
19 21 J. TRULLI 299.0
20 24 T. GLOCK 296.8
21 8 N. ROSBERG 294.5
22 20 H. KOVALAINEN 292.7

They should think about moving the speed trap or adding another one that isn't in the DRS zone. It totally distorts those figures and makes them meaningless.

They should think about moving the speed trap or adding another one that isn't in the DRS zone. It totally distorts those figures and makes them meaningless.

Yes, but if this is the reason it tells us a lot about the DRS, because it is 14kph difference at the end of the straight.

Does it show his analysis of Sebastian overtaking Jenson Button? Come on McLaren, you should have protested that one! It was a carbon copy of Lewis on Kimi in Spa and not dissimilar to Lewis overtake in Magny-Cours both of which received penalties.

Yes, and the regulations are apparently even tighter this year; at least one wheel must remain on the circuit.

But only for silver cars being driven by drivers with an L in their name.

Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi disqualified from the Australian GP.
Both Saubers have been excluded for a technical infringement

Just seen it on Twitter.

Back
Top Bottom