Grand Prix 2011 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so finally it's here.

After the recent events in Bahrain the delayed 2011 Formula One season is underway this weekend in Melbourne, Australia.

For the history of the event and the circuit information, click on the link below:

Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit (Albert Park) | Clip The Apex

As we stand on the brink of the new F1 season there are many un-answered questions. How will the new tyres effect each team? who will find the right package from the off? and many others.

Unusually for a pre-season testing period there was very little information that could be gained by F1 fans as to who would have the upper hand as the season get's underway. Mclaren appear to be struggling with their new car while Ferrari and Red Bull seem to be the early pace setters.

Williams have designed a radical new car for this season and it could mark the return to the front end of the grid for them while the jury is still out as to the performance of Mercedes and if they can make up for a lacklustre season last year. Both Rosberg and Schumacher have been positive in the press about their new car however the time sheets at the pre-season tests didn't exactly match their opinions. Renault have designed one of the more radical cars at the start of the season but without the talent of Robert Kubica the team may not get off to the start they had hoped for. Heidfeld is an experienced replacement but will he have the speed that his former team mate has?

Towards the rear of the grid, Torro Rosso look like they could be swallowed by at least two of the new teams from last season while Sauber will hope to have built on their improvment from 2010 and move towards the front end of the grid. Force India will also be hoping that a rough showing in pre-season testing will not translate in to a rough season.

Of last seasons new teams, both Lotus and Virgin have made strides forward with their 2011 challengers. The very least they will be looking for at the first race is to match the times of the cars at the tail end of Q1. HRT meanwhile, look to have produced a car that is a leap ahead on their 2010 effort but will once again suffer from a total lack of pre-season testing and from a tiny budget with which to develop the car further.

So, who is going to be quick out of the box and who is going to suffer a rude awakening with their cars? The first indication we will have will be in the small hours of Thursday night/Friday morning Uk time but we won't really know until qualification starts on Saturday.

Bring it on..................

Nice to see the stewards taking the option of not penalising.

The last thing F1 needs is a load of grid penalties at the first race after such a thrilling qualifying session.

So can Lewis get his KERS unit sorted out before the race?

I'm not at all familiar with the Parc Ferme regulations surrounding this system.

I think only setup, gearbox, engines and tyres are covered by the parc fermé rules.

I haven't heard of anyone being penalised for fixing an electrical or KERS problem after qualifying and before the race.

What's interesting is that McLaren are actually having KERS problems. Their system was supposed to be bullet-proof.

Only for the first lap they would need to be a second quicker, as after that the driver in second place would be more than a second behind him and therefore not allowed to use DRS.
And the driver behind isn't allowed to use the DRS in the first two laps anyway, so half a second per lap would probably be enough..

Edit: Sorry Sportsman, if I'd looked over the page before posting I would have seen that you'd already made the same comment... :givemestrength:

Well qually chucked up a few shocks. For me, the midfield battle this season is going to be fantastic. Brilliant to see Petrov, Kobyashi and Buemi really have a good run into Q1.

Ferrari will wonder where all their pre-season pace went.

Remember though, that Seb conceded 118 points last season from Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon, with Webber conceding 94.

A Red Bull pole does not imply a Red Bull win, even if they are a slightly implausible 7 tenths clear.

Well that was heartening for the Mclaren fans out there. I certainly didn't expect them to split the Red Bulls and be clear of Ferrari.

But what planet is Seb on?! Jeeeeesus Christ those were two incredible laps in Q3! If he can convert this pace into wins more than last year then I can't see us having a close title battle on our hands this season. Still, here's hoping that Jenson's (and Lewis's increasingly) smooth style and the Mclaren's ability to get heat into the tyres will work in their favour tomorrow so they can perhaps get both ahead of Webber.

Petrov seems to be more competitive this year but Nick? Erm...

And GO KOBY!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom